Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [LOCKED] rpg paper style + possible graphic mudish thing.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I had tonnes of fun playing muds, not to mention rpg paper games. Ive suggested this to quite a few budding mmorpg want to be makers. But then as no one actually has done it yet i thought what the hell ill give it a shot ^^

Theres a very good reason to keep this simple, if its simple it will be able to handle a wide range of rpg's and wargames come to that.

Lol iam no fanboy, I know I wont be writting the next nwn but Iam cofident I can write a fun tool to get rpg / mud over the net. The cunning thing is, getting the rpg paper side up will be easy. I dont see much more coding required for the mud either. Were not talking hundreds of users, a couple of mates nothing more. And bandwidth isnt an issue either, you dont need 1000's of people being updated etc if you only have a few mates playing.

omg i so wanted to do a mud game >< I think its going to be possible .... just.

Okay you have to love DBpro. Started today and um ive got this sorted already omg, and i really do suck at coding hehe.

1/ Dungeon master/player client (currently connecting direct on 1 machine, multiple sessions)

2/ the Dungeon master types /lm lvl1 and it forces all players to load the map and positions them on the starting square.

3/ Map design, hehe okay iam cheeky, and so very lazy. You design your lvls in paint brush, it looks at each color pixel as a 10x10x10 cube. This cube is painted as the same color. This will be swapped for actual models later.

4/ Chat is implemented between all players

5/ Rolling a dice is now implemented to roll a D100 you type

/rl 100

it tells all players that ...

>player1< D100 used rolled 56

6/ Lol the bmp is converted into cubes and the players can run about the map, no collision done yet. But the players do update and move about ^^.

things to do, well I really am feeling much better about this idea. Got alot done! Things to do next.

1/ character storage - this is very basic, dont need all the stats, infact for paper rpg just hitpoints. All players will be expected to email there char sheets before play. Hit points to be lowered in combat by Dungeon Master.

2/ Havent mentioned monsters and traps, gah gonna have to write somthing for it. Luckly Ive got a monster/light placement prog ready ^^

3/ need to link gm notes to items/monsters/events + enable gm to drop events into the game. Just like placing that old battered metal troll infront of the group in the old days

4/ need to be able to control players ability to explore the map. otherwise they may run past all the monsters!! good idea me thinks Possible turn base button, for combat.

5/ need to test this baby. make a simple mini-wargame and get you lot involved. Did see an astrix wargame, where each person took on a character and simply brawled in an in. Very tempting

5a/ Create some models and bin the cubes

6/ oh and i havent changed to the code to do games via ip yet so that might have to be done

few what a laugh this multi play thing is a giggle

anyone want to try this out later with an online rpg group in a few months give us a bell. Lol and iam not doing the Gmin cause i suck, could do wargaming possibly.
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
lol and ... doh!

+++ need to create characters for players. My first thought to make it fast to create will be a 2d image on a stand, that the player can create and upload to the gm. if you did rpg paper, i bet you spent time drawing. I want to do full 3d models for the final result. But the idea is also to create your own, re paint the texures etc.

+++ perhaps a speed attribute, them elfs do shift it compared to drawf war machines!
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm now I could do a kind of 2d planed models, with transparancy. So you draw it all in the texture .. weapon and all and you get a psuedo 3d effect. hmmm. Anyway ill post a download tomorrow. Its only going to run on 1 comp at the moment, with multiple sessions. But will be interesting, promise. Perhaps try and get a rough 3d enviroment, so you can play with making maps and character texturing.

till tomorrow!

oh my blury eyes.
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
oh my blury eyes. "

is it that you have had or that you need

Give All The Credit Away
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 04:26 Edited at: 31st May 2004 04:27
Hi pathfinder.

This is the wrong forum for this kind of post. Threads in the WIP forum should have a screenshot, source or a download for the project / something related to the project.

This belongs in the Team Requests forum.

Unfortunately I cannot move the post so you'll have to copy 'n paste this one there.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 15:09:41
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 15:09:41