Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / dbp pyramid icon hijacking other desktop icons?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 16:49
Anyone else have this happen. I have had the dbp pyramid icon hijack MS Visio icon today, and a couple weeks ago it hijacked another icon. Is dbp trying to take over?

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 16:52 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 16:53
Things like that used to happen a lot with older OS's - get XP...
I think its the icon area of memory getting corrupted or something.

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:02
dont let the coding area fool yea... its a big cover up. Lee and them are trying to conquer the world and their first steps are your desktop... j/k. Yea what The Coding Area Basicly said.
*Takes the bribe money*

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:11 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 17:12

I have always noticed that 2k pro does some weird desktop refreshes just as a general thing that happens every so often, but this whole hijacking business is a new one. This machine is sooooo overdue for a full reformat, etc it's not even funny. I haven't done it in over a year (yikes!) but that was because I was going to build a new machine anyway, but that keeps getting pushed back (dammit!) I should have done it when I had the chance back in January.

oh well.
Thanks

EDIT: Oh yeah - I will NEVER use XP....EVER!

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:20
You could use Linux then. Of course, you couldn't use DBPro then

Whats wrong with XP? After i removed almost all the user friendly-ness, its become a wonderful operating system.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:28
Quote: "Oh yeah - I will NEVER use XP....EVER!"

Why not? Its fast, stable, SP2 is great and you can even make it look like 2000...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:39
hehe, Windows has done that since 95, and it happens with icons of al sorts

Don't let TCA fool you, it happens in XP too. I've seen it twice. It's something to do with the memory running out I think.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:41
Its a well known Windows bug. Given the rather idiotic way in which listview icons work, I can understand how it can happen.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:55
If I am going to invest time and effort into a new ms os, I'd just as soon wait for the longhorn thingy. For me XP seems too buggy and too security-hole riddled to even bother, not to mention the whole call ms after two installs horse crap. Although most of the same could be said for previous os's, I find 2k pro to be ultra-stable and have had no complaints.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 17:57
Yeah, I got it with 2k too.

Nowt problem with XP though.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 18:06
Indeed XP is very stable. Even better with RC2 - unfortunately Longhorn will probably be delayed even longer due to more people working on the XP update.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 18:08
Quote: "For me XP seems too buggy and too security-hole riddled to even bother, not to mention the whole call ms after two installs horse crap. Although most of the same could be said for previous os's, I find 2k pro to be ultra-stable and have had no complaints."

Erm, that doesn't make sense. XP *is* 2K. They might look quite different but underneath they are almost identical. (Hence the version numbers 5.0 and 5.1, just like Win95 was 4.0 and Win98 was 4.1)
I would say that with SP1 or better, XP is probably more secure than 2K.

XP is much better than Windows 98/95 (Goodness knows how anyone ever developed anything in that OS), and the same as 2K for reasons I've already mentioned.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 18:11
Hey, 98SE rules! I made 2d DirectX 5 games in that! And Klik & Play games. And QBasic games. Thats about as low as i got.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 18:17
That is low...

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:02
Quote: "Erm, that doesn't make sense. XP *is* 2K. They might look quite different but underneath they are almost identical. (Hence the version numbers 5.0 and 5.1, just like Win95 was 4.0 and Win98 was 4.1)
I would say that with SP1 or better, XP is probably more secure than 2K."

Yep. Common misconception - XP is 2000 with a few more bells and whistles plus a few bits to make migration from the DOS-based systems a little easier.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:13
Quote: "Erm, that doesn't make sense. XP *is* 2K. They might look quite different but underneath they are almost identical"

Yeah, no crap. But the operative word being "almost". XP is a new os built on top of 2000 - ok, so what. I don't like the changes they made, so I stick with 2000 pro. Are you saying that just because xp is built on top of 2000 then they are really the same thing, if you are then that is sick. Why do XP and 2000 pro have separate service packs? Because they are 2 distinctly different operating systems, regardless of what they may have in common under the hood. So back to my original statement: When XP was released all I saw was reports about how vulnerable it was with regards to security, not from things in 2000, but new holes they opened up in XP only. Yes all MS OS are unbelievably unsecure, but XP added a whole new group of problems to the mix. If XP "is the same" as 2000 then I'd just as soon stay with 2000, and stay with less problems.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:19
Im unsure about LongHorn. A friend told me that M$ are puttin Spyware directly into it to stop people illegally downloading music/ file sharing etc. I personaly dont do either, but still I dont like the idea that Im being spyed on and theres nothing I can do to prevent it.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:25
some would say there are already spyware dll's in windows since 98 and NT 3.x. I forget the dll name(s) but I read about this a while back. whatever.

maybe we should all ban together and write our own OS

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 19:37
I get a similar problem as well. It only happens when using dbpro. Still it's minor compared to the wierdness I had with dbpro and win98. I don't really see randomly changing icons that switch back after a reboot much of a problem, definatly not a big enought one to make me spend money to fix.

he told me that he loved me and then he kicked me in the chest
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:01
Quote: "Im unsure about LongHorn. A friend told me that M$ are puttin Spyware directly into it to stop people illegally downloading music/ file sharing etc."

ha ha

Sorry had to get that out of my system

No, MS won't put spyware in it. Otherwise, people couldn't download legal MP3s

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:14 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 23:15
this happens to me a lot

whenever i quit a full screen app like jedi knight 2 or a dbc program all my desktop items are wrong like my computer is internet explorer and dark basic is recycle bin and internet explorer is word.

my pc has 256mb of ram and it only really happens when i run a high performance program like a game so it really proberly is a memory problem.

ps i like the sound of us all programming a new os
bagsme doing the icon system

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:25 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 23:25
Quote: "XP is a new os built on top of 2000 - ok, so what. I don't like the changes they made, so I stick with 2000 pro."

Your original arguement was that you didn't like XP because it had a lot of security holes. Now you said you just "don't like the changes they made." Which is it?

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:26
Quote: "ha ha

Sorry had to get that out of my system

No, MS won't put spyware in it. Otherwise, people couldn't download legal MP3s
"

There has been rumors (a lot of them) about microsoft and / or the goverment asking motherboard manufactures to put special chips on their motherboards. They are supposed to log every event on your pc (so if you view a site, microsoft and the government will know which site, ip, etc)
Without this chip the OS isn't fully functional.

I dont know if those rumors are true, but they sure scare the hell out of everybody.

Here are some intresting links:
http://www.epic.org/privacy/consumer/microsoft/palladium.html
http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,53805,00.html

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:30
HZ,

Quote: "Your original arguement was that you didn't like XP because it had a lot of security holes. Now you said you just "don't like the changes they made." Which is it? "

Yeah, the changes they made INCLUDING the new security holes

Sorry I didn't spell it out in 80 foot tall neon letters. I give people more credit than that. Stop fishing for silly things to perpetuate this.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 03:15
Quote: "(Goodness knows how anyone ever developed anything in that OS)"

By saving every 30 seconds. I should know

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sorry I didn't spell it out in 80 foot tall neon letters. I give people more credit than that. Stop fishing for silly things to perpetuate this."

Oh my...aren't we ludicrously defensive

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:06
well as far as i am concerned OS pakages should be FREE, after all the same company SHAFTS us on the supporting apps as well. which themselves are often bugged stupid. I thought it was ILLEGAL to KNOWINGLY SELL FAULTY GOODS

could you imagine buying a ZX81 all those years ago only to be told you needed £130 worth of operating system to make it do anything, and that it may need patching several times in order to make it do what it should have done WHEN YOU FIRST PURCHASED IT, NO!

lets put it this way, would you pay £130 for something that is perpetually broken, say a portable TV that only displays static
or £130 on a security system that opens the door for intruders because they forgot to add this or patch that. NO!!!

And because YOU SPENT MONEY ON WINDOWS, that is exactly what you have gone and done!!

IT SHOULD BE FREE BECAUSE IT'S FAULTY, THROUGH AND THROUGH.

and as for LONGHORN, I'll wait for it to pass throught the minds of the L33T hackers and crackers before I go near it!!! coz I trust them WAY MORE than Microshaft.

and what the hell is RPC in aid of? BILL, you'r an IDIOT LAMER. get your lame act together or Linux64 and TurboLINUX will leave your shaftware and semi Operating systems standing!

PS. I own 2 copies of 95, 1 copy of 98, 2 copies of 98SE, 1 copy of SERVER 2000, 1 copy of 2000pro and 2 copies of XPpro ALL legit, and I will never pay for another operating system as long as i live. you see i've been shafted by MS too many times now. And you will too! it's the nature of the beast we have come to wrongly tolerate!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:29
Quote: "which themselves are often bugged stupid. I thought it was ILLEGAL to KNOWINGLY SELL FAULTY GOODS"

If I remember correctly, a service pack was available before Win2k was available in stores.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:37
Quote: "I thought it was ILLEGAL to KNOWINGLY SELL FAULTY GOODS"

Define 'faulty' with software. How'd you like it if games were pushed back years in development beacuse it was illegal for them to be published with a single, miniscule bug?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 13:44 Edited at: 24th May 2004 13:52
OS's cant be free (like Linux), because you just dont get anywhere - you cant deal with the latest hardware or protocols. The other problem with free OS's is that its always in a beta state and cant really be trusted to be stable and functional. There is generally no defined development or testing structure.

Quote: "ILLEGAL to KNOWINGLY SELL FAULTY GOODS"

Means that the product breaks or fails in some way - Windows XP does neither. Ie the operating system works fine - you can run programs and games and many other things.

Quote: "could you imagine buying a ZX81 all those years ago only to be told you needed £130 worth of operating system to make it do anything,"

The high-ish price at the start was to take into account the cost of having the OS in ROM. You can get XP pretty cheap from online stores - just need to look around.

Quote: "IT SHOULD BE FREE BECAUSE IT'S FAULTY, THROUGH AND THROUGH."

NO ITS NOT!

Quote: "Linux64 and TurboLINUX will leave your shaftware and semi Operating systems standing!"

Ha ha ha... Thats a good one... *walks away laughing*

Quote: "it's the nature of the beast we have come to wrongly tolerate!"

And how do you propose to make it cheaper then ? Sack a few hundred people - development time would then extend...

When an OS fails its either a) viruses (users fault) b) corrupt files (could be users fault) or c) cheap and dodgy hardware (certainly the users fault for choosing the hardware in the first place).

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 14:05 Edited at: 24th May 2004 14:08
Quote: "Are you saying that just because xp is built on top of 2000 then they are really the same thing, if you are then that is sick. Why do XP and 2000 pro have separate service packs? Because they are 2 distinctly different operating systems, regardless of what they may have in common under the hood."

The XP & 2K Service Packs are seperate because the XP Service Pack has to include updates for the XP-only addons as well as the common fixes.

Quote: " Yes all MS OS are unbelievably unsecure"

Common misconception. Most attacks are successful because of things users or administrators do wrong. If you set up an XP box correctly and carefully it will be very secure.

The prime difference between Windows and say Linux is that Linux has much more turned off by default. Arguably, Linux is more simplistic in certain areas (eg: file security - 9 options versus 20+ in Windows which can apply to any number of groups or users), which makes it much easier for admins to configure and secure.

Over 140 new commands
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:34
can i slap geecee3?

please?

@geecee3

If it don't work, its your bloody problem. there are eaps of people that run XP with no probs (like me). Its your setup that is bein bad

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 17:15
geecee3 is on a crusade, boys ...

...but I do wish people would study their subject matter before starting them .

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 19:24
Quote: "can i slap geecee3?"

No you cant - thats my job!

_Nemesis_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 19:47
i read it was because of the icon cache...
i think some tweak program (possible tweak ui) has an option to refresh the icon cache.
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 20:33
I think it would be far better if the os's were made simpler
Why does winxp use 2.5 gb of hard disk space and about a third of the proccesing power of your for all this user-friendlyness while managing to get horribly confused when i try to install a simultaneous second modem.
For every picture on your computer, winxp creates a second one about 40*60 in size(and sometimes a third) wasting large amounts of hard-disk space, to save you the trouble of clicking on the picture. And periodically dragging me out of whatever game im playing, to report that i have unused desktop icons.
Also whenever my computer crashes (as it often does), it for some reason uninstalls the keyboard, so i cannot skip the scandisk or worse enter the bios until windows has started up.
.and anyway winxp is not very secure, despite the service patches. The firewall in windows xp seems to count for nothing agains the malware that regulary infects my computer

I'm Right and Reality is lying
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 20:37
Isnt it great how an innocent thread about an icon bug can turn into a breeding ground for anti-microsoft sentiments

I'm Right and Reality is lying
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 21:01

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.3 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 21:35
Quote: "The firewall in windows xp seems to count for nothing agains the malware that regulary infects my computer
"

Thats why you should get Service Pack 2... And get yourself an anti-virus program

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 12:02
Quote: "I think it would be far better if the os's were made simpler
Why does winxp use 2.5 gb of hard disk space and about a third of the proccesing power of your for all this user-friendlyness while managing to get horribly confused when i try to install a simultaneous second modem.
For every picture on your computer, winxp creates a second one about 40*60 in size(and sometimes a third) wasting large amounts of hard-disk space, to save you the trouble of clicking on the picture. And periodically dragging me out of whatever game im playing, to report that i have unused desktop icons.
Also whenever my computer crashes (as it often does), it for some reason uninstalls the keyboard, so i cannot skip the scandisk or worse enter the bios until windows has started up.
.and anyway winxp is not very secure, despite the service patches. The firewall in windows xp seems to count for nothing agains the malware that regulary infects my computer."

again, the problem is poorly set up system.
First of all, thumbnails are optional thing. You can set them to be generate everywhere, in specific folders or nowhere at all. I find them very useful in two places, when browsing through hundreds of images and when trying to find that on album amongst the many out on my mp3 folder. (I use cover images as folder art)

the keyboard thing is mostly likely a hardware or driver problem. Not necessarily XP's fault, you know.

It doesn't eat 2.5 GB's unless you want it to. I think 2 GB is probably the normal install. Although with patches and SP's it might raise. If you're running out of space on the primary partition, just move your swap file to some other drive or change it's configuration.
Usually my processing percent is around 1 or 2 percents when idling. (having open programs but not doing anything except listening to winamp)

as for the unused icons message, you could set it off too, you know? But I bet you just let it stay on because you like to complain about it, rather than do something about it.

the XP firewall should be used only when you are on your way to get a proper one.

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 12:54
Quote: "the XP firewall should be used only when you are on your way to get a proper one."

The one in SP2 is much better and is useful addition to have.

Quote: "Why does winxp use 2.5 gb of hard disk space and "

Dont forget that x86 assembly is extremely inefficient...

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 13:01
Quote: "The one in SP2 is much better and is useful addition to have."

yeah, but the thing is, SP2 isn't released yet, and I don't want to be MS guinea pig or lab rat testing the RC's out. Good chances are that you can't install the Official SP2 over the RC's and you can't get rid of the RC either.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 13:06
You should be able to uninstall the RC - and I'm going to try and overwrite the test version with the released version, when it comes out. With any luck it'll work out okay...

las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 13:25
hope so.
I just don't feel like risking it. Unlike 98se, XP stays clean and non-bloated if you just set it up right and occasionally check a few things. So formats & reinstalls are unnecessary work...

speaking of reinstalling, does anyone know any program that I could use to make an xp installer disc with extra software? Say, I would like all the updates and service packs to be included, along with Firewall program and few other useful things like ffdshow, winamp and so on...
Size isn't the limit here, as I could use a DVD.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 07:19
Quote: "Thats why you should get Service Pack 2... And get yourself an anti-virus program"
Have the problems with DBP and SP2 that i've been hearing about been resolved? If not I'll stick with SP1.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 10:33 Edited at: 15th Jun 2004 10:34
Quote: "Have the problems with DBP and SP2 that i've been hearing about been resolved?"

The problems only relate to 64-bit processors. Its easy enough to get around anyway (just annoying).

The place for great plug-ins and things.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the TCA way...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 03:03:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 03:03:55