Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Double Dragon style music ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 14:22
I'm working on some compositions for a double dragons style side scrolling beat em up. It's all based in hongkong, so I'm going for the western style music with a hint of chinese elements to make it feel right. This tune is still very much in production, but I'm curious as to whether people thing this hints at the "back streets of hongkong" style atmosphere,and whether it'd work for a side scrolling beat em up.

http://www.kontact-kru.com/game/hongkong1.mp3

Cheers for any feedback.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 17:32 Edited at: 28th May 2004 17:41
Dude, if you want "teh Urban/KungFu crossover" then you can't go far wrong by checking out any of the Bruce Lee films where Lalo Schiffrin did the soundtrack. That guy was a goddamn genius....

<listens>
Cool! It's nice to see you can transpose your expert style (DnB) onto something a little more subtle. I was expecting some car-window shattering blast, but no - there's more to it than that

You've got the beat spot on - it's western, but the wooden instruments give it that extra something The strings in the background at the start don't sound right somehow. Also, perhaps the guitar is too loud. Experiment with making it quiter and softer. It just sounds too harsh, but then again that could be because there's nothing else at the break 30 seconds in.

Anyway - after 1 minute, it's all good. Nice bass & melody. Once again, the beat kicks ass. Good mood change at 1:30 and back in at 2 minutes.

Overall, I think you've got the feeling right, it's just the intro and those guitars for me

---

I've just looked over my post, and you can tell I'm secretly still passionate about music production. It's probably one of my most constructive posts ever I should get back into it some time.

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 21:25
Cheers for that mate. Yeah, those guitars need something, cos its supposed to be melodic but still background music, and they are a bit foreground. I guess if I made them a bit more ambient than foreground they might work better.

Anyway, this is just a couple of hours work last night while trying to suss out the formula for this game. Cheers for the feedback mate. If the overall opinion is it works, I'm on the right track.

... and yes, that was constructive. Keep it up! hehe.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:51