Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My Last Post & Why I Am Leaving

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 04:34
I was telling him to stop bugging you .

Btw, that sig's lost a good deal of quality in .gif format. It'd look better as a low quality jpeg.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Ha ha Wooly Mammoth has reduced the sig from Jpg to Gif and it looks worse, but the funniest thing is that it uses more bytes!!!

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 15:32
pincho lol

fall down seven times, stand up eight
sidewkdik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 15:40
ROTFL @ Wooly Mammoth Games

AVrIL LAVIGNe is the best!!!!
Guns n roses greatest hits is good!!! - got all there old albums
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 15:52
Lmao... That's too funny !!

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 16:26
Lol!!! Haha!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this site is the best one for newbies like myself . Everyone's been soooo helpful especially Jess Ticular and Custard Soft. Without them, I'd be stuck with my lil cruddy matrix and Mp5. The newbs don't get treated with disrespect, it's just they expect you to do all the work for you. Not long ago, someone was asking about AI, then asked for an example, then how to get distance check THEN limb hits. I mean, being a newbie myself, I always try to figure out my problem BEFORE posting it. That way, I'm not be a lazy lil bum.

Who dares; wins.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:56 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 01:56
Now that's a good newbie attitude . Have a cookie.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:15
*hugs the toothpaste out of Rakosi*

Someone sticky that on all the forums.

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:59
I stupidly made the mistake of posting in the wrong forum not to long ago. Cant remember why. Probably something to do with over consumption of beer. Anywho, I learned my lesson the tough way by getting flamed and accused of being a lot of things I dont think I am. I still wake up in a cold sweat every night about it. People, dont flame us noobies! We're young and foolish to your wise ways!
Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go and clean my mouth out and take my medication...

Infra-Dark
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 05:05
lol, thanks for the compliment SAS Elite Pvt Rakosi

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 06:42 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 06:43
As far as newbies go, they really don't bother me. Don't believe me? Here's 19 tutorials covering some of the most common questions asked around here. http://curvedbasic.dbspot.com/DBTutorial.htm If it weren't for them, I'd have practically nothing on my website. And besides, reprogramming the basics only makes my foundation stronger.
Give them the resources, and they'll get the job done.

(Spammers of course, are a different story)

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 10:35
NOW you just need to make your site prettier

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 12:33 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 12:35
oh well WMG...too bad you're leaving, but we can't stop you, it's your decision, and nothing more, we all hope you return soon, with good news and helpful things for us all.

Now about the newbies...

I started with DBC, with no knowledge of 3D programming, just tried it for a month and leaved it, because I didn't got too much experience. Then I moved to DIV Games Studio 2 (MS-DOS ) and I did some games, until a friend of mine released a 3D DLL for it, so I did some 3D games with it. Then I moved to DB again, with more adquired experience and internet at home (slow but cheap). I joined here when the AlienWare compo times, just a month after it started, by recommendation of a friend (he was doing that Tomb Raider style alien game in DBPro, with tanks and all that, he speak spanish ), so if you all remember, my first post was that of animating while moving my alien. I must admit that I READED AND EXPERIMENTED with some examples and using the room demo as a base I did my alienware game (it wasn't finished though), because I was afraid of showing up like a real n00b that didn't readed the help files or didn't got any programming experience. Also my parents raised me showing me to be polite and say thanks and all that and appreciate all the help the people give me, and to repay too . I first posted in the newcomers forum, and I must admit that I was very welcome there, perhaps because I was polite, explained well my problem and gived some code to make my problem more clear?. I am not noob today, but I ask things and help people because, as the phrase "give to recieve" says, I help and I get help, and it's true. I've put my sand grain here and there, as others did.

Also I'm very ashamed of how the DB image is getting, the noobs today don't read any help files, or tutorials, or anything, they simply post, and some post with crappy language, and that's why I don't help them, also some aren't polite, they don't say thanks, or "I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me " or things like that, no, I see a "CAN SOME1 HEL P ME PPLLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!!" all in caps. I remember a post in the DBC forum (recently) that got me upset in the way the guy reacted when people tried to help him (I'm not gonna mention him but I'm sure that you all know of who I'm talking) and triple posted and all that, didn't said thanks, was always wanting code and didn't did anything for himself, and didn't even knew how to use a function! , no one said him to use the edit button (except me for what I readed), nor an mod putted some order (well, Indi gived him some code of getting distances, but didn't scolded him or anything like that, I believe, not sure...).

I really like noobs, they're like my sons (hey hey, don't misunderstand it!), they learn and make their own path in game programming, thanks to us, only if they post in a nice way, read the stickies and don't post any dumb team request thing. They know what they're doing (I hope) and that's why they get flamed, it's the way of thinking of them, they think a forum is a quick search CHM file with AI people that answers all their questions and give them all the code they want (I'm not talking about all). I think they should read the stickies and rules before posting anything. I did that too, and that's why I got the respect from others, and we also joke and all that and I was caring about my image here, I did know I will be here for a loooooooong time and I didn't wanted to seem like a stupid noob that doesn't know anything and want that everyone do the work for him, we (and this goes for noobs too) have to put an effort by ourselves, we can't hope that money comes to us, we have to work to earn it, and it's like that here.

And so, people like WMG leaves, by just seeing how the noobs are treated here, but they're treated in a fair way, you post well, following the rules and being a nice guy, you get nice answers and friends too . If you post in a crappy language with all in caps, you get flamed, because of your attitude.

Well WMG, it's up to you to stay or leave, it's sad, but it's your decision, we can't stop you nor we are someone to say what you can or not do, you'll always have a place here, in our heart, with people awaiting for you to arrive, with open arms and good news

WMG, may the force be with you

Sorry for the "book", but please, read it

-DARKGuy

/edit: corrected some grammatical errors

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::

http://darkguy.redgaming.net
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 13:53
Quick Rich, WMG is gone, change the forum address

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:26:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:26:53