Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dark Basic noob with 3D modeling experience needs some advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am considering buying Dark Basic pro but i am wondering about some things......

Does the DBP 3D engine support multiple levels of detail as well as animation bones?

I see that the far clip is adjustable up to 5000 units.......which sounds promising to me.......but would be useless if you couldnt incorporate multiple detail level models to help keep frame rates high.

Can this game engine handle verry large polygon count terrain models without major frame rate problembs?

Can anyone here give me a success story or a reason why this software will help me build the games that i want to build?

Here is a list of the game editing and authoring tools i use or at least have.

Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 introductory edition(with compiler)
Discreet Gmax v1.2
Paintshop pro v7.02
3D Exploration v1.81
Unwrap 3D
Commando editor(C&C Renegade level editor)
XCC Utilities(westwood game archive file reader/writer and much more)
Exact Audio Copy (audio file editor/mp3 encoder/decoder)

I have two years experience with gmax and almost four years of game editing experience.

3D modeler for C&C Source
www.cnc-source.com
sgtmay
Years of Service
User Offline
here's some examples of my 3D modeling

Nod banshee

GDI Orca bomber

Nod Tick Tank

GDI Hover MRLS

I have some others but these are some of my best examples.

www.cnc-source.com
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 14:31
Download the 30 day trial version and see if it does what you need it to do

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
sgtmay
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the DBP 3D engine support multiple levels of detail as well as animation bones?

www.cnc-source.com
Mizipzor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 22:05
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/

There is DBP's features stated, can you make anything out of that? Otherwise I dont know... I tried at least .

Good Luck
Mizi

Dreaming of creating a highly advanced AI mind
sgtmay
Years of Service
User Offline
I already browsed the pages and all i came up with so far was this....

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=features

They stated that these werent all the features included...just a condensed version.

This one feature is going to be the selling point for me........if i cant use multiple detail level models then it's going to be less than what i am looking for to develop my first game.

I'm not going to sink $200.00 U.S. or more into this software line if the software is not going to allow me to do the necessary processes involved with making professional looking terrain and models for a 3D gaming environment.

Can someone point me to a page that lists all of DB Pro's features and hardware support?

Or at least tell me whether i'm barking up the wrong tree here???

Thanks in advance.....

www.cnc-source.com
sgtmay
Years of Service
User Offline
I comprehend what is listed in the features page and understand the workings of most of the features listed in that page.

I'm a video game buff that has been around long enough to remember playing the old pong consoles when they were starting to go out of style.

I've still got my Atari 2600 and the 60 or so games i bought for it by mowing lawns when i was in grade school.......and i still laugh when people call the original nintendo "old school".

I've got a few years programming experience too......but my programming experience is from when i had a commodore Vic 20(pre-286 processor era) back in the early 80's(pet basic....was what they called it)

I can pick up on anything if i spend the time to learn it.......it's just whether i want to invest 8 months learning time into this software to get the results i am looking for.

I may be new to this software but i'm not new to game modifying,3D modeling,and text based coding......and that isnt too far away from how the game creating process works.

www.cnc-source.com
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 01:34
well yes of course different lod is possible, you just have to code it in yourself by checking the distance betwen the camera and the object and applying the appropreate lod,

and it isnt $200 last i checked it was about $70 if you wanna know the features just download the demo and go through the help files it shows you all the various commands to accomplish your task

sgtmay
Years of Service
User Offline
help files arent available in DBPro evaluation version......at least the examples arent......i looked through the help files last night and didnt see anything specificly about LOD's.

The 200 dollar price tag is for the package deal....and it was $238.44 for the Super Game Creator Pack and another $34.99 for the 3D game maker......if i'm gonna invest the $$$ i might as well get it all.

Thanks for the confirmation ......now i just have to get in touch with my financial backers and get the ball rolling

www.cnc-source.com
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 04:44
im sorry to take it off topic but...
@sgtmay: Those screenshots make it look like you are making a 3d remake of command and conquer, are you? If so, well thats just awsome!

When it comes to programing, I'm on fire!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:37:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:37:37