Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / OMG OMG OMG Im buying a gamecube.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 14:35
Finally nintendo does something right.

http://www.nintendo.com/gameminiav?gameid=54610f14-1826-4d46-9981-8f72874aee2e&anchor=avcontent-24075380-ce06-4c00-8da8-d13f4835bf78#avcontent-24075380-ce06-4c00-8da8-d13f4835bf78

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 14:54
so?

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
My Favorite Website
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 15:37
Hah! What a reply from someone who keeps posting console questions

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 16:09
lol, anyways... the video looks really cool!

Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:15
@z change your sig about...........now!

Im not a rubbish programmer...Everyone else is just better than me....
If we were supposed to sing we would look like Kylie...
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah that joke is OLD and it really pisses people off

it will make everyone here hate you

My signiture image is a good measure of my sanity!
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:27
....if they dont hate you already

Im not a rubbish programmer...Everyone else is just better than me....
If we were supposed to sing we would look like Kylie...
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:51
too late

I'm makin' a cake...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:58

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.1 - VB.NET PLUGIN FOR DBP * Click Logo
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 21:13
This Zelda has actually been in development for almost 3years, and still have around 6months to go; (The Wind Waker started development after it, and was ment to just give the GC *a* Zelda title) ... this is going to be a truely epic game though in more ways than one.

The graphics are gorgeous, the story is just... epic. I know that's the second time i've said it, but this game's story is benched to equal that of FF VII!!
I for one and totally jazzed about it, 2004 seems to be showing some bloody sweet titles are due out for the Cube.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 21:20
Quote: "Finally nintendo does something right."

This was chatted about a while ago, no?

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 21:31
That does look great. There is one thing that I didn't like though. Link had no facial animation. I hope they add it, because he looks lifeless without it. It would look a hundred times better if he cringed when he blocked an attack and had some expression when he attacked. Without it, he looks dull.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 21:39 Edited at: 24th May 2004 21:39
Quote: "the story is just... epic. I know that's the second time i've said it, but this game's story is benched to equal that of FF VII!!"

In my opinion all the FF stories are quite lame so this game won't be something for me!

GameVisions Softwares - http://www.gamevisions.cbj.net
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 21:45
Yeah FF SUCKS! WOOOOO

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yeah FF SUCKS! WOOOOO"

That's another way to express it

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:40
so why did indi make david t change his sig but it's okay if z-interactive does it?

(i guess he may have not noticed yet...)

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 22:51
erm... I'm not sure how you can say the FF Stories are lame.
I have a feeling your one of those people who hasn't actually really played Final Fantasy, just played one of the games and couldn't understand what was going on therefor the story is lame.

Sorry but Final Fantasy VII has one of the best game stories of all time. The game itself kinda sucks, but the story is just so damn in-depth with multiple stories going on at once, and each character having thier own little sub-story which all builds up to the bigger picture.

Very few Final Fantasy players really fully understand the entire story, simply for it's sheer size and complexity.
(there are just too many misconceptions about it as well which are answered in the game)

I mean if i were just to summerise the story, well it'd still battle for first place with one of my old posts.

Anyone remember how long they used to be?!? You know you post long, when you actually have to take 3 posts on a single post

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 23:48
@Raven

Your animated sig is very irritating, do you think you could replace it with something static? (I've got my trigger finger itching on the "Block" button)

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 00:17
Quote: "so why did indi make david t change his sig but it's okay if z-interactive does it? "

Hmm.

I'll let you come to your own conclusions on that one.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 00:54 Edited at: 25th May 2004 00:56
Quote: "Sorry but Final Fantasy VII has one of the best game stories of all time. The game itself kinda sucks, but the story is just so damn in-depth with multiple stories going on at once, and each character having thier own little sub-story which all builds up to the bigger picture.
"

That's exactly the problem. The story is waaay to overloaded! Silent Hill 2 is - in my opinion - much better, because it's almost on the level of real literature, with many symbolical scenes, which leaves some space for interpretation and imagination...
And it also has a really great athmosphere, which keeps me attracted to the screen for days, nights, weeks
BTW i played FF8 and FF9 and hated both
Well that's just my opinion

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
I like some(well a lot) Final Fantasy games. The ones i played so far are.
Final Fantasy for the nes(cool and classic)
Final Fantasy 2 for Super Nes(Pretty cool game 5 party. members)
Final Fantasy 3 for Super Nes(Very Sweet game)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for Super Nes(Interesting Game)
Final Fantasy 1,2,3 for Game Boy(Kinda ok)
Final Fantasy 8(very very small weapon selection) never really got into it also.(not as great)
Final Fantasy 9 for psx(Pretty cool)
Final Fantasy 7 for PC(Peerless)
Final Fantasy 11 for PC(Neat)

Right now I am playing ff7 and at the point where Aerith Dies.

My opion i havent really play through the newer ones. I dont think they are as great either. Come on give me a break, X2 has pop stars saveing the planet with hot pants. Plus i dont have a ps2.

Well to the Zelda game coming out. It looks cool. It was made with the WW Engine which is also cool too. I think its going to be more like the first zelda. With some cool old items like the magic rings. I hope they have a different type of world appear right after you beat it like the first one, that would be pretty cool or just put zelda as your name and get there.

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR, Windos XP home edition.
-----------------------And a Katana.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 05:20
Quote: "Your animated sig is very irritating, do you think you could replace it with something static? (I've got my trigger finger itching on the "Block" button)"

I actually like watching ravens sig...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 08:06
Quote: "That's exactly the problem. The story is waaay to overloaded! Silent Hill 2 is - in my opinion - much better, because it's almost on the level of real literature, with many symbolical scenes, which leaves some space for interpretation and imagination..."

Sorry but i think that is just more a problem you have a short attention span rather than the story being lame.
Just out of interest did you what LOTR, if so were you able to follow the story in that; Same goes for the Matrix (to an extent).

Just because the stories are complex, the reason for this is actually because thier topic is very complex.
Every single Final Fantasy is about the creators' 'Gya' Theory. Which technically is another take on religion, but he doesn't want to make it a religion he just wants people to understand it in a way that is common to them.

Gia basically covers creation, not that far from the American Indians' percived the world. With everything being tied to mother earth / earth spirit 'Gya'.

The subject is like most stuff like this, simple to overview, but complex to actually explain. It is what makes the story epic, whether you want to believe this is true or not.

Quote: "Your animated sig is very irritating, do you think you could replace it with something static? (I've got my trigger finger itching on the "Block" button)"

i could, but really i don't want to; reason being, this signature is taller than Dark Pikachu which everyone biatched about it being too tall; no one really seems bothered with this one.

that and i could personally watch it for hours.
want to work on a scripted one, but i don't think the forum in it's current state will be able to do it; i'll be testing out a flash version just to see. If i can do it my sig will be interactive and i'll be sure to put in a 'Static' option.

Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 15:22 Edited at: 25th May 2004 15:32
Quote: "Sorry but i think that is just more a problem you have a short attention span rather than the story being lame.
Just out of interest did you what LOTR, if so were you able to follow the story in that; Same goes for the Matrix (to an extent).

Just because the stories are complex, the reason for this is actually because thier topic is very complex.
Every single Final Fantasy is about the creators' 'Gya' Theory. Which technically is another take on religion, but he doesn't want to make it a religion he just wants people to understand it in a way that is common to them."

you know what Raven?? S T F U
I ain't an idiot who doesn't understand the f****** story, BUT what i can surely say is that the level on which FF and Matrix (and all the other things you'd like to mention) are on a VERY LOW level, not only from the artistical side, but also from the story.

If you ie have a look in the literature and pick some books from Goethe, Wedekind, Shakespeares you'll notice that they don't need a "complex" (complex in a way you used it, i would rather say "overloaded") story to bring their message accross the spectator. (although you probably won't ever understand those books because their on a much higher level than FF, and you need to analyze them in a very different way than FF or Matrix)

But you'll not only see it in books, but also in movies:
No one would really say "Once upon a Time in the West" has a very complex story, BUT it is certainly great. It doesn't lack of cynical, and ironical scenes, and there's a political message (even Sergio Leone said that, just in case you want to comment on that)
Moreover, it's from many artist confirmed that it's a great piece of art in every aspect; from the formal structure to the camera views just a perfect movie.
However FF looks like a piece of sh*t against that, although the story is more complex...

BTW Silent Hill 2 has been analyzed by some scientists (literature and psychology) and they were all amazed by the indepth complexity of SH2, which doesn't just consist of facts and rational explanations.

But FF doesn't just have NO message, moreover it's VERY "sad-without-any-reason" (i'm talking about the annoying love stories of which there are plenty in FF)
Same goes for the Matrix: The battle scenes in Zion are NOT just only annoying, they also are completely senceless and stupid! (however Matrix 1 is rather cool, i think)

And be happy that English isn't my native language, otherwise i would tell you a little bit more about those FF-love-stories.

Sorry for being so annoyed, BUT i cleary always said "IN MY OPINION" or "FROM MY POINT OF VIEW" and if you don't accept this i get annoyed and it results in this.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 16:29
Oh you have got to be joking! Seriously you have to be!

First point to make out is...
Quote: "And be happy that English isn't my native language, otherwise i would tell you a little bit more about those FF-love-stories"

Niether is Final Fantasy, it's Japanese and looses quite a few things in the translation.
That said you've already mentioned you've not even played FF7 only 8 and 9... quite frankly FF8 was boring, and FF9 has a story that even a kindergarden kid could follow!

Secondly your comparing this to Silent Hill 2, but SH2 actually has a perfectly stupid storyline. Which quite frankly the original was far better, it created more tension because you never really knew if what was going on was natural or supernatural... and just because some 'experts' sit on thier lorals and say, well SH2 is scarey because of such'n'such.

Well it was designed by people just to be scarey and not actually have a story. If you want a game that creates atmosphere and has a story play Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero.
But no doubt to you the stupid puzzle solving is what breaks the game down and makes it stupid.

Final Fantasy VII doesn't actually really have a love interest in it. Although it is hinted at throughout the game, it isn't a case of:
Cloud loves tifa and she loves him back and there is a whole pussy footing around for like 20hrs. No, Cloud obviously loves no one; he cares for Tifa like a sister and Aerion as a niave friend.
Aerion loves no one, and Tifa obviously love Cloud; but the feelings aren't mutal.
Cloud seems to have blocked out his memories about a day when his hometown was destroyed, and believes he is someone else who he looked upto as he didn't want to appear a failiar to Tifa when he joined the rebellion. (though it is never explained why he can't really remember how he got to the rebellion)
The plot revolves around Sephiroth who is a clone of a thing (Jenova) which was considered to be an ancient was was actually an alien or rather the spirit of an alien world that was slowly infecting thier world from a meteor that fell several millennia ago.
Cloud is slowly retaught his memories to reconstruct them as they try to follow Sephiroth on his path of destruction which he is on trying to collect the Materia collected in powerstations.
The Materia is concentrated forms of the planets Gya which allow people to take on supernatural powers.
Eventually Cloud trys to fight Sephiroth and is thrown into a stream of pure Materia; where he is trapped within his own mind at the exposure, with a hallucination of his friend Tifa he must reconstruct his memories of the day his town was destroyed in order for him self to find the strength to wake from the comba.
Once that is gone the heros then must fight and destroy the 'weapons' which are being created by Gya to defeat Sephiroth who has taken all the materia to transform himself into a being powerful enough to destroy the planet because the alien Gya is angry and hurt and wishes to claim the world for itself; without realising it is actually about to destroy the very thing it is trying to take.

The story far from has an ending, particularly when you learn that Sephiroth that you face is Clone B the failiar; and there is another one out there. (however if you watch Advent Children you'll notice it has a different goal entirely)

... ...

now it is funny you mention William Shakespear, but his plots are deathly complex whist having a basic overview. He created stories which would appeal to all levels of people, from scholars to common folk who just wanted jerry springer in a 90minute play.

I'm sorry if Final Fantasy VII's story was totally over your head, but that hardly calls for you to calls it lame!
Same goes for the Matrix. The main story is interesting, but there is so much damn subtext that quite frankly most people who see it won't understand the symbolism of alot of the film, same goes for the 2 that follow.

You might think the Zion being destoryed bit made no sense; but it was in there simply for the adverage joe, so they could give the film a cliff-hanger note a bit like films like MI have a bomb at the end... they were in a war for thier very lives and that is what the ending showed; but it wasn't that they saved themselves through thier actions of killing each other, but that one man would give his life to save the world to make both worlds of heaven and hell better for all.

The entire Matrix series questions life itself and the christian religion well beyond what they could've got away with if the story was plain as day infront of your face.

What is amusing is you quote Gothe, but really that guy writes for the nitche market... or well pompus twats. Don't get me wrong he writes great material, but those who sit there and discuss do so just to sound intelligent; when really they're trying to find meaning in a story which is as plain as day. Just because something is written descriptive doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be analysed for a meaning.

At the end of the day it is a story.
There is NO questioning that Final Fantasy VII has THE most epic computer game story ever conceived.
And to be honest, the only story that could've topped it was the Tomb Raider : Angel Saga... just a pitty Eidos had to f**k it up.

If you ever have the time, goto www.tombraiderchronicles.com and read up on the story for TR 6,7&8... that story is beyond inspirational.

Sorry but Silent Hill 2 is the only computer game reference here you've made; and beside it's psychological effects; it is a really crap story and even worse game.
And really if you need some expert to sit there analyse something for you and say 'yeah, this is very good because [insert medical jargon and/or philosphical BS]' then really why do you even bother playing games that require thought?

Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 16:54
Wow, i dont think i have ever tped more than a few paragraphs in one post on this forum before! when i look at what is above my eyes go all wierd so i didnt bother reading what either of you two typed past the first few paragraphs. I think i am too lazy in nature

I'm makin' a cake...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 18:51
me too...

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 22:11
Never read any of the above except The complete Works but on one level Raven is right.

Silent Hill 2 is a good game. Its a disturbing game. Its a scary game. But the actual plot is very weak. It doesn't need one, because it can rely on the psychological effect on your senses. As a plot, it makes no real sense, and certainly doesn't have a message of any meaning. But it is a good game, simply because, the first time round at least, its scary.

Final Fantasy 8 and 9 were very weak plot-wise, but 7 isn't, its actually got a very strong plot, with lots hinted at that will never happen and lots happenning that you hardly notice. Although unless I'm being suprememly stupid, isn't it Aeris not Aerion? I'm not completely sure of that, I always change the names when I play. I do however know that Tifa is a sexy b*tch

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 23:13
Holy CRAP! i still have my old signiature up... Damn, and I was hoping to at least offend someone before they hate me.

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 23:17
There, I changed it. Oh and by the way. Final Fantasy 12 sucked major ass..

And if I do get a gamecube(im seriously considering it) ill have to find a copy of pikmin somewhere... that game kicked sooo much ass.

IF your rolling along the ocean in you jet ski and the wheels fall off. Do you still have enough pancakes to cover a doghouse?

Purple, because icecream has no bones.
Tomy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2004 23:24 Edited at: 26th May 2004 00:04
Has anyone from you read "Spring's Awakening" (original title: Frühlings Erwachen) by Frank Wedekind or Faust by Goethe??? You just won't understand it because it's as abstract as SH2, BUT this doesn't mean it makes no sence!! Or have you ever heard saying someone Goethe's Faust doesn't make any sence??
And Raven, the story of SH2 is probably the best story for a game ever made. it's not stupid, you just don't have any imagination and you just don't understand it!
In such complex stories (i don't mean complex in a way like you) you can't just see one real explanation (same goes for Spring's Awakening from Wedekind)
You have to analyze it scene by scene, and you'd be quite surprised how perfectly it represents the human psychology and how many details are just amazingly perfect!
And no I'm not jocking, it must be you that is joking! Every educated person, who didn't spend too much time on the computer in his free time, would laugh at FF's story!
And what the hell are you talking about Tomb Raider?? Tomb Raider has another senseless, stupid story!

Quote: "As a plot, it makes no real sense, and certainly doesn't have a message of any meaning."

i don't agree it's very philosophical.

Quote: "they were in a war for thier very lives and that is what the ending showed; but it wasn't that they saved themselves through thier actions of killing each other, but that one man would give his life to save the world to make both worlds of heaven and hell better for all.
"

Don't you see how stupid that sounds?

Quote: "The main story is interesting, but there is so much damn subtext that quite frankly most people who see it won't understand the symbolism of alot of the film, same goes for the 2 that follow.
"

In Matrix 2, they were trying to make something really outstanding, but they were so stupid that the message ended up being simple and stupid.
part 2 and 3 could've been written by a 5th grade student.

BTW Resident Evil may have a good athmosphere, cool survival action, but the story is just a bit lame...

Quote: "Cloud loves tifa and she loves him back and there is a whole pussy footing around for like 20hrs. No, Cloud obviously loves no one; he cares for Tifa like a sister and Aerion as a niave friend.
Aerion loves no one, and Tifa obviously love Cloud; but the feelings aren't mutal.
Cloud seems to have blocked out his memories about a day when his hometown was destroyed, and believes he is someone else who he looked upto as he didn't want to appear a failiar to Tifa when he joined the rebellion. (though it is never explained why he can't really remember how he got to the rebellion)
The plot revolves around Sephiroth who is a clone of a thing (Jenova) which was considered to be an ancient was was actually an alien or rather the spirit of an alien world that was slowly infecting thier world from a meteor that fell several millennia ago.
Cloud is slowly retaught his memories to reconstruct them as they try to follow Sephiroth on his path of destruction which he is on trying to collect the Materia collected in powerstations.
The Materia is concentrated forms of the planets Gya which allow people to take on supernatural powers.
Eventually Cloud trys to fight Sephiroth and is thrown into a stream of pure Materia; where he is trapped within his own mind at the exposure, with a hallucination of his friend Tifa he must reconstruct his memories of the day his town was destroyed in order for him self to find the strength to wake from the comba.
Once that is gone the heros then must fight and destroy the 'weapons' which are being created by Gya to defeat Sephiroth who has taken all the materia to transform himself into a being powerful enough to destroy the planet because the alien Gya is angry and hurt and wishes to claim the world for itself; without realising it is actually about to destroy the very thing it is trying to take.
"

that sounds just stupid to me!

Quote: "now it is funny you mention William Shakespear, but his plots are deathly complex whist having a basic overview. He created stories which would appeal to all levels of people, from scholars to common folk who just wanted jerry springer in a 90minute play.
"

Sure it's complex, but not in the same way as FF

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 01:14
Blah blah blah

New Zelda looks neat.

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2004 02:49
Final Fantasy best game! Ha! My god that makes Barbi look good!

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
"Spring's Awakening" never read.
Have you read Beowulf or the The Green Knight.

I never played silent hill 2 and i can't judge it, but you never played FF7 so you can not judge it just because you do not like ff8 or ff9(Gott a remember each Final Fantasy has its own special tale(besides X2) to tell. They are not a series of chronical events.)I am not sure if you like Fantasy storys with Dragons, Monsters and Long huge journeys, but sounds like your more into shoot the monsters before they kill me and solve the puzzles and short storys about simple and lots of things that happen at once(complex or not). So what i mean out of all this is DON'T JUDGE FF7 Till you play the game at least past the first disk AND read every text box that opens up.

"Great Knights are what we are called, not the nature we act nor the what we do gives up this title. The Title is what describes us the best and thats the meaning of it"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:39:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:39:37