Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Newer console's warning large image.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 05:12
Was reading the newest last egm mag and found this article i though some of the people on this fourms might be interested in seeing it.
Sorry for the size but couldn't reduce it much more with a readable quality.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 05:45 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 05:50
Hmm...

Im skeptical of the "installation scripts"

and they really need to change the same. ApeXtreme is horrible.

otherwise, sounds good...

Amist the Blue Skies...
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 05:59
yay another bunch of game boxes to buy and waist endless hours of time on

i knew about the infinum labs one but not this apextreme one.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 06:45
Everyone knows about the Phantom. I've never heard of this new one before.

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 06:51 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 06:51
I guess what i find most interesting is the systems will play off the shelf pc games that it installs to the hard drive just by poping it in. Then uses these installation scripts, everything from new to buget titles and there won't be any top pc games not on the system, seems alot to be stating, but considering it is basically a pc in a box makes me wonder about the possiblity of maybe independent coders such as c or c++ languages playable on one of these system saying off the shelf pc games, of course depending on these so called installation scripts, but it doesn't state these games will be coded for these systems themselves. Yeah i know its probablly a pipe dream but it would be pretty cool also find it interesting that alienwares is in on this.
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:28
Ape Extreme??

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 08:47 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 08:52
Ape Xtreme,

No matter what CD you put in, you will be forced to play Donkey Kong. Then their sales slogan could be:

"Ape Xtreme... It's on like Donkey Kong!"

Maybe I'm missing something but only people who don't have a decent PC would even consider this right? I haven't had too many problems installing games since the DOS days. And although I haven't tried it, don't apps like NO-CD take care of the need to carry the CD with you?
If I could unlock all the prorietary stuff it would be a nice spare PC for under $300.00. I'll have to wait till people start digging into this thing before I'd even consider. Does it say what OS it's running, It would have to be XP right? How will I patch or Upgrade the OS or DirectX? It will probably have Messenger service running just so I can get pop-up adds while playing a console.

I know I read in a mag(EGM) that trashed the phantom, but did give a good preview on a more PC-like console. I'll have to check to see if it was Ape Xtreme. If it was it definately wasn't going by that name.

I once, many years ago, bought a Gorilla amp, and was finally thrown out of the band because no-one could practice seriously... looking at a big ape on my cabinet. I've had aversions to monkeys, apes, gorillas and the like ever since. Very tragic!!!

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 09:38
Quote: "I once, many years ago, bought a Gorilla amp, and was finally thrown out of the band because no-one could practice seriously... looking at a big ape on my cabinet. I've had aversions to monkeys, apes, gorillas and the like ever since. Very tragic!!!"

Can ya give it to me ?

Amist the Blue Skies...
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 11:43
I eventually sold the Gorilla and bought a Crate, which I traded for a fender, which I eventually blew out (not just the speaker but diodes, and resistors kept popping and smoking).

Now I either play Acoustic, Electric through my Zoom processor with Headphones, or my 197X Ampeg Tube amp. And that I'm holding on to.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 16:49
That console will only be sold to the suckers that think paying $300 for a "console to play PC game son your TV" is cheaper than paying $50 for a Tuner Card which allows you to put ANYTHING on your TV from your PC.

This is just for idiots basically.

Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 16:51
Quote: "Maybe I'm missing something but only people who don't have a decent PC would even consider this right?"

You'd be surprised at how many people don't have the raw cash to keep upgrading their PC . I could buy an Xbox and 5 games for less money than it would take to upgrade my PC to something that would play Halo or Thief 3 reasonably well.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 17:14
Apex has been out for months, it's not new unless the magazine is from August last year.

http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/

really alot of you need to know more about what's going on in the hardware world past Intel and AMD.

there is also this snazzy laptop/handheld thing they've been working on:

Zone Chicken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 17:15 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 17:36
http://www.apextreme.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=90
this is the e3 showcase with the specs
http://www.apextreme.com/images/screenshots/apextreme_specs2.jpg

oh and raven yeah there has been talk of these thing for over a year but the article is the june 2004, guess the big deal is that they won some tech tv digital digs thingy, but they had a working version at E3 instead of just some hype promotion and had versions with ati radon 9800 cards installed running. I might buy one when they are relasesed if its decent but just as a vacation toy.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 19:47 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 19:48
Will the ApexExtreme sell well in the UK ? If they're thinking of releasing here, that is...
Same goes for the Phantom...

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 19:58
I woulnd't mind buying a complete gaming PC for only $399.

I heard about the Phantom though, Thought it was a joke.

Amist the Blue Skies...
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 01:13
Mouse,

Just to be fair, I said right after the sentence you quoted.

Quote: "If I could unlock all the prorietary stuff it would be a nice spare PC for under $300.00. I'll have to wait till people start digging into this thing before I'd even consider."

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 01:29
that's definately a good idea, releasing with 20,000 quality games

SubNova
Years of Service
User Offline
It could run DarkBASIC, theoretically, making DB a console-compatible language!!!

Death by skill, not by force.-Iron Condor
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 03:39
How are they consoles? Couldnt I just stuff my computer into a small box and write "console" on it? Thats basically what XBox is anyway. I dont see the point.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 14:13
Its a somewhat cheaper version of a PC (for those that cant afford a really cheap one). I dont see how they will sell at all.

First off, they will be competing against 3 consoles.
Next, the hardware doesn't seem upgradable.
Thirdly, where are they going to be sold ? Just America or the whole world.
Fourthly, will they allow normal PC games to be played (as opposed ot having to download them) ?

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 14:41 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2004 14:43
It gets more complicated before it even gets started. The phantom Menace is goind to be much higher under the same general design, is going to cost around $1,000 (USD) according to a magazine article I read. I tried to find it but I am short on time before heading out to work.

Wasting CPU Cycles since the 286 was a hot machine.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 14:53
The person behind Infinitum Labs does seem to be involved in bit of dodgy dealing : http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:58
its very hard to find a $400 computer with similar specs;

I would definitly buy it, so I can have a PC dedicated to gameplay.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 22:34
Quote: "The person behind Infinitum Labs does seem to be involved in bit of dodgy dealing "

He is no longer in charge of Infinitum Labs, Kevin Bauchus is; who is one of the trio that created the X-Box.
The Phantom doesn't look like the Cg rendering (even slightly); and is said to be upgradeable, but in the world of consoles that is actually a bad idea; because that breeds systems that will run some games but won't run others (incompatibility kills the whole point).

For $399 (Apex) / $199 (Phantom) what you get is basically a relatively powerful mid-range PC; something that would normally set you back around $1,000.
Both run on Windows Embedded, and both have TCPA style hardware; which means - no you can't change the OS. Even if you did this would void the warrently, which is just plainly stupid.

The Phantom comes with a Broadband subscription as part and parcel of the package; which is upto 10Mbit but i'm not entirely sure what thier basic broadband subscription package is.
(if it is 10Mbit for only $9.99/month that is far more than worth it! the only downside being the Phantom has no external drives, only a Hard Disk)

In terms of consoles, the PS3 isn't becomming any more multimedia based; basically because of what the European courts judged for the PS2... Sony have decided that the Satillite Reciever, Web-Browsing, etc, really won't give them any more income for adding it; so they're not going to now. Effectively the PS3 is now simply a more powerful PS2.
The GameCube Advance also happens to be just a more powerful version of it's predecessor; (same case as well) So really the PS3 and GCA are going to be the only 'true' games consoles on the market.

Xenon (X-Box2), Phantom, Apex & NVIDIA MultiMedia Center are all going for multimedia capabilities running on Windows Embedded/Media Center.
Basically whatever your PC does, they do, after a fashion.

Considering these x86 based machines really don't stand up against the power of the other 2 consoles; they are going to be left sorely behind in technology terms and pure raw power terms.

the only thing that sets the Xenon apart from the other x86 based consoles is really the fact it is using a proprioty format XBE, which is just different enough from Win32 to make it incompatible.

as almost everyone has a DVD player anyways; that old selling feature, really doesn't stand up with these new consoles.
i mean sure it's a nice feature, but i mean you can buy a GameCube + a Std DVD Player for less than a PS2 or X-Box... which means you can use both at the same time if you want.

i mean i doubt many people are going to be impressed featurewise this time, and consoles really are going to start going back to pure gaming machines (like the damn well should be in the first place!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:32:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:32:28