Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Has anyone seen the Doom 3 Engine?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 05:59
It was shown at E3.

It's incredible. Simply incredible. I think Doom 3 will cause some people to kill themselves, I mean just from what I saw scared me.

GXEntertainment - http://gxe.dbspot.com/
-- The forums are here!
GameXaero forums - www.t4e0.4cybiko.com
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 07:39
woa there! You're gonna kill your self!

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 15:35
Doom3 screenies and preview vids have been showing up for more than 2 years now.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 16:01
Kill themselves? I think you should lay off the coffee....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 16:02
there making a doom 3?
OMG

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 16:31
What is Doom?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 17:26
I think Raven mentioned it
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 17:37
Quote: "What is Doom?"

You are joking, right?

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent
Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:19
Oh, I only just saw the movie at E3.

No, im not going to kill myself.

I'm just saying, this game will give people night tremors.

Which are worse than nightmares.

Earquakes >>> Horses

-- The forums are here!
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:38 Edited at: 31st May 2004 18:38
Quote: "I'm just saying, this game will give people night tremors"
Mmm. After having tea with the vicar perhaps....

Anyhows, they will put a 15, 16, or 18 rating on it (like all their other games). Just like films. So if people under that age get a bit scared then they should have read the label. Bit like watching Exorcist when you were 8 or something. Serves you right basically. God that was a really funny film (doctors smoking all over the hospital was the best).... slightly more funny/ frightening that pile of rubbish Blair witch thingy (which was totally unscary).

Oh, and I would ditch the skull avatar if you had to hide behind the sofa.... (heh, I used to do that to the Hulk when I was a kid.... erm, and Lassie....)

Cheers

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:46
Its old news. Doom 3 really hasn't changed that much in terms of appearence over the past couple of years.

The interesting question will be whether or not ID Software have made a successful go at single player (having failed with Quake 1,2,3).

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:55
I dunno, Quake 2 was a pretty decent single player game.

If Doom 3 matches up even 50% to the feeling of playing Doom 1 for the first time, then I'll be playing it for a long time to come.

Although graphics don't matter so much, as after a while running around, you sort of don't take the scenary in very well. I run around like an idiot of UT2004, and still notice nice effects on a level I've played dozens of times before.

Cheers

Zero Blitzt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 18:57
Umm... I didnt want this to turn into a thread where everyone flames me for what I say or what avatar I use.

I use the skull because it is a pirate symbol. Get it straight.

-- The forums are here!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 19:15
Yeah, doom 3 is ancient, they've been showing it since 2001, many demos have leaked out over the years too. It hasn't changed at all in looks. IMHO, it's rather ugly by now. The realtime dynamic lighting system is ugly compared to Half-Life 2, polygon counts are obviously fairly low even past the detail mapping, and the weapons and enemies have that same boring sameness that plagued Quake 1 2 and 3. Half-Life 2 is the way to go...

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 20:22 Edited at: 31st May 2004 20:22
Quote: "Half-Life 2 is the way to go..."

They're two totally different games made by two different companies. Picking one game over another because of graphics is, in my opinion, stupid.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 20:27
Quote: "I didnt want this to turn into a thread where everyone flames me for what I say or what avatar I use"
Umm, calm down (remember, less coffee), I was only having a joke. If I really meant it then I wouldn't have made the Lassie reference to myself.

But if you are going to post something about how a game is really scarey, and how people will kill themselves after seeing it, then expect some jokey comebacks.

Cheers

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 22:06
Quote: "They're two totally different games made by two different companies. Picking one game over another because of graphics is, in my opinion, stupid."

Oh, let's see. It's also got larger, more open ended enviorments, a full-fledged editing system and tools for porting HL1 mods to HL2, the capabilities to port the entire game of HL1 to the HL2 engine, more freeform gameplay, a better physics system, more detailed game design, a longer story, far, far more enemy types, and a way more complex and interesting storyline (whereas Doom 3's is just a rehash of the first). But, uh, yeah, surely only the graphics are better

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 22:11
doom3, hands down, coded by ID, done when it's done attitude. they could release this in summer 2005 and it will still top the charts.
pure pant crapping stuff!!!

regards, geecee3.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 22:14 Edited at: 31st May 2004 22:15
Why does everyone keep on about Doom 3, and Half Life 2??? Tomb Raider 8 will be out soon!!!

See...The number is much bigger!!! That makes it 8 times better!!!

geecee3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 22:15
nah...

tomb raider has and always will be crap!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2004 22:58
Doom3 only has a 15 Certificate (Teen) because beside all it's postering it is more of a jump fest than something that'll make you wet the bed.

I was quite surprised that Resident Evil Remake also was only a 15, because there are soem bit which make my stomach a lil queesy; but then again only canabalism actually makes me feel ill.

Personally speaking although I do look forward to Half-Life 2, I am far more looking forward to Doom3 (and more over Quake4).
Simply because although alot of people will argue this, Doom3 is more technologically impressive.

If you care to examine, the main selling features of Half-Life 2 are:
Graphics (Source Shader Material Engine)
Story-line (12x 4hr Parts)
Physics (Havok)

However, when you look at it more closely. The source engine is the complete rebuild of the original engine, so you have scalable graphics from the original HL look right upto the HL2 look.
Unfortunately these 'drop-dead-gorgous' graphics of HL2 currently run at 65fps on a 3.2GHz / 512MB / Radeon 9800 XT system at 1024x768x32.

You want a count of hands on how many people ACTUALLY have these speed computers?
The adverage Joe Bloggs will expect it to be played at top end after all the posing... but quite frankly most peoples systems can't handle that.
In-fact most peoples computers will be playing it at graphics not that far from the likes of ... FarCry on min settings.

Graphically speaking what Doom3 looks like in the screenshots is almost exactly what most people will get on thier systems.
As those who've seen the X-Box version and PC versions, they do look very close.

Combine this with the fack that HL2 doesn't look half as impressive without the water in the picture, seriously... the only sections i've actually been impressed with so-far are those where your swimming down the canal, etc...
So on the point of graphics it isn't as impressive as alot of it has been lead to believe.

Consider this... All light in Doom3 is dynamic, meaning if a level warrents it (suchas the Hanger Bay) where you get the sun or another powerful light comming in; instantly this would affect all of the other lights.
HL2 on the other hand relies on good old lightmaps, they might be higher resolution now but still lightmaps. This means there is only so much you can actually do with the lighting in a scene.
Yes HL2 has Soft-Shadows, however so does Doom3 ... neither are depth volumetric like Broken Sword 3 (depth volumetrics are where the shadows react to lights strength, position and other lighting); because of how Doom3 does them this can be forgiven, particularly as Doom3 isn't tryin to create the illusion of realism. HL2 is though!

Next comes storyline... HL2 features a 'non'-linear storyline, which allows you to play out each chapter in any order you choose.
Unfortunately each chapter is as linear as it's predecessor game.
It makes for a very in-depth story, however it is false to have mentioned it was non-linear.
Doom3 on the other hand has an atmospheric story, just aimed at scaring the bejesus out of you; What hasn't ever been covered is the fact that, there are very few 'required' scripted events. And the world you inhabit is dynamic in the way that things works because they're linked to other things.

A good example, if you walk along the walkway from where you ship 'should've' been there is a glowing control panel with 'Power' on it. Shoot it a few time with a shot gun and the panel explodes, then all the lights turn off in your section.
It is stuff like this which makes the world more 'real' to be in, and really does create the atmosphere for the game.

Final selling point ... Physics.
HL2 has Havok 1.0 physics...
Doom3 has Havok 1.0 physics...

Honestly they both use the exact same engine. HL2 has the GravGun which means you've gotta try and use the physics to your advantage more. Doom3 really this is more reserved for multiplayer, however there are some area's which use it quite well. Like when you turn off the Anti-Grav to beat the Helldog thingiemabob.

They both use them in different ways. For HL2 it's a gimmic of playing, in Doom3 it's for atmosphere.

As i said i'm looking forward to both, but really HL2 is just HL with gimmics imo. It'd of been just as good with the original engine after the physics update.

Quote: "Why does everyone keep on about Doom 3, and Half Life 2??? Tomb Raider 8 will be out soon!!! "

Perhaps cause Crystal Dynamics is working on TR7 not 8... and to be honest CD are far more known for mindless arcade style platforming games. TR was just getting far more serious and in-depth.
I have serious doubts that the game is gonna actually gonna be good at all.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 01:16
Aha. Personally I just preferred playing Doom to Half Life.

Cheers

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 02:19
Quote: "Doom3 only has a 15 Certificate (Teen) because beside all it's postering it is more of a jump fest than something that'll make you wet the bed."

Not in the US. Not unless they seriously tune down the gore. I am rather well aquainted with ESRB.

Izzy545
Years of Service
User Offline
Why does no one ever speak about unreal 3? I know there's not much hype about it out right now, but dang, from the video I saw it looks amazing. You'll need the newest graphics card to play it though. Period. 1 million polygon scenes on most of the levels, I hear. And the lighting. OMG the lighting. It's so cool.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it's been out for ages now....

Douglass
Years of Service
User Offline
Doom 3? Didn't they already made Doom 64?

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 04:49
Unreal3 isn't coming out anytime soon, so it's not comparable to Doom3 or HL2.

The Doom3 single player actually sounds nice. Most of the new Doom3 blabs in Gamespy are regarding single player related stuff, like voice acting. But Quake4 will definitely own any other game. Not like that messy patchwork of copied source code that the HL2 developers are doing, it's basically the same game engine with a different renderer and different entities. HL2 still needs a radiosity compile stage for the lightmaps, so map compiling will still take forever, while it comes out finished instantly on Doom3. Level editing takes up a lot of time when making mods, so we can all see which one actually makes mod teams' lives easier. Even if HL2 does allow you to port mods, you still have to edit the levels to make use of the new features, so yeah you still have to go through the tedious rad stage.

Epic seems to focus more on developing commercial engines so they could get more money off technology licensing.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 04:59
Unreal 3 looks frigging FANTASTIC. Best graphics engine around, period. But it's in a totally different line than Doom 3 and HL2-- it's not due 'til mid 2006!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 05:15
Epic have seen the light that id Software set around 10 years ago... take forever on your own games, but make sure there is an engine for everyone else to use on thiers.

Quake4 certainly is an entirely different dog.
What Raven Software have promised the engine will do, quite frankly is unbelieveable.

Remember that Quake4 is set to ship close to parallel to Doom3, there has been ZERO hype about it, ZERO knowlage in/out of Raven software about what you can actually do.
But the buzz around thier forums is basically to expect something not that far from Halo.

Doom3 goes for the enclosed story driven jump-fest. Whereas Quake4 is going for the Quake2 feel... that is exactly what both Raven and id Software wanted from Quake4.
A fully modification engine, which although has a single player relies far more on the multiplayer aspect of alot of people.

Althought I'm not expecting miricles of the 64 people servers Quake2 had; open landscapes, vehicles, large numbers of players due to the Client-Server Network rather than the Peer-2-Peer Doom3 has.
It's going to be very cool to see two very different FPS in the same engine.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 05:24
There's no way Quake 4's going to ship in August like Doom III is-- I'm not sure what you're saying there; the game hasn't been in development for half as long, and there aren't even any screenshots or media out for it. It will be interesting seeing a Quake game done by Raven Software though... I mean, they've regularly made better games than id with id's own engines (Doom-> Heretic, Doom II->Hexen, Quake->Hexen II, Quake II->Heretic II), and with one of id's two flagship series being handed over to them, perhaps they'll finally get the credit they deserve for their effort.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 10:17
A friend of mine got one of the leaked Doom 3 thingys. He made me a copy and i looked at for a while (i got rid of it, don't flame me ). What suprised me is the fact that it is running on what looks like a super-Q3 engine. Same console system. If you bring it down and type "give all" it says "error: cannot find railgun" or something like that. BUt the graphics are SWEET! it worked on my comp, and back then (this was las year) i was running a p3 650 and a MX 440, and it ran. Not too well, but it ran. And those zombie people are scary. BANG. shot him. he gets back up. BANG. he gets back up again. Scary stuff. Looking forward to both HL2 and D3. And Quake 4.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 17:55
That was another thing that surprised me about Doom III; they said it'd take an uber-system to run, but it actually runs on fairly bad hardware. As you said, not well, but it runs. Smoothly on a Radeon 9500. Then again, they were saying it'd require monster hardware back in 2001-- as with the game itself, that's behind the times now.

If you ask me, id needs to start making and meeting deadlines . If they'd tightened up their schedule a bit and beat HL2 to the shelves (it's still uncertain which will come out first), they wouldn't have had such competition to deal with. The same goes for Valve, of course, but their game is really 'better' in every aspect and thus they can afford a slack schedule better. I mean, who's afraid of inferior competition?

CliffyB said in an interview after UT2k4 shipped that they were going to start meeting their deadlines with games after that-- 'when it's done' didn't pay, in both senses of the word. I hope other developers start following that trend too. As CliffyB said, set a realistic date to start with and you won't have to push it back in the first place .

Eldar
Years of Service
User Offline
Mouse- The main reason it'll run on older hardware, abliet slowly, is because in all reality, it's just a directx 8 engine(looks really good though, which is testament to Carmac's coding skills) .

3.1 ghz Pentium 4
Geforce FX 5800 ultra @ 535/1300
DX 9
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 04:01
Quote: "There's no way Quake 4's going to ship in August like Doom III is-- I'm not sure what you're saying there; the game hasn't been in development for half as long, and there aren't even any screenshots or media out for it."

Quake4 has been in development parallel to Doom3; There has been no screenshots/word about the project because Raven Software have always only let slip information they wish the public to know.

Jedi Knight 2 and Soldier of Fortune were very good examples of this.
No one outside of id or Raven Software know what is exactly Quake4 looks like, what is going into it, etc... but both companies have stated quite clearly that both products will also ship at the same time.

Doom3 was gold a good 8months ago. It is because of the deam with Microsoft getting Doom3 first that has actually stopped the launch.
It was a stupid deal if you ask me, but atleast this isn't a case of seeing Doom3 2years down the line like other Microsoft bargined titles.

Quote: "That was another thing that surprised me about Doom III; they said it'd take an uber-system to run, but it actually runs on fairly bad hardware. As you said, not well, but it runs. "

The Doom III alpha bares no relation to the current PC build; for once both ATI and NVIDIA were running on specific graphics routines, now they both use ARB2. The graphics engine and physics engine are set, which has ment the team at id have had around 8 months to enhance and optimise everything.

Quote: "If you ask me, id needs to start making and meeting deadlines."

To be fair... id Software never set deadlines, so erm how exactly can they meet them?
Although alot of hopeful shops like Amazon seemed to believe Doom3 was ready around a year and a half ago; id never set a date, activision never set a date... hell if you looked at thier sites you wouldn't even know it was in development.

Quote: "The main reason it'll run on older hardware, abliet slowly, is because in all reality, it's just a directx 8 engine(looks really good though, which is testament to Carmac's coding skills) ."

BAAAAAAHHHPP! Wrong, care to try again there sparky?
Doom3 uses OpenGL 1.4 w/OpenAL 1.0 Sound, which uses DirectSound EAX under Windows (but it doesn't need it). It also is capable of using DirectPlay but i'm not sure if it was pure in as a *use if there* features or what Doom3's based on.

Quake4 however uses the Quake2 Networking.

(also it's John Carmack... with a 'k', and he doesn't do all the programming; he is a senior programmer not the only programmer.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:43