Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Orange vs O2 vs T-Mobile

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 22:35
ello,

I've decided to buy a new mobile phone (horray, rid of my horrible old Sagem and Vodafone's extreme pricing).

I did actually order the O2 X2 from the O2 Online Shop. But now they're having all sorts of problems (doing my head in really), said they'd deliver it last wednesday and nothing came. So I e-mailed them and, three days later, I got an e-mail back saying it was out of stock. Nice of them to tell me lol. Anyway, I'm now thinking of cancelling the order before they dispatch.

I'm also now looking towards Motorola. Iv'e always liked Motorola phones (I actually wanted one of them in the beginning), and i'm thinking of a V500 (I think my brother's V300 is great, and there is little difference between the V300 and V500). Also, it's one of the small amount of companies that actually use their own brand processors in their phones lol. What can I say? I loved my Amiga.

Anyway, back on topic, what is the best network? (for pay as you go). Iv'e had a couple of people saying T-Mobile sucks to the extreme. Iv'e also been told O2 is the best network. And for Orange I don't have a clue

I was oringally thinking video mobile (extremely cool for those long bus rides home from work), but then I went on the Three website and saw there prices

Anyway, what would you guys recommened?

Athlon XP 2500 - 768mb DDR400 - 120gb HDD with 8mb buffer - Lame Geforce FX 5200 128mb DDR
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 22:40
I've got orange. Some phones that come with an orange network are cheaper than those on different networks. This is due to some kind of deal orange do with the phone makers, but it means that your phone is locked to orange only, so you can't change networks without buying a new phone. It really depends what you want to do with your phone though, calls?/texts?/media messaging? then find the network which offers the cheaper rates for the one you want to use the most.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 22:45
i'm on T-Mobile, aside from the pay-as-you-go being expensive talk-wise... it isn't the most expensive; voice-mail is free and the contracts for it are actually not that far in price from a landline phone.

can't say i've really had many problems since getting used to the fact they're no longer one2one but can't say there is anything to really complain about;
service is good, free to talk to the operators, and the roaming capabilities are good, not to mention free international localzone swapping.

but as Red says, it all depends on what you need from your phone.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2004 23:35 Edited at: 4th Jun 2004 23:35
I wanted the V600 for about a year (kept being put back) but eventually didn't bother cos it was a bit big, and got the Samsung E700 instead. Wish I had the V600 instead. Samsung are a bit rubbish (and they won't provide a firmware upgrade to fix annoying bugs). Looks nice though.

Oh yeah, and notice how US films/ shows use Motorola phones like 99%?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 00:26
My ex has a V600, her dad bought it for her, its nearly £300 worth of phone Tis bloody nice

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 01:38
I sold my old T-Mobile Blackberry phone for a £150 odd, which isn't too shabby - got fed up with a monthly payment, so I'm on pay-as-you-go (NEC e303) with 3.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 04:09
I'm on Orange.. best reception around here (which, being the middle of a city wouldn't be a problem for the other networks.. but it is).

They also do free cinema tickets on wednesdays

Now if only there was something on worth watching...

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 15:32
OK Thanks for your advice.

I'm more than likely going to go with Orange, and i'll get the V500 (£130), and the bluetooth will come in handy

Lets hope i'm more successful with the Orange online shop...

Athlon XP 2500 - 768mb DDR400 - 120gb HDD with 8mb buffer - Lame Geforce FX 5200 128mb DDR
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 15:36
Orange offer some very nice 'phones' for geeky types, such as the Handspring Treo 600 if you're willing to get a contract. Coverage quality really depends on where you are, most providers have pages on their site showing coverage.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 00:28 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 00:29
Don't care. Really, it all depends on what you like. Okay? Okay!

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 15:52
Quote: "Don't care. Really, it all depends on what you like. Okay? Okay!"

Unlike your threads, this thread holds some merit. It draws in opinions from other people to create a new helpful source of information. Your threads on the other hand, are totally pointless. You seem hellbent on cluttering this forum with crap.

Quote: "They also do free cinema tickets on wednesdays"

What? What? Where? I've been with orange for about 4 years now so that means I'm due about 200 tickets

Floats like a butterfly, stings like when I pee
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 10:57
funny different all that is out there.
Here in Finland the phones aren't anyway locked to any Service Provider, and we don't get any discounts on phones if we change our service provider. But then again, we get just about everything else... cd players, backpacks and so on...

on the pay-as-you-go services, how much does it cost per minute?

| Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue. |

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:33:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:33:33