Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / router

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 20:10 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2004 20:12
'my friend' is behind a router but still wants to play counterstrike (host a server). But he doesn't know what his IP is, ofcourse www.whatsmyip.org tells you the IP number of his router, but internaly (after the router) the IP is like 198.187.0.1 or something like that.

What's his real IP? I mean his full IP so 'he' (lol) can host games too!

thanks in advance, Jurgen

ps you are able to get the IP number of the googleserver: type in the search field "whatsmyip" LOL

"Only when all the seas are poisened, only when all the trees have been cut only when all the animals are killed, people will understand that money can't be eaten..."
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 20:36
if i understand right, the ip that myip.org or whatnot returns is the ip that other computers will connect too :p

i think

anyone sick of this image yet?
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 20:44
whatsmyip and any other site gives you ip address 'currently' allocated to your connection to your ISP. This can change over a period of time, specially if you disconnect and reconnect to the net.

Websites can not know your internal LAN ip address which is usually 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x

These are the special 'private' ip addresses you can safely use on your own computers and what DHCP servers dish out.

You also need to play with port forwarding on your router to get games to work properly but I have no knowledge how to do this.

Once you open up incoming traffic to your LAN you are very likely going to be target of attack for viruses and such like.

So be VERY careful what you do!

Boo!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 20:58
Im running my net connection on a wireless router. Go to run on the start menu in Windows and type ipconfig. That lists the ip addresses (I think). Its a while since I messed with this and as its been running Ok, its best to leave settings alone. Port forwarding is important because your router can block certain game servers if not correctly configured. Since I dont use mine for gaming I cant really help, but I do know that your port settings are configured in the routers internal settings (you should be able to access router settings by typing the routers ip into a browser). Many routers have premade lists od settings for popular servers built in, meaning if yours is there you only need to select it from the list. If its not there, however, youll probably have to search around the internet for help configuring it to the correct settings.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 01:05
I play TFC thru my router with no special settings. If Counter Strike needs anything just set the tcp/udp port number on the router to point (forward) traffic on that port to the internal NAT address of his machine. He can get his internal ip by opening a cmd window and typing IPCONFIG /ALL

it will show all of your ip info but your internal address is listed as IP Address (usually 192.168.1.100+ and the router itself is usually 192.168.1.1)

when you forward the port make sure you select TCP and UDP traffic and just put in the correct game port number (like 27005 or whatever) and his local IP and save the settings

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 05:40 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2004 05:40
I use linksys router, and it has a nice little port forwarding thing. So I don't have problems with this if/when I want to host a game. But no help for you... Just thought I'd post....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:24:08