Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Need some help with marketing my new game (any suggestions welcome)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 20:21 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 20:22
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what the best way to get Hijacker: First Contact some exposure is. I submitted the demo to 20 download sites yesterday but other than that I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm not very good with marketing, and I wanted to know if you guys have any tips? Or any other good download sites I missed? Here's the list I submitted to (might be usefull for some other people):

*www.downloadoholic.com
*www.rocketdownload.com
*www.easycab.com
*www.download.com
*www.demo-files.com
*www.brothersoft.com
*www.soft14.com
*www.aFreeGo.com
*www.soft32.com
*www.worldssp.net
*www.filehungry.com
*www.filebasket.com
*www.softpile.com
*www.1000files.com
*www.grassheap.com
*www.gamespot.com
*www.gamespy.com
*www.tucows.com
*www.3ddownloads.com

[href]www.ShrikeSoftware.com[/href]

Free Demo: http://www.shrikesoftware.com/hijacker1.exe
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 20:26
submit it to as many sites as possible, including shareware sites. join newsgroups and message forums and include a little blurp in your sig. Unless you want to pay for adverts it's kinda gotta happen by word of mouth.

good luck

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 20:35
Sumbit it for review at gametunnel.com, the top reviews cost money. You can get it reviewed free, but upon doing so theres no guarantee that it will actually get reviewed, and it isnt as in depth. Look at the affiliate sites at the bottom of the homepage, theyre very similar and also offer review services.

Zenincanin 14
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 21:03
Woah! Downloads.com is alot of money to get your donwload on it!

Good Games Are Made by Powerful Coders
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2004 21:11
Myself, I would never want to buy a shareware game - in my mind I imagine them as cheap remakes of solitaire.

I'm your average customer, you need to think of ways to change my mind.

- Perhaps offer on your web site a flash movie with some footage from the game running in it?
- Perhaps getting it reviewed by a magazine?
- As suggested, join as many forums as you can andpromote, promote, promote
- Try and get in a newsletter like TGC's - a community such as this is a really lucrative market, look what happened with CShop and Josh Klint - loads of people have bought it because rather than just state "it's a mapper" he made lots of demos and showed how easy it is to import into DB.

Good luck

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 02:55 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 02:55
David T-> Hardly average, most people I talk to say they'll buy shareware if they like it.

Kain-> Get the demo everywhere you can, and if possible, try getting your site onto google and other search engines. Accidental hits (for hijacker or first contact or shrike software etc) are a gold mine. Good luck !

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 03:40
Kain there are 3 things which will bring in the punters;

1. Appearance (website and game)
2. Positive Reviews from Reviewers that matter
3. Fun Factor (play the demo and ask yourself, would you actually part with cash for it?)

The latter 2 aren't actually as important as the first one;
Graphics and Presentation literally make or break games...
Although the gameplay might suck, there is just so much emphasis placed on graphics that if there is actually gameplay as well - the game is considered a 'breath of fresh air'.

As this is being sold online; having a site which looks the part is really paramount. You want it to basically suck the players into your game before they've ever had a chance to play it; your trying to hype up the player to actually believe the game is more fun than it actually is (if it is actually awesome then, bonus).

As the aim of the game is to 'hi-jack' from ships then the site's logo should really show this... as it is based in space and on planets again the logo should show this;
Perhaps have the players ship, with a tractor beam on another ship dragging it along; the background could change from a space nebula, to a ground grassy hills look to an asteriod belt.
If you have the players ship as if it is comming towards the player kinda off to the left but angled toward the center slightly; so you see the ship being hi-jacked in the background.

Maybe add to the action appearance by having 2-3ships in the background firing towards the ship; each time the background changes they change to a different type but same position.

This will give people who visit the site a sense that the game is intense; which is what you want them to think, because 50 levels sounds great but this is basically R-Type and after a few levels you know what is going on and it'll only keep the short attention span people.

You want to also have other visual things happening across the site; a menu down the left-hand allowing you to set pages to the right actually has more appeal as it brings attention to the menu so people explore the site; but also you feel like there is a space specifically for the games information rather than it being simply presented to you.

Another thing is on the main page you want something moving; some sort of image that keeps peoples attention;
Flash is very good here, and it could focus on anything... for something like this you'd want a presentation flash with action screenshot with basic overviews of the features of the game.
However you'll want to play down any un-edited screenshots, not created for people to be wow-ed by as the graphics currently are a let down.

Another thing you'll want to do is rework the games graphics a little; rather than a simple snaking laser beam, make it so the laser beam glows and blurs as it wiggles towards the player.
The explosions are nice, but for this type of title you want Jerry Anderson style, multiple OTT explosions as if everything is full of nitrogliserin.

The ships engines should glow and show very visible flame effects; smoke effects too, hinder gameplay but add visually.
As it stands the game is technically good; but right now you need to up the steaks so that Mr. Armchair Gamer will look at it and go 'Woah! that looks intense'
Whether you like it or not games people buy will be compared to other PC and Console titles by high end developers; so the visual appearance really is the sale as far as they're conserned.

A demo for this kind of game should be a basic 3 level thing; enough to meet the first boss and get into the game, but not enough to get bored of it.
GamePlay trailers are a no-no; you want to hype the tension of it, so a game trailer consisting mainly of cut-scenes from the game is more what you want.

A story line for the game, no matter how flimsy but an excuse to add cut-scenes and characters that gamers will get attached to is also a nice twist which people will react to.

If you want game graphics wise, i'd be willing to help you out; try and help you add in that je ne c'est quoi

Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:52
Thanks for all the suggestions every, especialy Raven. I know the site needs to be redone to grab more attention. As it stands now I don't know any flash, but I could at least throw some animated GIFs up there to keep the attention. I'll take all that stuff into consideration.

[href]www.ShrikeSoftware.com[/href]

Free Demo: http://www.shrikesoftware.com/hijacker1.exe
Cookyzue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 05:59
garagegames.com might be useful.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Trailers, trailers, trailers.

People ADORE trailers. See, what you do is you give them really awesome screenshots of your game that draw them in(you know, get them to think "Hey, this looks pretty nifty."). You know, just enough to get them interested and think "Maybe I'll download the trailer." Then blow 'em away!

That's what I'm going to do if I ever decide to post the RPG that I'm helping with here -- I'm actually going to post a trailer.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2004 02:16
There are 1000's of download sites.. Almost all the new ones are PAD only. PAD is standard app dizzy format. Many site auto updat them, great for lazy software authors

Download PAD creator/upload sites & plenty of tips
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic - Next generation Basic coming Oct-2004 (V2.21 Out Now)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:30:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:30:27