Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / rpg battle ingine.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 20:50
hi its jacob and i need help on how to make a final fantasy 7 battle ingine although different commands and mega 3d.

jacob warren
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:13

jacob warren
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:15
oh god.

Not another one.

Amist the Blue Skies...
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:22
what the hell do you mean?

jacob warren
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:26
You'll die. ONE DAY YOU'LL DIE!! Come to think of it, we all will...

Projects in progress: Lerioonia, Crescent
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
STOP and think before replying to this...

If this guy is just another C.M.C. or Z, then he's just doing it to get a rise out of us. My advice - don't bother replying. Let this be the end of it.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:27 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2004 21:30
Well, if you want to make a battle-engine ... that's fine.
But you should write the plot first ... so you will know what skills are needed. The story should be at least 8 pages.
And it would be good if you started to draw the surroundings, the caracters, so the battle engine that would be created would fit to your game.
You should draw at least 5 images per caracter, front, back, etc ...
When you did that, you should draw the clothes you want (some pictures of it ... not only one)
Then draw the weapons

When you did all that, then you'll be ready to begin coding, not before ... and if you did, I'll be glad to help you.

- Mind the gap -
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:29
If you can't spell engine I'd say it's a damn good bet you can't make one

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 21:50
Quote: "what the hell do you mean?"

Let me explain something to you Gothkid, posting lots of silly questions is the quickest way to get people to hate you.

Normally, your question is not a "bad" one; but you provide us with NO INFOMATION on your game design (all you give us is "its like FF7 with different commands"). Even if we wanted to help you, we couldn't.

The less you tell us about what you need, the more annyoing it is to us, because we have to "read your mind" to find out what you want.

You really need to think through EXACTALLY what you want in your battle engine. Once you have done that, we might be able to help you.

Amist the Blue Skies...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 22:04
My suggestion would be to read some books on game design and screen writing so you know what is needed and how to format it. Toss in reading the rules to several pen and paper RPGs so that you have an understanding of character creation and game mechanics.

The more prep work that you do, the fewer design and programming mistakes you will make.

Also, take the time to learn something of this forum's culture. It will give your postins more acceptance and greater success when you post in the proper area.
--
TAZ

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 22:16
although i'm getting peeved at seeing newbie posts like this;
i'm also getting far more peeved at the attitude toward said newbies... rather than barrating them, perhaps people could actually explain to them what they're doing wrong and how they can properly go about using the forum to help themselves!

now although the 101 is very suspect in your name; going to give you the benifit of the doubt here.
if you are an older user who has been banned then make sure you behave yourself, if not;

newbies should stick to the Newbie Forum located in the 'DarkBasic' group above this forum, rather than the general forum which is really more for more general topics.

no one will code your game for your, let me make this crystal clear because alot of newbies don't seem to fully understand this.
DarkBASIC/Enhanced/Professional is to allow you to create your own computer games, not to give you an excuse to get others to.

Start by creating a basic version of what you actually wish to end up with; in this case you want a Role Playing Game (Japanese Style), so the first thing to do is figure out what you need to create it.
Forget about making your game 'identical' Final Fantasy, as really that is silly for a newbie to consider.
Try instead to make it 'like' Final Fantasy.

Battle Systems are not the simplest of things to begin with considering there are so many things you have to process at once, which makes it difficult to keep track of and learning to use the language.

Begin with the basics of this though;
Attack, Magic ... 2 simple attacks.
Final Fantasies battle system works in real-time (only when performing a move and/or using the wait system whilst browing the item/magic menus does gameplay stop), so you have to keep this in mind when calculating your characters recharge bar.
The more powerful the move, the longer it takes for the bar to recharge, so again this has to be thought about.

Next you also need to deal with the statistics of a player...
STR - Strength
DEF - Defense
MAG - Magic
SPD - Speed

Those are the main 4 really.
They should be tied directly into your level, and one of the hardest parts of making an RPG is figuring out exactly how much each monster or player is affected per level; (this is so you can use the same monsters later at higher level)
You also have to determine how many points it takes to level up, and how many you gain from given monsters... another headache waiting to happen.

(even with as few stats as possible this is v-e-r-y time consuming!)

Next you have to figure out how the weapon's STR and the players STR react with each other to = Hit Points
while also figuring out how the monsters DEF and weapons DEF (for Physical) or monsters MAG (for magic) affect negating those hit points.

Then of course there is also sorting out the HP (Hit Point) and MP (Magic Point) stuff.
And if you want it similar to FF you also need to have a Limit Break Point Meter to fill from physical attacks.

Which is another thing that needs to beable to be determined during the battle, if the attack is Physical or Magical. (once this is done later you add items)

Really before you even start coding there is alot you have to get down on paper and sort out.

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 23:29
Quote: "DarkBASIC/Enhanced/Professional is to allow you to create your own computer games, not to give you an excuse to get others to.
"

that's worth a quote... i can imagine seeing this on dbp's box in bold capital letters,lol

Team EOD : Programmer :: 3D artist
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2004 23:45
I'll build you an ingine, pardner, then we can rope'im up and git his land!
Dirty ingines...

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 19:32
LMFAO

Amist the Blue Skies...
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 05:53
Jimmy you scare me.

jacob warren
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 05:55
Raven i've wrote the whole game out.

jacob warren
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 06:28
But have you written it in CODE?

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
gothboy 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 21:57
nope

jacob warren
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 23:28
:: sighs ::

well first thing i'll say here is,...

Quote: "i've wrote the whole game out."

That line is impossible unless you game is already finished and ready for download.
When you develop an RPG your not developing something like a platformer where you have set rules for everything; everything about an rpg is about growth, from your development point of view and from the game players point of view.

The key to creating ANY game, is to start with a basic framework based on an idea.

FPS - Mouselook, Collision and Weapon Basics
Platformer - Movement and Collision Basics
RPG - World Design, Battle and Stats Basics

no matter what your working on, what you need to do once you have an idea is plan out and program up the most BASIC form of the type of game you are going for.

from this plateu you can then fine tune it's framework to then move on to incorporate something of your games design; finally move onto working on the story and getting that done on a basic level.

basically what your doing is working in stages

Stage 1) Basic Engine
Stage 2) Game Elements
Stage 3) Story Elements
Stage 4) Content
Stage 5) Optimising and Finalising

Each stage you basically start at the begining of your engine again and add to it... this is far far easier (and quicker!) to develop in small bites rather than trying to develop a complex system from day 1.
you WILL overwhelm yourself, there are not two ways about that.

Designing how your World and Battle systems play is the first step in an RPG;

Final Fantasy 7 uses Pre-Rendered Scenes with Static Cameras; Which means the scenes are built from cut up images and overlayn in a specific order then the 3D Character runs around on basically what is a clean background and collision is based on a black/white collision map.

Final Fantasy 10 however uses Full 3D Landscapes, but designed in such a way as to use a set Camera point so that you cannot fully explore them visually but the level designer determins what you can and cannot see.

Grandia 2/Extreme also uses Full 3D Landscapes but is designed so that you can fully explore it visually.

Final Fantasy 7-9 have '3d world maps' in order to get around the world, FF10 and G2 don't have this they use preset location maps and interconnected world parts.

Designing this portion will determin some of the style of your game and development style so it is best to choose what you feel is best; this takes alot of doing on it's own.

When you move onto designing you battle system, again you have to think about the basic style;
Final Fantasy has Limit Breaks / Trance / Overdrives which are Physical based specials ... upto you if you have them or not; and more importantly how they're filled as 'Trance' in FF9 is filled by Magical attacks as well but fills slower.

Next thing to decide is will magic use MP or will it be like FF8 where it is drawn from enemies?

Will your timer be...
real-time like FF7-9;
turn-based like FF10;
timer based + reaction time like Grandia;

Will you battles be standards
|This Side| vs |This Side| like in Final Fantasy?
or will it be
Movement Based 3D Area like Grandia?

It takes one hell of alot of planning not just in story but general design and advanced features which often need to be designed and planned seperate; especially once you've coded them up.

Even something as simple as ... 3D in a 2D world or 2D in a 3D world or even 3D in a 3D world or 2D in a 2D world?
Can be a tough decision.

If you've ever played FF Tactics you'll also know you could even have a Chess Style battle system; which totally changes the standard battling style.

RPGs really are not the easiest of games to create; especially not in Final Fantasy style or on you own. So try to think hard about what your going to do and start by creating a basic engine;
Don't sit there and moan about how you can't model or anything like that, a test engine should always use cubes and planes to represent things - partly for speed, but also so you can clearly see what is going on (provided you colour them different colours ).

Look at what DarkBASIC Pro offers you in terms of tools at your disposal to help;

Arrays, Types, For...Next, Select...Case and If ; those are basically your weapons of war for designing and you should go over how they work; Make sure you understand them and dev the game accordingly.

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 23:54
So would you say its pretty important to consistently backup your data when developing a large project? or just through caution to the wind?
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 00:13
@gothboy: jimmy scares me too

newbs are never going to get it right straight away, even with guidance

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 00:24
Quote: "newbs are never going to get it right straight away, even with guidance"

yeah, even after 3years there are some member's i'd still consider newbies in those terms

Quote: "So would you say its pretty important to consistently backup your data when developing a large project? or just through caution to the wind? "

Typically a large project you'd keep a backup at each milestone build. A milestone build is when you have the program running after adding something new; by this i don't mean you add a new weapon into an FPS, but when you finish say the entire weapon scripter.
So every week or so is generally when you make a milestone

i tend to keep a daily backup + milestone backup;
it isn't as easy to do as with MSVC++ because there is no SafeSource or CVS, which means it is a bit annoying to keep backing things up.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The 101 is more than just a bit suspect. I don't know why you bother.

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 02:27
Quote: "i tend to keep a daily backup + milestone backup;"

so what went wrong with 'E3 Friday'?
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 03:08
Quote: "
so what went wrong with 'E3 Friday'?"