Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Death is impending whether you like it or not

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:14
Sorry about the subject line, but sooner or later, it will happen.

Here's my scenario:

I write music and work on programming games. I keep extensive archives of my emails backed up and password protected with file attachments etc. I own close to 10 domain names that I have to update at least once a year. I keep a journal on my computer that I update every so often. What happens to all this when I die?

This is a very serious question. How can we give our passwords to our loved ones *after* we die but not before? I have lots of code protected on my hard drives and many finished songs that I've never shown anyone before. Problem is, a lot of it is too personal to show anyone right now. I wouldn't want to give my email passwords to my fiance now because there's a chance that my security could be compromised. If somehow that password came out, someone else could access my email, journals, etc.

Anyone here have a good solution? I was thinking of getting one of those 64MB USB keychains with all my passwords and encryption keys, and information on how to keep my domains running etc., and letting my fiance know. If I died, she will know to take it and where to find the goods. But what if my keychain is lost or stolen? Should I have *that* information encrypted with a password being something my fiance will know now? (e.g. engagement date)

Also, would the government be able to claim access to anything on my computer after I die? This is heavy stuff.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:22
I dunno man, after your dead I think those things will be the last things on your mind

----

http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:29
Encrypt it, write it to CD, and leave the password in your will. Easy

... Although hopefully, you'll stick around for a while

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Dr Crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well sometime in our lives its important we write wills. Wills are like an ever lasting memory of you or like a present to say goodbye. You know when you give presents to someone who's given birth? Well it's like that. Ok well if you really care about your work this is what you gotta do:
1. Write a will saying WHERE your passwords and codes are

2. Keep the passwords etc. on a disk protected in a foam case (to avoid sratches) then place in a parcel. Then, make some copies and then send them to a safe and explain that your girl can only get the disks from the safe when your dead ( ).

Who dares; wins.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:32 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 00:33
write a little countdown program that takes about 80-currentAge years to finish and shows your pass at the end

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:34 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 00:35
<edit>

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:35
Quote: "after your dead I think those things will be the last things on your mind"

Yeah, the anvil that fell on your head would come first.

But seriously, how important is that stuff? Domain names? Music on your computer? Journals? If you think that's what makes you a person to remember, then either you don't know yourself, or you're a boring old fart! If those things aren't important to anyone else when you die, then they shouldnt be important to you. I have domains, I have music and if I die, they can disappear with me. I think how people remember me as a person is far more important than a few songs, or personal notes.

Just my opinion.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:36 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 00:44
Quote: " Encrypt it, write it to CD, and leave the password in your will. Easy"

Dumb question, but where would you leave your will where there's no prying eyes? In a safe?

I think another good way to do this is to have a webserver with a Linux cron job or something that will execute after a set amount of time, i.e. every week. If you don't respond to it, it'll reveal your password to your loved ones via email or a text file. Know what I mean?

EDIT:

Quote: "But seriously, how important is that stuff? Domain names? Music on your computer? Journals? "

Very good question! The reason my music is so important to me is that that is a piece of me that my family can remember me by. I think it would be very unfortunate if, when a painter died, all his art disappeared to never show up again. I'm not saying my music is quality enough to have monetary value, but if it were, it would be important for my family to benefit after my passing.

I know that there's so much more that makes a person than boring old domain names and personal journals. But here's a question, what if, for example, those domain names are earning a modest amount of income? I would definitely want that passed over to my wife/kids etc. Also, if a close family member passed away, I would be very interested in preserving their journal with their permission to show future grandkids as a keepsake. Perhaps I'm too sentimental

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:44 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 00:44
<oops, double post>

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 00:44
Or you could create a program which you have to open once a week on your machine. If it isn't opened for a week (and is then opened after that week), then it will spurt out all your passwords. You could make it in PHP and MySQL too so you can access it on holiday etc., and encrypt your passwords in the MySQL database using MD5.

And then put a link to this URL (along with instructions of not to open it for a week) in your will lol.

That should be quite safe enough

Athlon XP 2500 - 768mb DDR400 - 120gb HDD with 8mb buffer - Lame Geforce FX 5200 128mb DDR
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:03
your Will stays with your lawyer or in a bank safe deposit box - when you die they'll notify your kin

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:31
On a side note, you could also use that Linux cron thingy to kill sensitive data when you die. If you have something that you don't want others to see, it would be reassuring to have some way for it to be destroyed if you don't respond to it every set interval. Could be useful for security software, bank data, or pr0n

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:37 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 01:37
Or you could just trust your wife (soon ) to keep them safe now

----

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:50
It's not that I don't trust my wife, it's just that for her to know the passwords they would have to be written down somewhere. That's my security issue. All my passwords are in my head.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 01:54 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 01:55
This is funny, because I've thought about it for a long time, particularly in the last few days. I think the answer is: Find a soulmate and trust him/her! You can always put the magic passwords in your (ever-changing) will, but you'd need someone to settle those little things that I think we all leave unfinished (unless we're given due warning of our death).

Though it might seem kinda stupid, I'd recommend leaving a list of snail mail and email addresses of people to be informed you had passed away . And if you ever organize something like that, remember to tell people you know that if they get an email saying you've died, it might be legit-- otherwise they'd just think it was a prank .

Edit-- And if you don't think you could keep all that stuff in a will, then rent a very high security storage facility for 100 years and keep all your uber-private passcodes and data in it. Give your soulmate the number & key and tell them to check it out when you pass away.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:12
Mouse are you sure you can trust THOSE legs??

----

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:21
Quote: "Give your soulmate the number & key and tell them to check it out when you pass away."

But then again, on the issue of security, even a soul-mate can misplace a key

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:25

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 02:40
jeku,

there just comes a point were you have to trust someone isn't going to fail.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 07:10
Why not release your stuff under GPL?

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 07:58
@Arkheii LOL

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 09:34
Quote: "Also, would the government be able to claim access to anything on my computer after I die? This is heavy stuff."

Yes, "As long as it's for the services of the government". However, that's such a broad statement that they can get away with basically anything.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 21:56
Quote: "there just comes a point were you have to trust someone isn't going to fail."

That's not really failing. Someone stealing something else doesn't always constitute failure on someone's behalf.

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 23:40
Quote: "That's not really failing. Someone stealing something else doesn't always constitute failure on someone's behalf."

It does if they were asked to keep it safe , for they have then failed in that duty.

As I sit in my darkened room whilst outside the sun is shining ,my Girlfriend is watching telly and the dog needs walked , I feel it is time to be hypocritical......
Life is more important than worrying about what if. It sounds like a cliche but live for the moment (I just realised that 'It sounds like a cliche but...' actually sounds like a cliche. Worrying about how people will remember you is no good if you are spending your life doing it and lets face it they too will die at some point so they wont be remembering you for long.
We live, we die, we get eaten by maggots and life goes on so make the most of your chance and quit worrying about domain names.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 00:53
@Jeku

Just to say, I see your point of view, on your response to my post a few days a go.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 01:30
Quote: "Life is more important than worrying about what if. It sounds like a cliche but live for the moment"

The problem with "live for the moment" is when I'm dead, anything that could benefit my family will be lost if I didn't take precautions.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 01:35
Get a saftey deposit Box if you are that worried.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 01:50
Quote: " Get a saftey deposit Box if you are that worried."

I don't think you understand what I'm getting at, but that's ok. Anyways, I've said all I wanted to say!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:33:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:33:10