Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hi, I'm New And Trying To Make An RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just Got darkBASIC Pro yesterday (a big leap from RPG Maker 2003). Like I stated in my topic title I would like to make an RPG. I've seen people get scolded for trying to start out using 3D, but I don't mind any flames thrown my way. Umm, let's see... I have 3DS Max 6, only a little dent in my wallet as well as photoshop. I have made a 4 second movie using 35 jpegs I made in Photoshop (yay for me) and it was fun, but enough about me. There's a few things I would like to know:
1) Where would I start making my RPG?
2) I have experience with maya and poser, can I incorporate my skills into a game?
3) How much could I get done if I focus on nothing but my project for the rest of the summer?
Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:30
1) Learn the language first. Make simple games you will not reapeat NOT make an RPG straight away.

2)You can use poser and maya skills to make models if you export them to the correct format.

3)If the project is an RPG then 0%. If it is Pong, space invaders or a simple 3d game then a good deal maybe 100%.

Chaos

[center] New Project announcment coming soon[center]
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 18:33 Edited at: 27th May 2004 18:33
Quote: "1) Where would I start making my RPG?"

Reading tutorials, making little things to gain experience, make a simple game pong,breakout,space invader,ect...

Like you said you got DBPro yesterday so you are new to the langauge...start small no with a RPG

[edit]
^
|
|

OOPS! He post first

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2004 22:33
Being an old school gamer, I strongly suggest creating a paper RPG first so that you a basic design document and a solid grip on your game mechanics. You will need something like that so you can convert the design to programming instructions. Of course, Chaos and Comando 300 are both dead on target about starting small and then moving up to RPG programming. The smaller projects will help you to learn the syntax of the language. You want to make your nwebie programming and design mistakes there and not in your first big project.

As an example, I'm going to be using Ral Talsorian's Fuzion system to create a paper/PDF RPG and then convert that into a computer RPG battle engine. I sent in my licensing contract today and I'm really psyched about the project. By doing the design and licensing work first, I think it will greatly increase my chances of success. Ideally, I can even create some mid-project hype and cash by selling the source book on RPG Now and my web store.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
DaedalusX
Years of Service
User Offline
i tried a rpg 3d but foun it dificult i got matrix character etc bounderies but the actul rpg elements were dificultso i put my project on hold and startinga 2d rpg o get a bitmore experience. if u wanna do it go for it. try startingwithademo irst which u can develop on like a 'world map' area.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:34:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:34:52