Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Warning: be careful of the latest nVidia drivers.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This post is from the PureBasic forums. I know I musn't be putting this here but it may be useful for all you nVidia gfx card users.

Doobrey
Apprentice

Just thought I`d share this with you, incase it might happen to others.

I`d just installed the latest nVidia forceware drivers, and after testing it out on some games, my PC started acting up... random resets, explorer crashing left right and center etc etc.
Then I noticed the air coming out the back of the case was waaaay hotter than it normally is, almost like a hairdryer
Opened the case up, felt the gfx card and couldn`t believe it hadn`t melted the solder, I couldn`t touch the card for more than a second.

Anyway, I let it cool down for an hour and restarted it. After much fiddling, managed to get to the hidden clockspeed settings. The new drivers had set the memory clock to double what it should have been (332 instead of 166, no wonder it got a bit toasty in there!).

Luckily my card seems to have survived, hope it doesn`t happen to anyone else.

If you don`t know how to enable the clockspeed settings, just open up regedit.exe and add this key, then it`ll be available from the nView Desktop Manager.

Goto this part in the registry.
HKLM\Software\nVidia Corporation\Global\NVTweak
then add a new dword, name=Coolbits value=3

The original post is here: http://purebasic.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10968

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, old 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98 SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 09:05
DarkGuy, these are the only cases I have heard in the 3 months of these drivers being released of anyone having problem.
Infact 56.72 are THE most stable NVIDIA drivers to date...

PROVIDED you actually have an NVIDIA Reference based board!
Always get manufacturer drivers, then the generic drivers.

This said, I have seen a 'beta' driver which does show these exact problems. 60.84. These drivers have not been released, they're never going to be released for VERY VERY good reason.
The original 6-Series drivers basically kill almost every Geforce FX card ... believe me the day those drivers were released was a very very expensive day for all of us.

However we ARE beta testers and know the risks. If these people are downloading unreleased drivers then that is thier own stupid fault!
61.12 is the current release, and it is more stable but still no release candidate; as it isn't exactly AS stable as 56.72.

As I have a mixture of Reference and Non-Reference boards here, I know roughly what will and won't affect the Geforce boards.
I'd bet large money on that the first guy has Beta drivers, the second guy has a crap monitor and the other guys are just in there to take a pop at NVIDIA.

(the second guys problem is classic monitor incapability of the speed it is being pushed at)

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 09:18
Raven, your sig, that's not the chick from your game is it??

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 09:25
I was wondering if someone could see it, cause i can't ... only happened with puffinteractive.com but my browser doesn't recache items sometimes and i can't figure out why even when i delete the caches :-\

and no, she's from Beyond Good & Evil. if you don't have the game, buy it... buy it now!

i've been showing off a basic character in the irc room though most of yesterday as i was making her; so should join in sometime to see the updates

DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd bet large money on that the first guy has Beta drivers, the second guy has a crap monitor"

LOL!!!

Quote: "and the other guys are just in there to take a pop at NVIDIA."

hmm now that I see that way, u're right...so there's no panic then...

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, old 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98 SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 09:48
Bah, yeah I knew i'd seen her somewhere, but the quote still threw me off.

I'm ALWAYS in IRC.. just idling...

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 10:18
Gah, had to reset my game of Beyond Good & Evil after facing a bug that stopped me from getting the key to the next door. The key which was supposed to be dropped from one of those twirly robot things, ended up being stuck in the hatch it came out of. No matter how far I went back, it would keep getting stuck. Grrr.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, everytime I enter u're always there...

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 11:08
B&G is okay - camera work is lousy though.
And I've had no problem with the latest nVidia drivers (aside from being corrupt on one of my works machines, but that could have been caused by SP2).

The place for all great plug-ins.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
well...I was just browsing the PB forums and saw that post, and because here most people have high-end video cards, I decided to spread the notice

Eldar
Years of Service
User Offline
I havn't had any probs with the new 60's, my GFX 5800 ultra is humming along just fine with them.

3.1 ghz Pentium 4
Geforce FX 5800 ultra @ 535/1300
DX 9
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
So then it was a false alarm?

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 09:27 Edited at: 26th May 2004 09:29
Eldar trust me there are major problems with the 60-Series.
Especially as currently you can not even cleanly uninstall them;

60.85 is just unsable on around 80% of the developer forums machines
61.12 has glitches
61.32 seems to dislike working with audio hardware (of anykind lol)

ofcourse these bugs won't be on every machine; but 3/4 of my home machines are affected by the bugs. only the msi card seems unaffected, not sure why... but then it is also the slowest card.

[edit-]
However it does appear to be getting more stable with each version.
I think though that perhaps NVIDIA should stop giving Beta (not even released to the developer community) to reviewers, as the drivers are as stable as a rock when they go WHQL. So it is starting to give NVIDIA a bad name with drivers even though they're perfectly fine with a lil time.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 10:53
Mind you, letting users use Beta allows them to find bugs.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 14:38
Yeah perhaps, but for reviewers they should be getting the most stable as people listen to what they say and purchase cards based on it.

So basically reviewers should never have raw untested drivers.
Further more i'm not against open beta, provided people understand what they're getting into.

In the nvidia development community we constantly have an NDA to sign whenever we log into the forum and whenever we download a new driver it also comes with a warning message about it being potencially dangerous.
As such we accept the risks to our systems, at which you'd be surprised how many different specs are on there. As the forum is full of University Students, Freelance Developers, Large Production developers.
Leaked sites don't have this!

Also what the public doesn't have is a bug-reporter.
We have a form that allows us to explain in quite alot of detail what the bugs are how they occured and upload system logs from the OS and Drivers which help them identify problems.

Something i feel is ridiculous is there are only 8 people in NVIDIA's software department (seriously!!) who are working on Melody, FX Composer, SDK, Drivers, Etc... these guys are stretched thinner than TGC. So for what they do, they are achieveing alot.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:52