Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Yes! Finally finished with high school!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 07:01
Yay, I am done with high school, finally. Anyone else here graduating this year? Just curious.

I will be going to University of Wisconsin Stout in Menomonie, Wisconsin for mechanical design engineering. I can't wait until college...

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 07:12
Congrats to you! You graduate with honors? As for me, I'm graduating next March. 1 school year to go.

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 08:24
One more school year to go... . Ahh well lets me get more prepared for my life .

Night Giant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 08:26 Edited at: 1st Jun 2004 08:27
two weeks from tommorow i be graduatin'! and two days before that my band has a show! it's gonna be an amazing next few months. because i am also moving to new york state for college (rochester institute of technology). i keep saying to myself "holy sh*t! you're graduating and moving across the country!" lol.

oh, congratulations bolt! happy trails man.

oh, wow. insignificantpunks.cjb.net.
no: website for progs yet.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 10:48
This year but not until the end of the year. Unlike the US, Australian schools start the school year at the start of the year and end the school year at the end of the year. Crazy, I know, but try to understand.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 17:56
Sigh . No, not me. More years of hell ahead. Oh well-- bring it on !

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 18:52
Hey, congrats Xander

I'm in the same position as Exeat ( exactly the same infact as we both will "graduate" at almost identical times )

School really does suck, I must say.
Don't get me wrong, I do well ( a little above 90% [ over-all ] ) in my subjects, but school just gets so boreing after 13 years... I mean, it's just so damned repeditive... i don't know about your schooling, but over here, english isn't english, and General Math ( the lowest math class ) get more encouragment than the Advanced Math class, and our "Software Design" teacher can't even code anything without first looking up a tutorial... it's pathetic really when we sit in class and tell HIM what code means...

Anyway, enough of my ramblings of my extreme dislike toward school.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 19:15
Yeah, school kinda sucks. Internet tutorials are cool though. Studying is fun if it's the subject you like. But at least our computer teachers are decent. They may look stupid because they're teaching the stuff they aren't too good at. I mean, my teacher from 2 school years ago sucked at Photoshop, but it ends up that she's good with Premiere. Then my last teacher wasn't too much of a coder, but he's good at anything that has to do with Flash. Bad management...

Quote: "More years of hell ahead. Oh well-- bring it on"

I'm in the home stretch baby!

@Exeat and JessTicular: School here starts at the end of summer, and ends at the beginning of summer. But summer here is around April and May

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 19:19
arkheii,

Yeah, I can understand that about your past teachers... but, our current teacher seriously is just plain idiotic ( for a Software Design teacher ). I could go into all the idiotic and painfull details, but I think my hands'll cramp before I'm done.

About the school year,
Well, yeah, we knew that, and then when Aus got it's school system up and running, we thought... Hmm... why not be smart, let's start the school year WITH the actual year

Jess.

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 19:27
So when do you get your vacations?

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2004 19:47
'bout the same times you do... but our extended one ( 6 weeks ) is from just before Xmas till the start of February.

Our next 2 week break will be in about 6 weeks for me ( Can't wait ).

Other than that, we have a 4-term year, with breaks of 6, 2, 2 and 2 weeks inbetween.

Jess.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 03:08
Except the past two years we've been finishing in late November so that gives us a good two months of no school.

And this year we'll finish in mid-November and won't have to worry about Uni until March.

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 03:45
arkheii: Yeah, I am on the honor role. My GPA was 3.98. I don't know if it is the same in Australia, but our grade scale is a 4.0 grade scale. A 4.0 means you got all A's throughout school. I got one B. It was my Freshman year in History. The teacher gave us a choice on what we wanted to do for a grade. I didn't really want to do a presentation, so I went for the B grade because I thought that high school would be difficult. My mistake. Well, I got a B+. That is my only non-A on my report card. Dang, oh well. I still got half of my college tuition payed for by a big scholarship and the other half with financial aid.

At my school we don't really have anything for programming. There is a media productions class, but I wasn't really interested. The closest thing to computer stuff that I did was Computer Aided Drafting. I made a really cool Porsche during my free time. I will upload a picture some time... We have some math and science, I took the highest math and cool science classes I could. I got through Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry with and A. Actually not too hard... I guess I am blessed.

I like having my vacation during the summer, I get to relax and go swimming, play baseball, and play video games on rainy days. Actually I have to work in the garden a lot.

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 04:54
Crazy...

We don't quite have what you do... We have what's called a UAI ( University Admission Index ), it's way too complex to explain right now, but it is a result of a combination, then average of your combined End-Of-Year test ( HSC Tests ) and last year's in-class marks.

The highest possible is 100.

Most people ( at our level ) get about 87 to 92 ( extremely good )

This mark ( obviously ) determines what clases you can get into at University.

As an example, a Graphic Design class at a local Uni here needs a UAI of 85... And a game production class needs a UAI of 87 etc etc.

Jess.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
What's a UAI? Is that sort of like a GPA?

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 09:52
Yeah, in Victoria we have an ENTER which is basically exactly the same as what Jess said but the highest is 99.95.

DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
wow!!! hehe congrats bolt!!! I wish you the best of luck with your career!

Quote: "School really does suck, I must say.
Don't get me wrong, I do well ( a little above 90% [ over-all ] ) in my subjects, but school just gets so boreing after 13 years... I mean, it's just so damned repeditive... i don't know about your schooling, but over here, english isn't english, and General Math ( the lowest math class ) get more encouragment than the Advanced Math class, and our "Software Design" teacher can't even code anything without first looking up a tutorial... it's pathetic really when we sit in class and tell HIM what code means..."

I'm 100% with you Jess, I do well too over nearly all the guys, and that's right, it gets BORING after 13 years. Oh well, since I live in Venezuela, we are just a bunch of people who speak spanish with a crazy president for the moment (but, I'm proud of my country ) and we have an english teacher who doesn't even know how to write good a word ...the first class, she writed "Aeroport" instead of "Airport"...LOL! I got to correct her...lol!...well, and she does a lot of mistakes and I think: "oh dear god..she's giving us real english??"...thanks to god I'm there or all my friends will end speaking...like some n00bs . Also I got a teacher who...I was his teacher she is a computer's teacher (primary education, before college)...Instead of she teaching us, I teached her to teach all the guys...lol....and Jess...about your "software design" teacher.....LOL!

BTW I'm studying in a system where you study 2 years in one (I'm not sure if that's called Parasystem there... ) and we have that sort of UAI that you have ...gotta put a bit of effort to if if I wanna be a programmer

Anyway, I've got a lot of years to study before graduating but, as Mouse said, bring it on !

hehe

-DARKGuy

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::

http://darkguy.redgaming.net
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 13:13
@Jess and Exeat

Same system over here too, but ours is called a TER (Tertiry Entrance Rank)

Jess, i think the max is 99.95, cos i refers to the percentage of people in the state that you are better than, and you can't be better than yourself

@All

If you wanted to know, Jess, Exeat and myself are all graduating this year, at about the same time. Isn't that exciting?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 13:15
Quote: "she writed "Aeroport" instead of "Airport"...LOL!"

Actually that's not too bad considering you have Aeroplanes and then Airplane has become slang for it. I'd imagine that if you were new to English you could quite easily confuse Aeroport with Airport.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 18:52
Quote: "Jess, Exeat and myself are all graduating this year, at about the same time. Isn't that exciting?"

cO_o,

crazy stuff it is

Jess.

DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
@Exeat: well...she looks that she have more than 50 years...and has gived english in other schools...so I don't think that's the case

:: Pentium 300 Mhz, 8Mb video card, 64Mb RAM, 5 gb & 1.6 gb HD's, W98SE, Sound Blaster AWE 32 ::

http://darkguy.redgaming.net

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:26:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:26:26