Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rich - Your Avatar Thing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 23:24
Rich, how did you make your picture, under TGC Admin on all the messages you post?

Support Everton FC - They're The Best! And go to http://www.evertonfc.tk
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 23:31
From the same place that you selected yours - just enter a URL to your own image to replace that dancing chicken.

The picture is from the book cover of Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Cheers,

Rich

With our species on the edge of extermination,
with no prospect but a horrible death,
we actually played games.
Lance Lumpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 23:34
The fromt cover of Neuromancer. Interesting...

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 02:24
Ach. Thought I remembered it from somewhere. Although I hated that book. Well, it was nowhere near as good as my friend thought it was (he thought it was *the* best book ever).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 02:25
It's a classic piece of sci-fi, but by no means my favourite book ever. Nice cover though I prefer Mona Lisa Overdrive.. much better "plot".

Quite like Count Zero too for that matter.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 02:51
Best bit of Sci-fi I've read lately was Jennifer Government and Kil'n people. Tops.

Cheers

Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, Rich, ask from Lee Bamber, what is meen hes names command in DB

Ezerkilencszázhatvanba' / ördög szart a katlanba /aki először megszólal /azé lesz a katlan szar.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 03:04 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 03:05
I wish this Gery guy actually made sense when he spoke

[edit] on further deciphering, I think he wants Rich to ask Lee what the LeeBamber command (and the others) mean in DBC. Theyre Monty Python quotes, or at least some are.

Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
Moonshine: yes, i want this to ask, thanks

sorry for my english

Ezerkilencszázhatvanba' / ördög szart a katlanba /aki először megszólal /azé lesz a katlan szar.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 03:55
Monty Python and Red Dwarf quotes, from memory.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Enders Game....good book....Enders shadow was a okie book but havent read the rest of em.

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 05:50
Quote: "Monty Python and Red Dwarf quotes, from memory."

I don't know who they are. It's either I'm too young, or I should get out from under my rock.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 05:58
English comedy.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 06:13
wow, you don't know Red Dwarf and Monty Python... Heh... I'm Aussie, and I know them all too well, lol.

Red Dwarf is highly entertaining Hell, it's bloddy hilarious.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 06:39
I think Americans make up for Monty Python with stuff like South Park.

Amist the Blue Skies...
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 07:50
I am unfortunately familiar with the Monty Python movies. I didn't very much like them. And yes we do have lots of better comedies like South Park. Even though we are familiar with some british comedies as well.

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 08:49
Quote: ". And yes we do have lots of better comedies like South Park."

How the hell can we consider south park better then the great Monty Python? Everytime I have watched South Park, it just seems like a 30 minute fart and gay joke. Atleast Monty Python had class. Hell, I even named my parrot "Monty"(if you've seen the This Parrot is Dead Skit, you'd know why , even though my parrot isn't dead... YET).

--Eric

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: Magic the Gathering Fifth Dawn Prearealese
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 11:05
Quote: "And yes we do have lots of better comedies like South Park."

South Park? Are you kidding? There's no humour in: "Hey bitch, let's go around the corner and start swearing".

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 13:09
Dude.

South Park is about as funny as a relighting candle.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 13:55
Sorry, but I just don't find Monty Python to be this milestone in comic history. It may have had its moments, but for the large part, it's just that "zany" humour that when regular people try to do it, you just want to punch them.

South Park is very funny in my opinion. If you're unsure about it and only want to watch one episode to try it out, then make sure it's "Scott Tennorman must die" - it's like a freakin John Grisham Novel. Absolute Genius.

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
Lance Lumpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 14:22
I think i prefer Mothy Python to south park

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 16:01
South Park is rubbish. Its a bunch of very poorly animated 8 year olds swearing. Monty Python was, is, and has proved to be, one of the best and most influencial comedy groupings of all time. Its a true British Legacy. Not only did they do countless Monty Pythons Flying Circus shows, but also 3 great films and stage shows aswell. They were all fantastic comedians on their own (John Cleese being a favourite - Fawlty Towers). Eric Idle sang the theme tune to One Foot in The Grave. Theyre just great. Full Stop.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 18:47
Quote: "I think Americans make up for Monty Python with stuff like South Park"
Really? Ok....

Ahem. Smegging hell....

Cheers

I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. etc

Lance Lumpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:20
Monty Python:

Lots of Flying Circus Episodes
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 22:32 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 22:37
Quote: "Not only did they do countless Monty Pythons Flying Circus shows, but also 3 great films and stage shows aswell."

That is no argument.

Jasper Carrot has shows, Jim Davidson, Michael Barrymore... - you're gonna tell me they're funny? Just because you're on TV doesn't mean you're good. It means there's a market for crap comedy. As for films, try the 5,436 (or however many there are) "Carry On" films. Don't even think about telling me they're funny. If you (or anyone) say that the Carry On series of films are good comedy, I will knock on your door and crowbar your knees - I swear to god.

--- edit
I shall concede that the Flying Circus show did have some moments, but not really the films. Same with RedDwarf - it was a little funny, but it doesn't warrent this huge geeky following it seems to have acrued.

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 22:45
Whatever your opinion, nobody in their right mind can say that South Park is better than Monty Python.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 22:57
Personally ... i find each funny;
South Park is as funny as relighting a candle, because they would relight it but turning cartman upside down filling him full of chilli beans created by dr. memphesto and punch him til he farts fire. (it was done before and cracked me up)
Monty Python is funny because it was just surreal and abstract from normal humour of it's kind.
Red Dwarf is funny because the characters are a bunch of loosers and probably why it is so popular.
Jasper Carrot is funny ... if you don't believe he is, 'Magic Roundabout Side B'

Alot of programs are funny to me in different ways. Perhaps I have a broader sense of humour than most; As I find Spin City amusing, just as I found Spaced pretty funny.

At the end of the day it is all a matter of taste.
The only reason Monty Python is considered 'definitive' comedy is simply because there has been atleast one moment in it which has appealed to someones humour and made them laugh. They covered so much whilst trying not to be standard slap-stick like Laurel and Hardey or such.

No doubt you never found then funny or Albert and Costello.
Hell you probably don't find William Shatner's attempts at acting funny

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy: the FUNNIEST books ever written. the tv shows sucked but i hope the new movie will be a lot better

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:09
"'Magic Roundabout Side B'" - probably the only funny thing Jasper Carrot has ever done. But still pretty funny *Boing!* said Zebedee

Python is hilariously brilliant, especially the TV shows, radio shows and songs.

Anyone who thinks SouthPark is JUST about the fart jokes and things needs to watch the film. Its taking the p*ss out of people like you Very funny but NOT in the same league as Python. Simpsons, maybe yes. South Park, No.

Gosh people not finding python funny, next thing you know you'll be saying Faulty Towers isn't funny

Red Dwarf is much more of an aquired taste, but I thought it was great. Tongue tied was especially good. And talky toaster. and THE PEN IS BLUE

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:23
Quote: "next thing you know you'll be saying Faulty Towers isn't funny"

I WILL KILL THEM! Faulty towers was great

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent
Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
south park is socio-political commentary cleverly disguised as an endless stream of swearing and crude humor, which is why i find it so amusing. seriously, they are like an extremely crude version of the simpsons (sometimes too crude in my opinion, but i like the older episodes). i find that it is mostly theatre people that are die-hard MP freaks, i enjoy it too but these people have like entire films memorized, it's scary.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net.
no: website for progs yet.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 10:34
Quote: "Just because you're on TV doesn't mean you're good. It means there's a market for crap comedy."

Isn't that contradictory? If there's a market for something then how can it be crap? Just because you think it's crap, doesn't mean it is.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:21 Edited at: 24th May 2004 16:22
And what about black adder and Mr bean, great stuff, although mr Bean can get irritating if you watch it too much

Ahem, and now to go back to my old acting days.....

1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:36
When I said south park I did not mean that it wasthe best comedy, but it is better than Monty Python.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:47 Edited at: 24th May 2004 16:47
I KILL YOU!!!

Actually, i can see where you are coming from. I really ddepends on what kind of comedy you prefer. I actually like both, for different reasons.

Did i mention that i am a fish?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 18:13
Monty Python opened the floodgates of alternative comedy, that is why they are legendary.

Jasper Carrot was the first comedian to use everday life as his subject for humour. At the time, in the '70s, it was considered highly controversial. Oh yes, and he owns 25% of Carlton Media (who own the rights to Millionaire).

The Americans bought the production rights to Fawlty Towers, for the third time, last year. they removed one character who wouldn't translate into American humour very well...Basil Fawlty!

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 19:20
Did you know that a lot of the things in south park were based on the kind of comedy from Monty Python.

I'm makin' a cake...
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
south park has some funny bits

goddam mongolians... KNOCK DOWN MA SHITTY WALL!

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:06
"goddam mongolians... KNOCK DOWN MA SHITTY WALL!"

Aww man I was watching that episode at like 3 am the other night drunk, and everytime he said that I laughed more and more. By the end I was crying and my stomach hurt! Genius

And yes, Mat and Trey who write South Park said that their main influence when writing was old Python episodes I know because I read it in an interview in a "top shelf" magazine

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:13
Quote: "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy: the FUNNIEST books ever written. the tv shows sucked but i hope the new movie will be a lot better"
Can't argue with that one. Although I do own the DVDs too as I loved the books as a kid. Anyone who thinks they like Sci-fi and/or comedy should read these books basically. Then think again. While sucking on a towel obviously...

I actually really like South Park. Just wasn't as good overall as Python. And Cleese was a god in Fawlty Towers IMHO.

Carrot is better in book form. I laughed my head off when reading sweet and sour labrador. Top book.

Oh, and Black Adder is for me, almost the greatest comedy of all time. Apart from the 4th series of course. And that effort with the Millenium dome...

But Red Dwarf is the smeggest of the lot me old mateys. Love it. And you have to laugh at that Smeg company that makes fridges. With their logo right across the front too S M E G... heh...

Cheers

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:50
The thing is, that SMEG fridges are pretty much the best fridges money can buy, which makes it even more hilarious

And by the forth series of blackadder, do you mean Black Adder goes Forth, the World War series? Cos personally I thought that was the best one! The first one was the worst imho, but I liked them all

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Monty Python only has a few funny gags. The Parrot Sketch, the Knight that keeps fighting back, a few other funny moments, but smothered in 50 hours of nonsense. South park has more funny moments than Python, but they are crammed inside some sick gags that should be banned. Fawlty Towers is brilliant all of the time. So is One Foot In The Grave. I also like Carry On films, because they are so innocent of indecency, and the lines are very clever. America gave us Jim Carrey if you want to state something that has no comparison to the UK.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:37:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:37:22