Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Top 10 Games :) !!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 18:00 Edited at: 24th May 2004 18:03
1. Quake 3: Arena (PC)
2. Quake 2 (PC)
3. Need for Speed 7: Underground (PS2)
4. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)
5. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)
6. Xenosaga Episode 1 (PS2)
7. MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (PC)
8. Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)
9. MechCommander 2 (PC)
10. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (PC)

It's just so much fun to make small 30-minute mods for Q3A and Q2...

Quote: "BUSTED! Solidz Snake changed his name back in February and only posts here occasionally, for you to even know of his existance you would have had to predate your joining date by several months."

lol, nice one!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 18:01 Edited at: 24th May 2004 18:01
Wow, someone else who likes/plays Lords of the Realm II ! Want an online match sometime Magellan ?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 18:46
1) Elite (Spectrum)
2) Total Annihilation (PC)
3) Everquest (PC)
4) Formula One Grand Prix (Amiga)
5) Civilisation 2 (PC)
6) Jetpac (Spectrum)
7) Missile Command (Arcade)
8) Dark Omen (PC)
9) Formula One Grand Prix 2-4 (PC)
10) Day of Defeat (PC - Independant)

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 19:39
@Mouse- Sure....if i can find my CD i think it got lost

if i find it then i'll tell you

P.S. have you ever gone through the campain on hardest and only using peasents?!....it's fun!

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 19:52
Only peasents ? Heck no I'm not that dedicated . I'll take longbows & macemen, thanks !

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:00
@Everwhat Studios: OMG! Your probably the only person I know(apart from me ) that has even heard of panzer dragoon saga! That was like, my favourite game .

1)Panzer Dragoon Saga(Saturn)
2)Final Fantasy 7(Playstation)
3)Sonic Adventure(Dreamcast)
4)Sonic Adventure 2(Dreamcast)
5)Mario kart(SNES)
6)Starfox 64(N64)
7)Starfox(SNES)
8)RED DOG(Dreamcast)
9)Daytona USA(Arcade)
10)Super Mario World(SNES)

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "8) Prince of Persia (PC) (First one)"

sw33t game

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:03 Edited at: 24th May 2004 22:10
Mr Pet Rat "OMG! Your probably the only person I know(apart from me ) that has even heard of panzer dragoon saga! That was like, my favourite game."
Amazing game. Stunning Game. Easily the best RPG I've ever played, even better than FFVII even better than Grandia, even better than Chrono Trigger ANYONE who like Fantasy RPGs And/Or flying Dragons, go on Ebay NOW and put down the £150 or so needed for a copy of the game and a Saturn. Truely ROCKS

Pretty nice list Petrat, except for Sonic Adventure 2. I was really looking forward to that game, but when it came out I thought it sucked. Basically cos it forces you to do levels in a certain order, unlike the original. I hate being forced to play 1 fast level then 1 slow level then 1 fast one etc. Haven't played the GC version to see if it fixes that tho. I like Sonic Heroes though have you tried that?

Raven Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES/AMIGA)
Did SSF2T come out on SNES or Amiga? I only ever saw a DOSPC Home version, and eventually in SFCollection for PS1 and Saturn. I'm not saying they didn't come out, I've no idea. If they did I'll have to track down copies. I have SF2, SSF2 and SF2T for SNES & Amiga, just not SSF2T (which is just that little bit better )

Lol at the time, with different SF2 versions, Capcom were worse than EASports for identikit sequels, but I still bought em all

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:37
Quote: "Only peasents ? Heck no I'm not that dedicated . I'll take longbows & macemen, thanks !"

actually they are better then you might think the thing is is that they are extremely cheap and you can raise hundreds of them right from the start! and you also have to use them right...the trick is to totally surround your enemy

but i agree, i usually use macemen and other stuff

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:51
Thought Id base it on time spent playing, not always the same as most enjoyable but I guess they must have something

1. Diablo II [also D2exp] (PC)
Best game ever made & its on budget now so go buy it!
2. Tomb Raider III (PC)
3. Anarchy Online (PC MMORPG)
4. Everquest (PC MMORPG)
5. Commandos (PC)
6. Dungeon Keeper II (PC)
7. Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
8. Atik Atak (Spectrum) - My 2nd best game ever.
9. Jet Set Willy (Spectrum)
10.Leather Godess of Phobos (PC)

Twynklet
LordDario
Years of Service
User Offline
i think you will find it interesting to know that morrow wind elder scrolls actually seems like it might have enough votes as of right now to make it into the top 100
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not a fair vote anyway...cmc gets to vote about 10 times.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 02:05
Ach. Too hard.... ok....

1. Elite (Spectrum)
2. Kick Off 2 (Atari ST)
3. Football Manager (Spectrum)
4. Doom
5. Quake
6. Unreal Tournament (Original)
7. Mario Kart (GBA)
8. Day of the Tentacle
9. Carmaggedon
10.Underworld (Spectrum) - Hmmm. Swap with just about any Ultimate game, but this is normally my fave....

Would be different tomorrow I reckon

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 02:29
I'll only list 5 titles that I found/find most impressive.

1) Operation Jupiter, Atari ST
I really liked it a lot, combining differnt genres in one main theme)

2) Seven Cities of Gold Atari 800
I think that was the first game I played till early mornings.

3) Civ 2
Quite a huge game. The inital version was very buggy, though.

4) Gothic I & II + addon
I like part I a bit more and it was the second game I played until early mornings. I know two of the inital developpers very well, so I'm probably a bit biased.

5) Ultima Underworld- The Stygian Abyss
That was very cool. Brilliant ideas (Lizard man language, etc).

There were a lot more, esp. some arcade games I played way back. But these ones I remember best.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 02:31
Quote: "I know two of the inital developpers very well, so I'm probably a bit biased."

Seriously? I've always admired Gothic I and II-- send them my congrats ...

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 02:39
Quote: "Seriously? I've always admired Gothic I and II-- send them my congrats"

Thanks, I'll do.
One of them played in a band I had in the early 90s. That was before he changed sides and became a game programmer... traitor . But we still meet frequently (twice or three times a year).

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 03:14
Quote: "go on Ebay NOW and put down the £150 or so needed for a copy of the game and a Saturn. Truely ROCKS "

Lol yeah..I would be still playing it right now if I had it. I wish I had at least not lost the demo CD!(the demo CD was actually disc 1)

Quote: "I like Sonic Heroes though have you tried that? "
I've heard its quite good but I've never played it.

Quote: "Did SSF2T come out on SNES or Amiga?"

I remember playing it on the SNES, that was a great game.

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 03:47
damn, I can't belive I forgot about mechwarrior 3 and 4!!

Amist the Blue Skies...
SuperEmu
Years of Service
User Offline
woohoo! first post!

1. Half-life (PC)
2. Diablo 1 & 2 (PC) sorry, i cannot seperate them.
3. Command and Conquer (PC)
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
5. Fallout (PC)
6. Daggerfall (PC)
7. Ultima Online (PC)
8. Vandal Hearts (PS1)
9. Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
10. Street Fighter 2 (ARCADE)

now that was definitely not easy!
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 06:17
Quote: "Day of the Tentacle"

Hey I remember that game. Someone forgot to uninstall it when we bought our first PC (My first comp was second hand...), so technically I was playing it illegally, but hey . I had to look for an FAQ to continue past the salad thingy.

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 12:01
Yeah the demo CD given away on the magazine was the whole first CD Genius bit of marketting as it got you hooked on the Story at that deep

Hmmm are you sure it wasn't SSF2 or SF2T rather than SSF2T??? I can't find a copy on google anywhere Mind you I still haven't played the SNES version of SFA2 either, would love to though

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 15:24
I can't believe so many people demand so little from roleplaying games as to think Morrowind is actually any good. Take one look past the world/map, and realise the chatacers, that are the heart of roleplaying, are about as deep as a paddling pool. It's not a terrible game, it's just not particularly good. People have to have involving roles to play to be a good role playing game. Morrowind has a huge map in its favour and nothing else. Even the combat is shoddy.

Signature? No! Obsolete! These days it's all about chip and pin!
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 16:28
@SuperEmu

Quote: "woohoo! first post!"

What are you, stupid?

@all

Am i the only one here who has played Escape Velocity? Great game, little hints of elite in it. Theres a new PC version called EV: Nova, but its not as good as the original

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 16:40
i remember it Flibble, but only by name...
and yeah i'm totally sure it's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and on the snes.

http://www.cahudson.freeserve.co.uk/software/ssf2t.htm

Some sites mention it was only for the Gensis/Mega Drive; Although the box I have says Super Street Fighter 2 on it, it has the Turbo options and addition character colours that only the Turbo version had hehee

No matter Turbo or not still by far the definitive and imo only beat'em up worth anything

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 16:47 Edited at: 25th May 2004 16:52
Morrowind isn't bad, and I can't say it's good either. But I added it because it has plenty of missions and stuff to keep me busy. I don't even count it as an RPG, just another FPS. Maybe it's bland meat compared to the FF games, but it's got lots of meat. From your judgement, I can dismiss that Ragnarok is just an MMO-Isometric-Hack 'n Slash. MMORPGs don't have stories because that can cause the game to be linear and a story can't go on forever, so it maintains the setting of the "world" instead. Morrowind is a kind of massively single player offline RPG.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Pong though.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 17:10
Am I the only one to play and complete Terminal Velocity, Hellbender and Fury3 only to realise afterwards that they were in fact all the same game?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 18:35
@Exeat I have played terminal velocity and Fury 3, but they were demos i enjoyed'em though

I'm makin' a cake...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 19:01
Quote: "Morrowind isn't bad, and I can't say it's good either. But I added it because it has plenty of missions and stuff to keep me busy. I don't even count it as an RPG, just another FPS. Maybe it's bland meat compared to the FF games, but it's got lots of meat. From your judgement, I can dismiss that Ragnarok is just an MMO-Isometric-Hack 'n Slash. MMORPGs don't have stories because that can cause the game to be linear and a story can't go on forever, so it maintains the setting of the "world" instead. Morrowind is a kind of massively single player offline RPG."

Woot? Morrowind is the RPG-est RPG ever to be made. A complex spell and spell-making system, eight character statistics, a plethora of skills, vast amounts of weapons, armor, clothing, etc, detailed NPC interaction... the Final Fantasy games are nothing but interactive arcade movies!

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 19:19
Raven - Yep SSF2 on SNES did have turbo options, just missed the 'Finishing Moves' of SSF2T and a few of the new moves for Cammy & Deejay I think, from what I can find. Still a damned good game though, loved all SF2 to bits, the bset Capcom 2d 1on1 fighters other than that were probably SFAlpha2 and MarvelVsCapcom. All v different kettles of rom tho

Exeat - Sorry only played Terminal Velocity. Loved it to bits tho, one of the few Flight sim type games I've liked, probably cos of its more arcade like tendencies. Like a more free form Starfox in a way, if that makes sense

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 19:31 Edited at: 25th May 2004 19:33
@Mouse

Well, I don't like FF either. In fact, I prefer Morrowind. I don't like turn based combat in a third person style game. To me it seems like a contradiction in terms. At least in Morrowind you get to run in, slashing with axes etc. It has always baffled me how anyone can like the FF fighting system, but I guess people want different things from games. When I play an RPG I want it to feel realistic, within the bounds of fantasy. So I can accept magic is real in a fantasy world, but I can't accept people stand opposite each other, taking turns to batter each other, and happily taking a good clubbing around the head when it's not their turn to deal some.

But yes, morrowind has all the makings of a good RPG, with the exception of characters that you give two sh*ts about. If they'd made it so that the NPCs were actually half interesting, then it could've been great. As it stands, as you roam around, the NPCs feel like AI androids, which doesnt do much for the realism, or sense of involvement. Feels like your roleplaying the only living creature in a huge world of poorly animated cyborgs.

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 19:55
Quote: "the Final Fantasy games are nothing but interactive arcade movies!"

True. I tried FF-X before because my brother bought it. Switched back to NFSU after 10 minutes.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 20:40
Fallout-> Yeah, the static NPCs were Morrowind's biggest failing. A bit of dynamic scripting could have fixed them up. But there are zounds of plugins that help fix the problem, along with easily ten whole game of the years' content worth of quest plugins, and amazing new spell effects and areas and characters and... everything... avalaible through plugins.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 21:47
Bloody plugins!!!!

Ok, I'll go check them out when I have time and see how much they fix the game up. My comments are all based on the original non-patched version. Just saw huge potential ruined by the NPCs.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 22:22
Wow! Patch it, and get the plugins. It's hard to know what to recommend. There are thousands. Some are on Morrowind Summit ; others on TheLys, and many unfortunatly never get widely released. Try Unforgotten Realms too. Check out the official mod forums for some of the newer stuff. It's actually been almost a year since I've played due to hardware suck factor, but some I used...

-Blood and Gore
-Avenger's Female Clothing & Armor
-The Undead Dungeons
-Real Sneaking (Wasn't called that; t'was a mod which made your closeness to light effect sneaking, and let you pinch candles, turn lights on/off, etc)
-Weather Based Stealth (or something like that)
-Give Your Orders (awesome)
-Dracandos' Voice
-A load of quest mods
-Assassin's Armory
-Adul's Weapons & Armor (and his other mods)
-Advanced Combat

To name a very few ; I in fact had so many mods that my loading time was only 30% on loading Morrowind and Tribunal base files!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:21:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:21:29