Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need to Interview a Game Designer for School Project!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 02:30
Hey all,
I am doing a school career project, and the career i chose is Computer/Video Game Design, because thats what i wanna be when i get older!
I have to present info on this career to my class, and my teacher said posters are over rated, so do something creative. She mentioned videos, interviews, etc. I dont know how i could make a video of game design, so if anyone has any ideas on that, please help.
But i decided to see if any one on this board would be willing to have me interview them, over the internet, with just a few questions on game design. So...if theres anyone willing to help me out, please PM me or e-mail me at Centerice19@aol.com

Thanks!
Megan

P.S-if anyone has any other suggestions on how i could present my career to my class, it'd be greatly appreciated!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 03:10
You won't find anyone here who could be considered a 'professional game designer', I don't think-- there are some game designer designers , and a few people loosely tied in to the industry, and some great indie developers, but nobody who's really inside what's going on in the dev scene.

What I'd suggest is actually trying to make a video-- sign up on Gamasutra, they might have some videos about game design, and they have some video interviews. Perhaps you could mix them and intersperse the final video with snippits from an article based on what you read in some of the game post-mortems and developer interviews there?

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 03:38
Actually, a video on game design would be pretty fun... You could explain every stage of the production, from design, concept etc to programming, artwork and post production. Problem is how to make that into a video. What about a Powerpoint presentation, do they allow them?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 03:39
Microsoft Movie Maker comes with operating systems ME and up. You can easily stitch together movie clips and bitmaps with it .

Megan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:06
Im searching through Gamasutra now, and seeing if i can find anything i could use. I cant find any interviews though, does anyone know where they are on that site?

I was wondering the same thing too, about how to make game design into a movie...i was thinking of making my game on my computer, then hooking it up to the TV, and put a tape in the TV and record what im doing on my PC on the TV, lol...hard to explain, but if you get what im saying, do you think it will work?

Thanks!
Megan
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:14
It'd work. It's a frustratingly roundabout method. Without a firewire card, your best bet is to try to use, say, Camtasia Studio or Fraps or a similar video capture application to get movies of games. Fraps works best. But if you don't have a fast PC, it won't work. You might just want to download movies from the net .

On Gamasutra, here are the game postmortems. They're very neat interviews where they talk with game designers after they finish their big project about what went wrong and what went right.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=5

And there are general articles on game design here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=4

I may have been wrong about them having interviews other than the postmortems-- sorry. There's still a lot of good material on the site though. Good luck with your project !

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 04:18
It would be much better using video capture than a video camera because a camera frame rate would be out of sync with the screen refresh rate, causing that annoying screen flicker on the final recording. Fraps is free but records no sound if I remember - that shouldnt really matter though, you coyuld record your own voice commentary or just speak to your class or whatever. If you have the MS movie maker then whipping up a video out of many clips is pretty simple. If you have it that is.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:30:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:30:11