Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / A in depth discussion about fate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Light travels on a wave like a surfer, that why it looks like a wave, and a particle, it actually is a wave and a particle! Light is actually two things being looked at as one thing. The wave is what you might call a train track, and the photon rides on it. Actually, all things ride on it, but on different tracks. Light has it's own track, which is a high speed Broadband lane. This lane can go past the limits of time. Atoms are also on a track, and their track is what you might call gravity. Gravity is not a pull from Earth, it is a push from space. It gets stronger near large objects because the large objects are trapping the train track like a finger on a guitar string. When you put your finger on a guitar string, you trap the vibrations, and stop them. If you could put beads on the guitar string they would be the atoms. the beads would travel towards your finger because they are travelling on the wave from its fastest point to its slowest. Science again is way off the track.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 21:45
Why does the particle change direction to take a wave like path?
What force is acting on it?
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It's riding a wave so it rides up, and down. Scientists see a blot on a piece of paper that looks like a wave. Imagine a bunch of surfers hitting a wall. They leave a bloodstain at different height on the wall depending on how high they were riding the wave.

Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 00:01
Wohoo im back. 'Fate' had me set up to move this weekend so I was away from my computer . Glad to see this topic is still alive. Not much new to add, but here goes...

Ive heard a lot of you talk about 50/50 choices. I think 50/50 in itself is flawed. Are there ever REALLY any 50/50 choices? I mean you could be standing infront of two doors, who says you have to go through either? Who says you cant sit there and sing a song? Now pick from 100 different songs to sing. Each 'choice' would have different results, thus its not anywhere near 50/50.

And Jimmy I think perhaps you are right about this theory requiring some kind of random 'trigger'. Big bang, God, whatever, im not really sure, havent given it much thought. But in anycase, this 'trigger', this one and only REAL choice was made long before any of us were born, so does it really matter now?

TheAbomb12 pretty much summed up how I feel. The part about not using this 'belief' as an "excuse" to give up is very important. Well said

"Pretty much; whats going to happen will happen. But of course thats no excuse to not do anything . But what ever you decide to do is your fate."

"My theory of fate relies of these facts:

1) Universe Created by a Prime Cause.
2) All Causes come after the prime cause
3) The Universe follows a set of Physical Law that produce the same results in a given event. (not true "randomness")"

- TheAbomb12

All you need is zeal
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ive heard a lot of you talk about 50/50 choices. I think 50/50 in itself is flawed. Are there ever REALLY any 50/50 choices? I mean you could be standing infront of two doors, who says you have to go through either? Who says you cant sit there and sing a song?"

If you sat there and sang a song it would not be a 50/50 decision would it. That would never have been a 50/50 decision. You would start with two doors, and a decision to sing a song. The decision to sing a song would always have been there because you were deliberately trying to alter fate. So sing = 70% Door1 = 15% Door2 = 15%.

50/50 decisions are mainly made by elements like light, and particles. Remembering that the subject is about particles effecting the future. I was trying to make you realise that particles make decisions, especially waves.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 02:50
Quote: "Who says anything is real, what if everything is an illusion, and the underlying reality is far beyond the grasp of human minds? The universe could be far far more complicated than we could even imagine, we will never know if we have discovered the whole truth."

And therin lies the beauty of the whole witches' cauldron.

The inability to pin anything done as fact means that people with far too much time on their hands can spend eternity arguing about religion, spirituality, and physics.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 02:53
But, since we and our ancestors for ages past have had 99%+ of our life correlate to these natural laws we are still defining and testing, it is not a fruitless pursuit to go on trying to explain the world around us. And if all that history is just an illusion, well, why not go with it? Whichever theory is true, we gain nothing by assuming we're living in a grand illusion .

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 18:55
If finding out about physics is pointless, then everything is pointless, we may as well just go and throw outselves off a cliff (although what would the point be in that?).

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 19:06
life is pointless, life has no point...

Lets go talk about it...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 19:18
Go ahead and mope about life being pointless, meanwhile I'm enjoying playing System Shock 2 and having a heck of a lot more fun than you are

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 19:46
I was j/k, hence the "Lets go talk about it".

Amist the Blue Skies...
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 19:53 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 19:56
i agree with what jimmy said awhile back...

we don't live our lives over again. we only have one life and we have the choice of whether to go to wendys or mcdonalds....

anyway....how in the world woud we be "reincarnated" and go through the exact same circumstances...it's pointless to speculate on something that could never happen

P.S. notice "theabomb12" uses the word "assuming" alot
P.P.S. i didn't read this entire thread BTW

P.P.P.S. life is not pointless...that's where god comes in.(BTW i don't want to start a big ant-religion vs "religion"(hate that term) flame )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah..That's where GOD comes in.......

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 20:53
I didn't say life was pointless, I said if physics is pointless then everything else it.

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 21:05
Dont get us wrong mouse, I love SS2 too. Scary as crap though. Scary because I didnt realise there was a second (and third?) ship docked above the first one, so twards the 'end' I blew all my nanites in the candy machines. I figured, well Shodan is gonna kill me as soon as I transfer her to the 'escape' ship, so might as well have some fun. Of course by the time I had figured out the game wasnt over I had alread overwriten all my 'pre screwup' save files. Now I have to make it through the rest of the game with only that metal wrench.

All you need is zeal
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:19
Quote: "life is not pointless...that's where god comes in"

Life's point is God?

Amist the Blue Skies...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:29
ABomb-> What's so bad about that? Even assuming he's wrong, tell me, is it better to have no goal and no life, or a false goal and a good life?

Zeal-> ... I'm playing a hacker right now, still on the Van Braun, but he's been putting a lot into weapons skills lately. I'm hoping he can make it through the Rickenbaker. Btw, if you ever play it again, make sure to get the texture enhancment and 'rebirth' additions, they make the game look *way* better .

Magellan-> Or to not go to a fast food resteraunt and cut days off your lifespan and instead eat healthy wholesome non-processed food and guarantee yourself a far longer life ... half-serious .

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 23:08
I meant life's point is God...

Instead of...
Life's point is procreating...
Life's point is experincing as much as possible...
Life's point is to love...
Life's point is be happy...
Life's point is to eat twinkies...

life's point being "God" is sort of arbituary to me.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:01
Well it's GOD (or some form of supreme being) or NOTHING. That choice is up to you

----
This is my Kung Fu and it is strong.
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well GOD could be more than 1 being as well.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:52
he could be a 3 being (bean) salad.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 02:38
A burrito if you will.

----
This is my Kung Fu and it is strong.
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 09:05
hmm... think I have already eaten him then.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Zeal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 23:29 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 23:30
Abomb ate God! Burn him!

"Mmmmm sacrilicious..."

All you need is zeal
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 23:58
He was nice and tasty.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
eugh... fate... i really dont understand how the concept was invented. seems plain ludicrus to me.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 00:52
It's a great plot device for stories .

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 01:13
I think that the traditional concept of "fate" where "Fate" is supposed to teach you a lesson (karma) is bogus. I don't think "fate" has any underlining meaning or metaphor at all- I think it just the way things are, nothing more.

My concept of fate is way better .

Amist the Blue Skies...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What's your concept of fate?

I don't believe in fate really either. Things are controlled by your own lifestyle. There may be a helpful hand at times, but I don't think that the helpful hand totally alters your life.

I believe that life is all about your position in death.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:31:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:31:51