Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Models and Maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does Darkbasic come with a world editor and 3d model editor?
The web site is very well done as far as giving the over all functions of the software, but it does not show any pics or even give a idea of how you craft a world of your own.
The reason I ask these questions is because I am trying to do some real research on what I should buy for my PC.

Also, when I looked at DB at my local store it did not have windows ME in the OS list. I know it has it on the web site, but I wanted to know if any has gotten the software from a store. It comes in a black box with monsters on it. In fact it looks like the Darkmatter box but sais DarkBasic on it. The OS list has 95/98/2000/XP on it. So if you have this package and are running ME without a hitch, let me know.

Thank you
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 15:39
With DB, you have to make your own models, with a program like milkshape, 20 bucks (US) www.milkshape3d.com its great, made for half life models, thats how good it is. Simple uses it, and so does act. and they are two of the best modellers here. Not to mention our modeller, who is also great

As for a world maker, it depends on if you want an outdoor style game, or indoors. For indoors, Id try the Cartography Shop, for outdoors, id go with MatEDIT (www.matedit.com)

Catch me on any of the instant messengers (below) for more info.

Hope this helps you,
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Wolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, Milkshape is a nice little program. I used the trial version.
But does this mean you have to download a bunch of third party software just to create a game?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 13:43
No. The thing DB is just bad at is models. When you get good, you can make a good matrix in DB without a matrix editor. MatEDIT just makes this easier. The needs are a model editor, the others, amenities they just make your life easier.

just to create a game?
Thats no small process. If you just want to make a pong program, with DB your all set. If you wanted to make an RPG, then ya, Id grab a modeller, and MatEDIT (to make life easier) and get to work. DB is a language compiler, not a modeller.

Contact me on aim, or msn, or yahoo by clicking the little buttons below.

Later
RPGamer

Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 13:53
um he's right ya know

Wolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
I know undertaking the task of creating a "good" game as no laughing matter. In fact I have done a little FPS in the past on other software. But the bigger issue was all the darn code that had to be written just to make a box rotate. Now with the DB compiler it is supposed to be much easier.
I guess really when you get down to it my most basic question is. Is DB worth the $$ when it comes to creating a game?

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 00:37
stop asking this....
you will never find such a versatile and comprehensive program until you are out of college and write custom shells in C professionally.

"But does this mean you have to download a bunch of third party software just to create a game?"
What kind of question is that? In the history of computing there hasn't been a modeling, programming, texturing, sound syncing, animating all in one package. It seems like you are looking for the easy way out, or dont really understand game programming.

Get the program man! Stop whining!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 00:56
Judging by ur questions u should try 3D Game Studio

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 05:10
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!

DB is worth every penny

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:27:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:27:08