Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / n00b under going Big Task

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As title says I will be doing a major project over the summer on creating a RPG game but i know barely anything on this and tutorial kinda does not help me. Any advance people out there care to drop a hint or two.

Be one With Holy
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 20:04
Don't try an RPG or any big game project till next summer, in the mean time practice practice practice! The tutorials do help, and if you don't understand it then ask, practice doing little games or programs. To start off try a simple question program, where you are asked a few questions and your replys are recorded at the end. Then build up into simple arcade games like Pong/Space Invaders.

Skier Demon
Years of Service
User Offline
I can help you in the basics of programming if you want. Like ReD_eYe said, don't start with a RPG. It's pretty hard to make. You should start with a simple game. I can give you some pointers on programming if you want.
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
why does everyone want to make the 'next big rpg?' i dont get it... oh well, good luck.

pentium4 3ghz, 512mb dualchannel ram, 256mb ati radeon 9800xt, soundblaster audigy2, 120 gb hd.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Cuz RPGS are cool, that's why...

Got anime?
I do.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 10:35
Quote: "Cuz RPGS are cool, that's why"

i disagree completely, but thats just me

"eureka" - Archimedes
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i disagree completely, but thats just me"

I second that.

pentium4 3ghz, 512mb dualchannel ram, 256mb ati radeon 9800xt, soundblaster audigy2, 120 gb hd.
Mizipzor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 13:02
indeed

Dreaming of creating a highly advanced AI mind
Rennekon
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, a lot of people dislike RPG's because it takes a lot of brain power to play, and even more to make. Rpg's involve a high experience of programming. You need to know how to make battle systems, spells, weapons, models for the game, and a bagillion more along with that.

John "Dark Lord of Angel Destroying Destiny" Pringlebee, maybe?
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ok, a lot of people dislike RPG's because it takes a lot of brain power to play, and even more to make. Rpg's involve a high experience of programming. You need to know how to make battle systems, spells, weapons, models for the game, and a bagillion more along with that."

Exactly. HolyKey has already stated he is a newbie, so we're trying to get him to not try an RPG now, and to just start off with simpler stuff.

Richard the_young
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 22:12
back to the subject of the n00b
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 02:30
HolKey,

Since you like RPG's and it's generally what your interested in coding, here is my suggestion.

Don't focus right away on the big picture. Begin by picking small parts of the RPG that you can tackle and build experience with. Where you begin will depend on what type of RPG (2D sprite based or 3D). If say you chose to begin with a 2D Final Fantasy 1 type game...

A. Work on the steps to move the character on a black screen
1> Find or draw a sprite sheet of the player animation frames.
2> Load the image and extract the animation frames.
3> Build a simple game-loop and set up your screen, timing, & syncing.
4> Display the sprite.
5> Code an input handler to interpret key presses.
6> Have the sprite move & animate based on the KB input.

B. Work on steps to display simple tile-based world
1> Find or draw tiles to be used for a simple landscape
2> Use the method learned from the character to extract tile images
3> learn about arrays & multi-dimensional arrays, to read in map info from data statements
4> write a routine that will draw all the tiles of the world each game loop.
5> Write code to only scan through indexes of the array that fit on the screen.
6> Write a routine to scroll the tile world

C. Combine the code from A & B
1> Re-write the scrolling routine to have the charcter move to a certain point, at which the character animates still, and the tile world scrolls beneath.
etc...

I think you get the idea. Eventually you will wind up rewriting code as you gain more experience. But just go one step at a time. Don't try to code a full RPG with all the bells & whistles your first time out. I don't agree with the notion that you need to start off with Space-Invaders and the like. Although it's not a bad idea by any means, it just doesn't fit everybody.

Rennekon
Years of Service
User Offline
and must we demean the
Quote: "nOOb"
, it seems so unrightous to laugh and beat on people who are trying to accomplish something but don't know what they're getting into. They're learning, we all are, all the time so pretty much everyone is a newb.

John "Dark Lord of Angel Destroying Destiny" Pringlebee, maybe?
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It seems so unrightous to laugh and beat on people who are trying to accomplish something but don't know what they're getting into. They're learning, we all are, all the time so pretty much everyone is a newb."

Yeah, seriously. Honestly, if you like rpg's HolyKey, start off by learning something like Atari's Pitfall or something. It's an adventure game that is probably pretty easy to figure out. IDK, my opinion.

Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 22:41
Or a text based RPG. check out the following post:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=32247&b=7
still needs finishing though. try doing it yourself.
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah that's a good idea too. i always wanted to make text-based games, but I haven't yet.

DarKLE
Years of Service
User Offline
holykey im a newbie too i can relate to your situation i really thing you schould take this one step at a time dont rush into something like this ok satrt with pong and work your way up from there or maybe study ataris adventure thats a preetty fun game

BITCH SAY WHAT?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 13:22:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 13:22:29