Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How will Big Brother affect your life?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:26
I don't particularly get embroiled in the whole "BB is my life" thing...but my wife does. So for me...

1. The house will fall into decay
2. My children will starve
3. I will be able to spend more time doing what I want to do, unnoticed. Stella, Pizza and UT2004 will be rife.

I will not consistently stare at people sunbathing/sleeping all day, and I will not be awake at 4am just in case somebody breaks wind in front of a blurred infra-red camera.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:29
Big Brother?

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:31
I likd the first BB, cos it was something different. Hated the rest. We're up to version 3 here, and i really, really, really don't like it. I think it is rather stupid.

I also like the first 1 or 2 survivor's, but it just got boring after that. And then there is Miriam. That is sad.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:31 Edited at: 28th May 2004 19:32
Yes, its from 1984...

... or a TV program that took its name from the Orwellian system in the 1984 book...

Either way it wont affect me - dont watch it.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:43
Same here. The worst I have to do is look at sky guide for E4 and see endless BB extras.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 19:56
There's only one thing on TV worth watching at the moment - Cold Case. One of the best written dramas I have seen for years! I also watch Jake 2.0, but only because it's on before 24 and 24 has been utter dog poo until the last 2 episodes. Angel is nearly finished, Friends ends tonight (not that I care, but the wife loves it), Fraiser ends soon (which I do care about - utterly sublime comedy!), Nip Tuck ended a while ago too. Ahh... TV is mostly terrible Get coding instead!

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 20:42
Big Brother, Koh-Lanta, Big Diet, Nice People, Star academy, ... pfff, I just hated that : boring, everytime the same things. It became worse when in was on every channel : the french, german and dutch ones ... since then I watched almost never the little TV screen. That's how it affected my life : no tv anymore

Quote: "Stella, Pizza and UT2004 will be rife."

You meant Stella Artois ?

- Mind the gap -
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 20:47
I have couple of sad flatmates that will probably watch BB and I'll probably catch an episode or two. Friends is ok. Like Rich, I absolutely love Frasier and am sad to see that finish in a few episodes time.

Coupling is probably the best adult comedy on at the minute. Last few episodes have been brilliant.

I have a flatmate who is really into the Tarzan series on Sky at the minute. It is the biggest pile of doo-doo you have ever seen.

Boo!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 20:55
In answer to the original question : Not a jot, except that the batteries in the remote will get worn out a little faster

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 20:57
meh! ... don't think it'll affect my life at all cause i watch like a few hrs of TV a week;
most of that is cartoons, Scrubs, Enterprise and Angel.
til the new SG-1 series starts doubt it'll be much more; but then Angel is about to finish, Enterprise is right at the end ... Srubs might be too.

So i dunno; probably nowt on anyways. Then again no shows have been really 'lets drop everything and MUST watch' this season anyways.
More a case of 'if ya walking past the TV then, hell why not have a break'

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 21:03
Quote: "Fraiser ends soon (which I do care about - utterly sublime comedy!), "

Amen to that. I was devastated when Prarount Comedy stopped doing the daily episode

I hope frasier ends up with roz, tho it looks like it's going to be that matchmaker at the moment

Of course Enterprise, Scrubs nad Malcolm in the Middle are on my scedule too

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I watch every second of Big Brother, even when they are asleep!

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 22:29
How can anyone watch rubbish like this?? It's crap! If I want to see people sitting around and talking I'd turn my gaze from my TV to my living room! And the only reason its going now is because of the almost gaurenteed sex (weather it be through the glass they've put in the bathroom or forcing them all to sleep in a room with too few beds)!!

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2004 23:57
i will kill myself if my family watches BB

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 00:08
Quote: "Angel is nearly finished, Friends ends tonight (not that I care, but the wife loves it"

In america we have already seen them... I was happpy that friends ended...sad it didn't end in a mass suicide

Angel ending was dissapointing... but still worth watching.(do you belive that bitch sarah michelle gellar refused to play buffy in one of the last few episodes.... what a bitch)

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"
Current good thing: Magic the Gathering Fifth Dawn Prearealese
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 02:58
I confess, I saw the first part of BB tonight and oh boy - will someone just bomb the house and get it over with quickly? Please...

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I liked it. They are good contestants.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 03:12
I happened to see the world's first BB show in Holland. And even though I will never understand why people feel the need to watch crap like that, it was clear to me that it'd become a big hit.

Play Nice! Play Basic!
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 03:18
Derren Brown was the only program that was really "must-watch" over the past few weeks, and possibly Dead Ringers.

Sadly, DB:TTM finished this evening.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 03:35
Yeah, there's so much reality crap these days: Big Brother, Survivor, the Block, the Hot House (that was the biggest flop ever), the Apprentice, that Restaurant one and then you have a billion match-maker ones: The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Average Joe, and now Miriam (gah!). I'm glad I don't watch any of them, fortunately ratings are falling though and people are finally getting sick of them.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 05:18 Edited at: 29th May 2004 05:19
Haha...

The only things I watch on TV are on FoxTel ( pay TV, much like Sky ), and even then I only watch all the Tech stuff on Discovery channel, and Get my SG-1 and Star Trek fix late on weekend nights.

Other than that, I may watch the simpsons after dinner or futurama on a sunday ( but I have most of the series of futurama on my PC now anyway ).

BB... Pffft, no way...

I saw some of it when I was in england last year, and boy, that had to be the worst segment on TV... And the Aussie one is just as cr@p.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 12:55
*sigh* Kill me now, Kill me now.

I hate BB. It's such tripe. If there's anything more boring that my life it's someone else's boring life. I don't need a TV to watch people do nothing all day.. I can do that on my own!

Unfortunately, my girlfriend seems to think it's essential viewing, so I can kiss goodbye to the TV for the next 8 months (or however long it lasts).

If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Derren Brown was the only program that was really "must-watch" over the past few weeks, and possibly Dead Ringers.
"

Darren Brown just hires people to lie for him, and that's just so easy for anyone to do. The woman who tells him what finger she is thinking of......hired!

The woman who turned around when told to.........hired! She had a stupid hat on, hiding the microphone attatched to her ear. The mic was in the right ear, she had the hat pulled over to that side.

The psychiatrist....hired..or stupid. He was looking at the reflections of the words being held up in a picture on the wall. Why he was repeating them I do not know. I would have deliberately chosen different words, but they would not have showed that I suppose.

Darren Brown is just good at lying, and I don't think that lying is actually magic at all.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 14:15
@adr

Quote: "Unfortunately, my girlfriend seems to think it's essential viewing, so I can kiss goodbye to the TV for the next 8 months (or however long it lasts)"

Big Brother or your girlfriend?

@JessTicular

Don't ya just love channel 46. Not that i've watched it. I don't even have Foxtel. But my friend does. And we only flicked past it. Didn't watch. . I'm gonna go away now...

*cough*LESBIANS*cough*

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 16:09
lol @ Flibble...

I've seen it a few times... Nothing to rave about... lol...
TBH, the movies are usually as boreing as hell... Untill you get to the outragously stupid parts that are meant to be serious, and you can't help but laugh at the idiots, lol...

Quote: "I hate BB. It's such tripe. If there's anything more boring that my life it's someone else's boring life. I don't need a TV to watch people do nothing all day.. I can do that on my own!"

Too True... You're just a boreing person adr! I mean, couldn't you do at least SOMETHING interesting?

lol, I'm just messing with ya mate

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 17:41
The worst thing about these reality tv shows is when the cut the sound for about 10 inutes at a time, thats one of the reasons i dont watch it them it really pisses me off bigstyle

I'm makin' a cake...
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 17:53
Quote: "Darren Brown just hires people to lie for him, and that's just so easy for anyone to do. The woman who tells him what finger she is thinking of......hired!"

Its good entertainment real or not, and TBH if it is fake then they do a good job of it.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 22:09
The Derren Brown Seance will be interesting, as I have a rather more intimate than most knwoeldge of such things. Although I appreciate I may have just spelt it incorrectly

Big Brother only ever lures me in if I fancy one of the birds in it, as they all have a tendancy to film them in the showers etc. I watched it yesterday and saw nothing except Gay people, and one strong homophobe Could be interesting if a fight breaks out, otrher than that I'll just leave the misses to watch it.

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
puki
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not keen on 'Big Brother' - it's a bit samey now. I'd rather watch another 'Celeb Big Brother'. Prefer 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' - I find it more interesting - looking forward to the next one.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2004 04:27
Everyone likes to watch celebrities...

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:39:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:39:21