Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / D-DAY: 1944

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 03:03
As some of you know, 60 years ago today on June 6,1944 thousands of allied soldiers from great britain, canada, and the USA paradroped into, and landed on the beaches of normandy france, in the larges invasion in modern history. This invasion marked the beginning of the end for Germanys war effort, as they were slowly pushed back to Berlin by the allies.
I have decided to attempt to create a game that will try and focuse on the more untold stories of the invasion. We all know about omaha beach, through movies such as saving private Ryan and MOHAA, but I plan to focuse on smaller battles that have gone untold. Omaha wasnt the only beach the allies landed on, I plan on showing the story of the British invasion of Juno beach, and also the american glyder sqaud that glyded into enemy lines. Hopefully I will actually complete this project.
Now for a little information about what I plan to have in the game...

1)several missions following American and British troops.

2)Realistic gameplay (one shot in the right place, and you dead)

3)Will cover the american paraglyders, and the British landing on Juno Beach.

4)challenging gameplay, and stradegy.

5)Realistic weapons.

6)And maybe even one or two squadmates that give you cover (not decided, programming squad AI scares me )

Just to show you that I have actually started this, I have a wip of a german soldier.

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 03:12
Sounds like a good project. From what I remember, the two American beaches were Omaha and Utah, the two British (both of which gained the most ground ) were Gold and Sword and the Canadian one was Juno.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 03:33 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 03:36
Maybe your right, darn I thought gold was the canadian beach. Maybe I am wrong, hey thats why I am watching the history channel right now , all they have had all day is D-Day material. And your usumption that the two british beaches gained the most ground is not entirely correct, the americans took utah beach with relative ease, omaha was so hard because, the american tanks sunk in the tide, leaving the men without tank support, the british beaches were drastically less stormy and most of their tanks came on shore.

I want my game to also show some of the strange british inventions that helped them secure the beach, such as the frail tank (a sheman with a rotating drum on the frunt that had heavy chains attached to it,and smacked the ground hard enough to blow up mines).

P4 3.2Ghz/Alienware area 51/radeon 9800 pro 256mb/sound blaster audigy 2/5.1 surround sound speakers.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 03:46
i just checked - Juno was canada. Sorry if im wrong about the gaining ground, I studied history at GCSE and remember seeing the invasion maps of all the regiments - Gold and Sword pushed the furthest inland. Maybe im wrong, dont know.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 04:59
If im not mistaken juno was a canadian force under british 2nd army command... Could be wrong about that

Need any more media? in my sig

Buy it
Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 06:37
I need lots of media, but I am not exactly iclined to buy anything that I can make myself sorry. Oh another note, I know now that I made my mistake, And I will change the beach you land at, to sword beach (sounds cool ). I know one of the british beaches had a coastal city that they had to take, that is the one I want, because it represtents some challenging urban combat, anyone know what beach that was?

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 15:57
http://www.normandiememoire.com/NM60Anglais/2_histo2/histo2_p3_gb.htm#

Theres a link to a Special Tanks page detailing some of the altered vehicles built to carry out specific battlefield tasks.

Major Payn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 19:54
Could you make that link clickable?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 21:25 Edited at: 7th Jun 2004 21:25
why not make it clickable yourself?
http://www.normandiememoire.com/NM60Anglais/2_histo2/histo2_p3_gb.htm
that was hard

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:21 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 01:21
Arromanches is the town next to Omaha beach.

That's also where they built the Mulberry Harbor which is cool
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:37
well good luck on finishing this game when all you've made is a "untextured head" so far

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:49
it is a pretty good head and the idea sounds great but eehm shouldn't you start first with a basic 3d engine?

if I = 1 then I = 1 else I = 0

Current project>> "MagEasy" simple 2D game creator..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 15:18:05
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 15:18:05