Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ridiculous Windows problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 06:04
Hi guys, I have a very simple and incredibly annoying problem in Windows 98. The 'new' sub-task-bar in the right-click menu is gone. Just not there. No new folders or files. I've checked settings everywhere, can't find anything like it, never had this happen before in 98. Not sure when it started-- a few days ago at most. Haven't been messing with my registry, no viruses or the like either. Any ideas ?

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
The simple solution is, get a Mac.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 07:08
Um.. DarkBASIC + Mac = compatibility problem. Your trying to turn away from the language, TRAITOR!!!. Just joking, no offence, didn't have my drugs yet.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
DeepBlue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 11:20
Copy the following into a blank file using notepad

Save the file as anything with a .reg extension (ie restore.reg)

Double click on the .reg file you made click yes when prompted and say hello to your 'new' command in the context menu again.

Twynklet
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 13:44
Typed 'windows new missing' into Google and Twynklet's answer is number one in search results. Microsoft's answer is here if you are interested:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180257

Boo!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 15:21
@Mouse, If you're not having problems with your hardware, you're having them with your software ... have you ever considered that you and PC's just don't mix?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 17:51
Twynklet-> Cheers .
Spooky-> I googled it first with slightly different words and actually could only find articles on missing 'new folder' functionality in the latest Longhorn leak. Thanks.
IanM-> Grrrr ...

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:07
Ah, so you were supposed to put the fancy parinthesis in the value, didn't realize that at first . Thanks Twynklet, Spooky .

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:42
It's happening with all Windows at the moment.
Problem is based in Internet Explorer... Microsoft have done something back in January and they've still not figured out why it's happening.

Just hope IE7 really fixxes alot of Explorer's recent problems.
If it is ever actually released publically; same goes for DirectX 9.0c the damn thing is ready but not released yet, is getting frustrating.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 19:03
Might be something new, but that'd be hard. The computer this problem is on hasn't been updated since a fresh install of a vintage copy of 98 SE. The only possible way it could have been something new that Microsoft did was if it got carried over through an .msi or an app that had Explorer updates in it. But hey, anything could happen, and I don't have a better theory...

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 20:11 Edited at: 27th May 2004 20:14
Wow, windows having problems. Go figure.

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: Magic the Gathering Fifth Dawn Prearealese
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 20:13
First time for everything

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 20:26
Windows updates automatically in the background since 98; and you have to turn it off manually for it not to.
Only XP actually tells you it is actually doing it, but again doesn't give you much of a choice unless you know howto alter the options for it.

Explorer also tend to install critical service packs in the background from 5.0 onward. Alot of applications like 3D Studio Max actually also update your IE to v6 or v5.5 which are the ones which suffer from this problem.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 20:41
Quote: " Windows updates automatically in the background since 98; and you have to turn it off manually for it not to. "

I'm well aware of how my favorite OS updates... and I'm also aware it can't do it without an internet connection

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:40:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:40:38