Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What Kind of Math Should I be aquainted with in Programming in DBPRO??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 14:30
Hello, ALL

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me all the types of maths that I would need to know while programming in DBPRO?
I Appreciate Any Feedback on this subject..

Thank You!!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2004 17:40 Edited at: 5th Jun 2004 17:41
IMO algebra and 5th year basic math (trig etc), my math knowledge is poor but if you know algebra and use some common sense then you can convert any equations etc you need to basic easily enough, the only thing I lack is a knowledge of these dot product vector thingys (that didn`t get taught back in 1976/77 when I left school) that should make the 3d math easier (or so I understand) , but I just use the old vector math system or 3d co-ordinates and they seem to provide the results I want, you don`t NEED new math to do the job, just some of the functions would make things easier (or so I understand), then again I never had a problem so complicated I felt obliged to take the time to learn the "new math" system.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 05:43
well from what i know (and depending on what your doing) some basic understandins of geometry for 3d as well as 2d is probably nessasary, if your going for a 3rd/1st person shoot-em-up with complicated, non square levels your probably best off with an advanced understanding of geometry, trig, and maby even a bit of calculus if your that serious. But if your going to be cheep and do 3d with NG's DLL then you would probably still only need basic geometry.

Cheers,
CPU

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.

I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 07:13
algebra
geometry
trig
analytical geometry

"eureka" - Archimedes
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 09:48
on the note of maths is there any commands wich you think should be added to dbpro for maths

Im not a rubbish programmer...Everyone else is just better than me....
If we were supposed to sing we would look like Kylie...
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 11:30 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 11:31
log
n!
ln

and mod, but Ive got a function for it though

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 13:39
mod is already in dbp!

Looks odd I know, but it works. mod isn't even highlighted as a command.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 13:59
yes, but i mean in classic

l = 5 mod 3
text 5,5,str$(l)

unrecognised parameter

SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 14:17
I'd also like to add the idea of Applied Mathematics as well, and some General Physics of ballistics, gravitation, and so on. Applied Math is good for doing structure analysis and such, depending on where your interests lie. And of course ballistics and gravity are good for general gaming with projectiles and moving vessels.

As for additions to DB itself, have no suggestions not made already...

S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 21:32
i will give that consideration. i might be able to realese it as a dll which does certain aspects of realistic gameplay. (if i can do i in DBpro i can do it in c++ using a special technique )

Im not a rubbish programmer...Everyone else is just better than me....
If we were supposed to sing we would look like Kylie...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:30:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:30:08