Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Are there any greek speaking developers around?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 20:14
Hi and Geia hara,

I was wondering, does it worth having a greek speaking Dark Basic related thread?

If anyone want's to write from now on in Greek be my guest, i hope they wont lock this thread out!

-------------------------------
Pointy birds, Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head, Anointy 'nointy
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2004 21:07
Γειά σου Ï?ε φίλε! Εγώ μένω στην ΚÏ?Ï€Ï?ο(είμαι κÏ?Ï€Ï?ιος)

I gots to go.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 01:08
yasou, ti kanis

pousto, glifti!

LOL that's all I know except for some more curse words

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 16:59
Γεια και χαÏ?α Φιλε,

Εχει πλακα και ο αλλος με τα greeklish.

Πως πανε τα Ï€Ï?άματα στην ΚυπÏ?ο? Είμουν εκει Ï€Ï?ιν κανα 10μηνο, στην αγιαναπα και Ï„Ï?υγυÏ?ο, μεχÏ?ι ομοδο, παφο και λεμεσο.

Πόσο καιÏ?ÏŒ χÏ?ησιμοποιείς την Σκοτεινή Βασική; (καλή μετάφÏ?αση...

=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 17:00
Thats all the greek you'll need to know to get in trouble in Greece, Cattle Ruster!

Not bad!

=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 17:01
Lemeso? asxeto, Nikosia eixa paei!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 17:36
I know some Latin, does that count? It should, since there's tons of languages derived from it. So technically, I speak many laguages!

"eureka" - Archimedes
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 18:03
Γειά σου =C=,το DBPro το χÏ?ησιμοποιώ εδώ και καιÏ?ÏŒ.ΠήÏ?α το DarkBASIC μόλις βγήκε,το 99 αν θυμάμαι καλά,και από τότε ασχολοÏ?μαι(μετά πήÏ?α το DarkBASIC Professional).Θα ήθελα να μάθω και άλλες γλώσσες,σÏ?ντομα θα Ï€Ï?οσπαθήσω να φτιάξω κανένα .DLL και μετά κανένα παιχνίδι για κινητά με symbian πάνω.
ΕσÏ? τί γλώσσες ξέÏ?εις;
Εν τω μεταξÏ? αυτές τις ημέÏ?ες έχω εξετάσεις
Αλλά το καλοκαίÏ?ι μάλλον θα μείνω εδώ στην ΚÏ?Ï€Ï?ο και θα πάÏ?ω κάμποσους φίλους μου στο σπίτι/εξοχικό στην Αγία Î?άπα που έχει ένας φίλος μου.

I gots to go.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 20:54
There doesn't seem much point really IMHO.

English is the 'main' language spoken here and since you speak it yourself - why not stick to it?

If you need help - you won't get any if you write in a language that alienates most of the community.

We are a friendly lot and will help anyone that needs it but in order to get help you will need to ask in English - sorry

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 12:52
I guess they feel special speaking their own language. It's like down here in Aussie-land, our nation's language is English but we're populated by Asians and all they speak is Chinese or whatever language it is.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 00:35
First an unecessary answer, got to be said:

What's that all about feeling special talking Greek?
It's about as special as you feel speaking English mate! it's what you say not in what language you say it. I agree with the point on why bother speaking greek to English speaking forums if you want a reply that is but...

I won't start a debate irrelevent to this forum. You can speak Klingon as far as I'm concerned, I won't feel thretened or any other 'special' way regardles the language's been spoken around me.

I started this thread to see the interest and the audience of Greek speaking folk. What you're doing in this thread is stating the obvious starting a debate about nothing that will benefit this forum.

Obviously non Greek speaking people wouldn't see much point in this thread. As Non english speaking people to the rest of the site.

John Darkeye: Ta ellhnika den pernane san grammatoseira apo to forum auto, an thes sthle to mhnhma sou xana sto latiniko alfavito.

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 04:55
Quote: "get help you will need to ask in English - sorry"
Acctually there's a lot of french people here. VIVE LA FRANCE(ET LE QUEBEC(libre))!!!

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 05:13
Quote: "Acctually there's a lot of french people here. VIVE LA FRANCE(ET LE QUEBEC(libre))!!!"

lol, that's true, but i don't know if we can be considered "a lot" though

Team EOD : Programmer :: 3D artist
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 05:25
Well, three's a crowd.

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 06:02 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 14:21
[EDITED]

- Mind the gap -
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 06:13
Quote: "You can speak Klingon as far as I'm concerned"

Kll'inghann 'hh e Ferengi enveinniht hveolhaonn raed'aeusnnta'jhiy Rihanha

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 06:14
Bloody Hell thats abit confusing

Create or Play? You choose!
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 06:37
I know a little klingon, mostly swears, and Tratnan. What's toddshack again.

Skier Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2004 08:19 Edited at: 7th Jul 2004 08:21
Yahz... I can speak geek. Look at this:

506360 + 535638603 - 3535 + 523 X 42356 + 5¹ - 63x5 x 6363535476276376346346437465847542579245692465924659326597325934728953729856256295 = ?

Bet NO ONE can figure it out I mean without a calculator. Besides, most calculators cant calulate that many numbers : / You could break it down though (the 6363535476276376346346437465847542579245692465924659326597325934728953729856256295 part) but that would be hard!

Oops!!! Thought u said geek, not greek!!! LOL! my bad : /
No wonder i was thinking this whole time "y are people speaking different languages?" when reading the other posts.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 17:29
That isn't Geek because some of the values are not excerpts from Pi.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2004 17:36
Quote: "What's that all about feeling special talking Greek?
It's about as special as you feel speaking English mate! it's what you say not in what language you say it. I agree with the point on why bother speaking greek to English speaking forums if you want a reply that is but...

I won't start a debate irrelevent to this forum. You can speak Klingon as far as I'm concerned, I won't feel thretened or any other 'special' way regardles the language's been spoken around me."

Ummm, so why are you even speaking Greek then? You didn't give an answer at all, you simply said it doesn't matter what language you speak in and you personally don't care but you still won't answer. We weren't starting a debate, we were just asking a simple question and I'd still like to know the answer, please.

=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 20:06
You made me scroll all the way up there to find your question.

There wasn't one, you just made a remark regarding people in your country speaking their native language to make them feel special.
Your remark was in reply to a post that informed us that this is an English speaking site.

Quote: "
English is the 'main' language spoken here and since you speak it yourself - why not stick to it?
"

Chill out man, nobody made the suggestion to switch to Greek!

Man, it will take you 5 to 10 years to learn Greek and the whole point is to learn a bit of darkbasic here! The topic is labeled clearly enough, I admit it is not targeted to 100% of DB developers but it is very specific... Any Greek Speaking developers out there?

I would be very worried if this triggers the reaction to come and remind us that this is an english speaking forum.

If your question is why my interest in finding Greek speaking people then the answer is easy. I was curious to find out, I didn't really want to feel special about it, honest...

The Question is, What are you doing in this topic? If you can answer this question, please.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 20:24
I find it odd that the one thing you quote in your post is the actual question we're referring to, the one you said you couldn't find. Yet, even after quoting it, you still haven't answered the question. Hell, I'll even state it again:

You say you don't care what language you speak in, "it's what you say that matters". So why don't you speak in English so the rest of us can understand?

Quote: "The Question is, What are you doing in this topic? If you can answer this question, please."

I read as many topics as I can and although one thread may have a certain title, it's not uncommon for posts to go off topic and valuable information can usually be gained by reading them. I see no reason why I'm not allowed to view this thread, I was also curious how many Greek developers were here.

By speaking Greek you exclude 99.99% of the forum, in which case you may as well just use MSN (both of your MSN addresses are below your posts). Even you seem to have thought there might have been a problem with speaking Greek here: "If anyone want's to write from now on in Greek be my guest, i hope they wont lock this thread out!". The point I'm trying to get at is that althought you can speak another language, it's of no benefit to the rest of the community.

NathanF
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are there any greek speaking developers around?"
=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 22:57
I could reply to you in Greek and you wouldn't have a clue what I wrote. We both agree with this.

But look at the title of this topic! What do I try to achieve? Which people am I refering to? Why is it a complete waste of time to worry about 3-4 greek messages in this particular thread?

I am sorry you feel excluded from a Greek discussion in a topic that is pretty much titled: Greek speaking people here!

The whole point of this topic is to see how many greeks can be found in a poppular forum. Idealy a good enough crowd to meet for a cup of coffee in London or something alike .

The lecture about the usefulness of the English language was completely unecessary and the comment about people feeling special speaking their own language was a bit off IMHO.

You are more than welcome to this thread, if you see a reason to be here! Who am I to exclude you! I have no moderator authority here. I was just curious, that's why i asked, not to exclude you.

Thank's for the suggestion of alternative ways of communication!

And Yes you more than proved the point that threads do tend to go off topic in many cases. But the way I see it, this is the slow death of a topic. It's one thing to be organic and grow the way a forum can grow and another to sidetrack the thread with comments that are off topic.

I tried to chop this from it's root but I failed (Oh no!), I think any more debate on the subject is frankly a waste of time.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:01 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 23:05
Quote: "Who am I to exclude you! I have no moderator authority here."

Exactly my point, which brings me back to the original question though.

Which you still haven't answered btw, "Why do you speak in Greek when it clearly excludes so many other people?"

=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:08
Because I speak to Greek people in a Greek oriented topic.

Hey look, the answer! in one line! like your question!

I find in life it is very difficult to state the obvious to certain people! Next time you go to the dentist, ask him, Why does he only fix teeth!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:16 Edited at: 13th Jul 2004 23:16
Oh, so you're just plain selfish? That's what I thought.

=C=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:25
HA HA HA! that was the most unexpected reply dude!

The whole Greece must be full of selfish people, going speaking greek to Greeks!

I don't want the whole forum to speak Greek on my behalf, no thanks! That's why I made this little topic in this small little part of the forum.

But since we are the only two people talking here, In English, I feel that I can not handle the Irony of it all...

Have you ever thought learning Greek?

It might be usefull in forums like this! Full of Greek Speaking Threads! Oh My! The waste of it all, imagine how many good questions remain unanswered because we post in the web equivelent Tower of Babel!

All these french and Italian developers in the oblivion of darkness because they don't speak english!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2004 23:59
Personally i don't see what's wrong with it.
The topic clearly says for Greek speakers, what's the harm. It's not like he's speaking greek all over the site.

And recently someone has taken the advice of writing his post in English + Native... the native was much more understandable to me than a Bablefish translation.

The only gripe I would have with the greek is that Windows doesn't display it correctly using Greek (Windows) Encoding, which makes it harder to read.

The Lynx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 02:18
=C=..
Íáé, Ìéëþ ôá åëëçíéêÜ. Ôá ü÷é ðïëý êáëÜ åëëçíéêÜ åí ôïýôïéò. Ôé èÝëåôå íá ìéëÞóåôå ãéá;

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone here!

Oh no! Chrissy had used her powers to turn herself into a hideous man-eating giant!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2004 15:59
Quote: "The whole Greece must be full of selfish people, going speaking greek to Greeks! "

The difference is Greek is the native language there.

Quote: "Have you ever thought learning Greek?"

Yes, but unfortunately I don't have the time. Like you said, it will take me 5 - 10 years. Which is why I've learned other languages like Indonesian and French.

Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi I think Exeat is a complete idiot and Greece Guy is good!

At first a thought my site should be called Programmers U.N. , then in 2002 I watched t.v. A lesson learned. European leaders like to Fugg the U.S. This does apply to countries that help us.
Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2004 08:11 Edited at: 20th Aug 2004 08:12
Why did u bump this thread?

This sig has been dullified!
Programmer EXtreme2
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont know just trying to revive chaos. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

At first a thought my site should be called Programmers U.N. , then in 2002 I watched t.v. A lesson learned. European leaders like to Fugg the U.S. This does apply to countries that help us.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 10:40:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 10:40:12