Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / My Unfinished Text-Based RPG (Yes; Text-Based!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 10:57
I got DarkBASIC about 2 or 3 weeks ago, when my friend already had it and thaught me a few things about it. I was wondering if this was good enough for a beginner, because we are going to team up if he thinks this is good enough to make a great game together. If anybody wants to try it then feel welcome, but it isn't finished, and for some reason the battle system doesn't work. (Help needed with that, too. Help very much appreciated.)

"There is no reason for life. I am only here to be here."
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 14:01
Wow your a breath of fresh air. You have decided to walk before running. And the game is superb for a few weeks work if you are new to the program. Well Done.

Finish that game and yeah you should be able to complete a more graphical adventure but be warned before you do try and make a 2d or 3d game get some experiance first in thoughs areas.

Chaos

[center] New Project announcment coming soon[center]
Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 16:49
Thanks, Chaos. I still need the help with the battle system, though. It still won't work, no matter what I do with it.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 17:50
Jacava, an error I get when I try to run your program is that the label fight: cannot be found. Also, I advise you to use gosubs or functions instead of gotos, as DB doesnt really like gotos and can generate stupid errors because of it.

Its not a bug, its a feature!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2004 07:30
Just replace all your GOTOs with GOSUBS and all will run fine--don't forget the "fight:" label. This looks cool!

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 11:14
I see your points. Thanks! I'll try to get it finished soon (and maybe even add an ATB system, like in most FF games).

DaedalusX
Years of Service
User Offline
looked at the code looks really good cant getto me darkbasic but...i think their maybe a few copyright infringments lol but whocares lol. eager to try this.keep up the good work
aks74u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 00:29
hey dude i think u have a great start on tihs i just hope you can get it working good cuz its sounds like a great game!
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 17:13
Wow! What a great start on a game like that... you've been busy!

Though it's a little complex for me to untangle right now I'm stunned to see such a thing so quickly in DB. And yeah, I suggest gosubs as well, or possibly the functions which are similar. But you have a fun start here, I'm going to have to read over it for an hour or two...

Good luck with it! Looks like it'll be nifty!
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Cribs
Years of Service
User Offline
Could someone fix the script and post it? It wont work. says the lable "?" does not exist on line 206.
Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 16:18
Quote: "Could someone fix the script and post it? It wont work. says the lable "?" does not exist on line 206. "

yeah me to.A pity because i'd love to try it.
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 20:36
Julian EP,

I'm afraid that's not possible; major sections are still missing from the source. However, I have taken the time to try to clean it up a bit, so am positing what I have now.

A few comments for Jacava;
1. First, there is little point to using more than one RANDOMIZE during the course of a game, as the random number generator will run quite well by itself. It is usual to randomize it at first and then let it run, rather than re-seeding it over and over.

2. This may be a matter of style but I prefer the IF...ENDIF structure, using the IF...THEN only for short, simple statements. The reason I mention this particularly is because in your monster selection routines you have exceeded the possible line length, meaning the last values to be set epoisonimmunity$="1" for example, followed by the : goto last_chance, appeared on the next line beneath the IF...THEN. According to my understanding of the flow of BASIC, this means that your first selection will be your only selection, because the rest of the IFs are not processed. See the code I'm posting for an example.

3. In your input loops you have made a call to the subroutine "bad_choice" but have not allowed that this may be the input, meaning that after calling the bad_choice the code falls through to your first option beneath the input selection. In the code I'm posting I'm including the proper style to correct this error, using the label of "loop1." You need to do this for most of your input choices.

4. The sections of Use_skill, use_special, monster_turn, and vicotry, are all missing, which again, "fall into" other parts of the code. Labels are good but you must remember to get out of each sub-loop, which might explain your confusion at trying to test this. (I know it confused me when I tried to battle a Monkey and wound up in the shop trying to buy something!) I have tried to catch a few of these places, but can't promise I've caught them all.

Over all, it looks good... just needs more work.
Good Luck!
S.

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 20:44
I might have a look at the code once my exams are finished .
Anyway keep up the good work Jacava you are obviosly a fast learner . Also @SandraD I see you've been very helpfull to people in the newcomers section. Someone to be looked up at (I hate flamers)

Julian
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 20:47
Awww.... shucks.

Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2004 10:42
I'm going to leave this for a while, because I'm going to move onto another game. I'll post another thread about it once it's more complete, including screenshots.

Simple.
Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2004 12:54 Edited at: 25th Jun 2004 12:56
Update coming soon. And besides, I've suddenly noticed that the code is missing large chunks . Probably that my PC is slow, and it didn't copy and paste all of it when posted. Oh, well. Better luck on my next game, which I won't reveal till neraly complete .

Simple.
Jacava
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2004 18:45
I know it's been a while, but simply put I've almost completely revamped this. Code below.
Game over thing doesn't seem to work. Can't save. Level up system gone wrong somewhere. Otherwise doin' fine, and need models, as I don't have a model maker like Truespace.

Simple.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 22:21:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 22:21:32