Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie needs advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Salutations everyone.

Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked a thousand times!

In October this year I start my final year project for my Computer Science degree. I've been toying with different ideas for a while now and I have come across Dark Basic and think its fantastic. I'am a total FPS fanboy and would love to make my own FPS game. A couple of questions though if you will indulge me;

1. What does everyone use to create 3D models? Whats needed to create .x files? I've never used 3D apps before and wouldn't want to get bogged down in it too much. I am very competant in Photoshop and The Gimp. Is it a similar type of concept?

2. From the showcases, examples, and tutorials I have seen I havnt come across a Doom/Wolfenstein 3D type matrix/map/layout. I assume this is possible? i.e. walls, low ceilings, rooms, picking up objects etc.

3. I have borrowed a copy of Dark Basic. When I buy my own copy, should I buy that, or Dark Basic Pro? And what advantages does Pro give me? (does it have a 3D model creator?)

Thanks for any help everyone

Bryan
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 16:32
Hi,

1) Personally I use MilkShape to create them, and CharFX to animated them. Pretty different to 2d so I'd say get some shareware/demo's and give 'em a whirl, see how you get on. If you want to start at the really simple end of things, look for Doga. All of these export to .X...

2) There is a map demo and basic fps demo somewhere, but yes, totally possible. It sounds to me like you'd love TGC's next piece of software, which is an FPS creator. Much easier that writing one from scratch in DBC/DBP, but it depends if you want to program it your self or create it through another piece of software, with less coding. Alternativly, check out Cartography Shop, excellent, and simple to use 3d level editor, good for FPS, exports to .X also.

3) Check out the specs for DBC/DBP on this web site, depends what you need from the software, but IMPO I'd say DB Pro for sure, having owned both for a while now.

Hope it helps,
Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:37:37