Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rnaapp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:22
Recently I've been getting alot of ilegal errors on my 98 box from Rnaapp, I had no idea what it did, and it didn't seem to be causing any damage to my computer - so I ignored it.

Today, however my curisoity got the better of me and I found out that Rnaapp does this:

(can't remember what site its from)

Quote: "
Description: Windows Dial-Up Networking application that handles dial-up modem connections. RNAAPP only appears in your Task List if your computer tries or tried to dial out at some stage or if the computer is waiting for an in-bound connection using Dial-Up Networking.
"

"Rnaapp only appears in your Task List if your computer tries to dial out at some stage..." "...Dial-Up Networking..."

This started to bother me. I did have BT Dial up until a couple of months ago, but I now have BT Broadband. My Dial-Up connection is still listed as my default connection (even though I don't use it, and its not even connected to a phone line) so why is my computer still trying to connect using my dial-up modem by itself????

I thought it may be spyware - Ad-aware didn't get rid of the errors, Spybot didn't get rid of them either. So what in jims name is going on??

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:26
That happens to me to.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:32
You could delete the connection information, from your connections screen that should hopefully stop it trying to dial up with your modem.

I'm makin' a cake...
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:36
Thats a good idea, but if I delete the connection information for my dial up, then how do I know that whatever is trying to dial won't use my broadband connection? At least now it can't do any harm.

Gir
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:40
Get a firewall something like ZoneAlarm tells you when something on your comp is trying to access the internet, and you can block it if you want.

I'm makin' a cake...
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:55
I do need one, but I don't think my bak account of £.97 will stretch to it . I'd much rather get rid of the problem full stop.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:56
Make sure you modem isn't still pluged into the phone line incase it's dialing a premium rate number.

Might want to try a virus scanner as well.

he told me that he loved me and then he kicked me in the chest
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2004 18:57
yeah, zonealarm will block both unsolicited inbound and outbound traffic.

If you have no need for that dial up connection I would jot down the settings (just to have) and then delete the connection.

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:35:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:35:06