Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BIG APOLOGY TO ALL DARKBASIC DEVS.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If you recalled from the Soul Shooter Post in the WIP. I would like to say from the bottom of my heart that i'm very sorry for evading all the the privacy between Blitz Basic and DarkBasic. I didn't know that it would effect anyone. Not to get personal, the reason why I did that because I wanted FAME. I'm a very stupid teen. Almost no one likes me at my high school. I just want to be happy again. I lost my subdomain from Jimmy.

TO ALL THE ADMIN, Jimmy, and all the DEVS.

I'M SORRY
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:33
Raising again the eternal question of how much people can forgive when a simple apology is offered. And how much they should forgive.

the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
That's a good question
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:35
they shud forgive if it wont happen agen...besides i dont know the offence

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:35
No forgiveness! Kill, kill, killlll!
Happy tree friends is good for you

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes indeedy

The statement below is true
The statement above is false
Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:40

---Troan---
Do you know the meaning of life?
Well I do! ^^
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 22:47
I don't know why you keep on bringing up Blitz Basic. We really don't care what forum you are apart of or what launguage you use.

What we care about is that you stole those screenshots from some author (a blitz basic author) without giving any credit. Those screenshots where not even a version that was compiled from your machice; you just took it straight from that blitz basic authors screen shots.

shame on you...

apology may or may not be accepted; it depends on your future behavior.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
i accept

[href]www.johnsgames.tk[/href]
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2004 23:05
Well said ABomb.

TheDesktops, if you thinking stealing will make you cool on a game development forum, perhaps you should find a better hobby. People get fame through hard work and helping others around here. I also didn't appreciate your name calling on the other thread. You make TGC and this community look bad when you do some idiotic thing like that.

On a brighter side, it's good you apologized, but I'd expect you to write an apology to the author's of those real screenshots.

Through your future actions I'll be able to decide whether I should just forget this.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't know why you keep on bringing up Blitz Basic. We really don't care what forum you are apart of or what launguage you use.

What we care about is that you stole those screenshots from some author (a blitz basic author) without giving any credit. Those screenshots where not even a version that was compiled from your machice; you just took it straight from that blitz basic authors screen shots.

shame on you...

apology may or may not be accepted; it depends on your future behavior."

You are right! I'm not trying to bring up the subject of which basic program is better, both are great. I don't know what I was think when I first did that. My future behavior will be that I respect people's property and try to make games on my own. I'm working on DarkGamePlayer 2, but I don't know if anyone wants to try due to the lack of trust. I don't really care anymore if you don't forgive me or not, it's not going to stop me from using DB or BB.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 00:27
I'll forgive as long as you don't do it again.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 00:57
Maybe instead of a darkgameplayer, you could make a darkgame

Make a game for yourself, rather than depending on the works of others. I'd like to see ya make something of your own and if you needed some help with DarkBASIC I'd be more than happy to offer, so long as you swear off Blitz

AAAnd you can have your subdomain back in.. a few days.. maybe

Oh and I never did actually contact the creators, I just wanted to scare you

ON a side note: I don't know if anyone else has ventured into the BB forums, but when I did yesterday I noticed that there were a LOT more games being developed by those members than over here (higher quality as well) Now I don't believe that says anything about the software, but it does say a lot about their community. I mean they've got this open source community FPS project that looks pretty incredible and I think.. why can't we be like that? We seem to be cluttered with little kids asking for favors instead of little kids proudly posting screens from their first game ever. Not sure where I'm going with this.. but it WAS an observation.

----
This is my Kung Fu and it is strong.
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:01
Probaly because Blitz is less popular and more expesnive. Means less newbies. It means the community will die out eventually, but it also means nearly everyone there knows their stuff. And Blitz is more stable, which means while they don't have the features we have freely available, their development probaly goes more smoothly.

Not trying to turn this into a BB vs DB thread, just making an observation.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:03
Yeah, I tried Blitz3D and it just wasn't as flexible as DBPro. Something I cherish so much in my little DB baby

----
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:15 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 01:16
B3D is successful because only people who physically own the software can post on their forums.

Thus, they don't get posts
"If I buy DB can I make a mmorpg?"
and have to waste their time anwsering the question. Instead, they'll get posts, "How should I go about making a mmorpg?." It's still as bad, yet it's more constructive.

(btw Jimmy, did you know there's a few mmorpg projects going on in the blitz community?)

[EDIT] Oh, and they don't have a team request section. (Take some notes Rich, )
-------------------------

I think the reason TGC is going towards online activation for 5.3 is this may be a way to stop idiot spammers like Z (who don't own the software) from posting. Perhaps TGC should only let owners of DBP post on these forums and maybe limit the newcomer's section to non-owners of DBP.

-------------------------

So, who wants to do a community project? Lets discuss here.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:33
I've always thought the idea of a community project would be awesome. But someone would have to first create a type of engine that could accept different modules created by anyone as long as they would conform to a certain system of writing their modules, for functions, their names and the like.

That's what I gather it would have to be like, but hopefully someone has a better idea so they can head up the project

----
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 01:52
Why don't we just have one thread and someone copies all the code into a DB project each week.

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 02:38
Quote: "I think the reason TGC is going towards online activation for 5.3 is... "

*double take*

Please 'splain...

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:10
Download the trial version off the site All the splainin you need.

----
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:11 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 03:13
@Jeku, i'm not sure of the whole story on this; it's part of that enormous thread in the dbp forum. I could've sworn Rich actually said that they weren't like Microsoft and were not going to make people use Online Activation.
(that said i don't care as i actually have a USB Dongle)

@Desktop, to you what you've done might be a joke. To most of this community however, it is something far worse.
You've started off on the wrong foot here kid;
firstly what you did to me is unforgiveable, as i am an artist and as such if someone stole my work well basically they're stealing my style and something that is greatly important to an artist is thier own unique style.
but this is two fold you've annoyed me because there is an alienware game which was quite good by the same name; and i was kinda hoping to see that the developer had decided to continue it's development only to find screenshots from poor looking Blitz examples!

your really going to have to achieve something worthwhile around here for alot of older users to forgive this; and rest assured alot of them will use this against you at some point just to make fun of you.
(there is a very childish attitude amongst alot of them)

[edit-]
how come the trial is 1.05.3 but the current retail is 1.05.2?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:15 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 03:16
Yeah Raven? Well I think your face is stupid!

Edit: That's not the real question, the real question is why they felt they had to be so secretive about releasing 5.3 trial!

----
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:21
Quote: "I mean they've got this open source community FPS project that looks pretty incredible and I think.. why can't we be like that? "

We've tried that already, remember? Mnemonix and a couple others were leading it but no one could agree on what type of game to do. Eventually the post just died down because it never got started.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:22
I would be very interested in a community based project! I saw their fps a while back to and had wondered the same thing, it seems really awsome and its not like we coudln't do the same thing.

the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh and I never did actually contact the creators, I just wanted to scare you "

@Jimmy- Thanks , but I still have to deal with Raven. I will try to make a simple game as soon as possible, if I don't have nothing else to do(Hopefully).

@Raven- I know that you are very angry with me. Maybe I'm not fit to program, maybe I just need to be a game tester. I know how to program in DB, but I just can't seem to get what I need. Just wanted to said sorry again.
the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
Would if some one made a program that could do fps
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:35
DarkSin, this community just isn't right for it.
About 2 years ago when this forum was first created; Yeah, i wouldn't have seen a problem with it ... unfortunately alot changed during the Jan-Mar period of 2003 as RGT fell.

Quite frankly the attitude of some of the louder members of this community are similar to nothing more than high-school bullies; who never achieve anything themselves but are willing to stand there and put everyone else down simply because they can't actually achieve anything. The attitude within Blitz is more elitist to be fair, and as such newbies and non-productive problematic people are weaned out;

This forum used to be extremely friendly and helpful ... but now i do honestly see this forum as little more than a High-School. And teenagers just aren't ready to work as groups large or small imo.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:44
Quote: "I would be very interested in a community based project! I saw their fps a while back to and had wondered the same thing, it seems really awsome and its not like we coudln't do the same thing."

Look at the results of our last one:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=14681&b=9
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=16426&b=9

the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quite frankly the attitude of some of the louder members of this community are similar to nothing more than high-school bullies; who never achieve anything themselves but are willing to stand there and put everyone else down simply because they can't actually achieve anything. The attitude within Blitz is more elitist to be fair, and as such newbies and non-productive problematic people are weaned out;"

And quite frankly, it seems like the ones that are experienced with DB, don't want to take the time to explain or even try to give out their AIM or MSN address to have weekly or even at least monthly sessions. I think there needs to be like a DB classroom or whatever.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 03:47
We tried that class room thing as well, Myself, Jessticular and a couple others were going to start it but it never went anywhere.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, well the experienced people using DB learned another Basic language first. So it was a small step. The DB Classic Help system was easy to grasp as well.

the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
One more apology to Jimmy. Man you host is the best. I hope to see future projects of mine there.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 06:51
Quote: "And quite frankly, it seems like the ones that are experienced with DB, don't want to take the time to explain or even try to give out their AIM or MSN address to have weekly or even at least monthly sessions. I think there needs to be like a DB classroom or whatever."

I didn't mind helping people out, but when they're not even willing to show an ounce of free will and judgement expecting me to explaing and give them examples that do exactly what they want; well to quote myself

"DarkBASIC is a language in order to allow you to create games, not to give you an excuse to make others do it"

I got sick and tired of it, changed my MSN and AIM then took them from this site; now i only talk to an help those who have taken the time to get experience.

When i was starting out, i never got any help on the basics of programming apart from darkbasic's helpfile and examples. That was more than enough to learn the basics, then it was just a case of understanding logical information routing (flowcharts) and mathematics.

That is all programming is in the end. Flowcharts and Maths.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:23
Community projects can work, but the other one got started off on the wrong track, unfortunatly. I've been involved in a couple 'community game projects' before, not all of them DarkBASIC, and they all failed because while everyone had a load of great ideas, nobody-- including me, I'll freely admit-- was willing to stop talking and start working. Sure, you need a solid concept, but spend too long on that phase and everyone will run out of steam before you've even got any work started. The second big problem is communication and a loose team structure; for anything like that to work, it's important to know who is doing what, exactly, and for everyone on the team to know all the other members' email and IM handles.

I'm tempted to start something with the small experience I have in these things backing it, but I'm actually quite busy with two other projects right now, namely DFDB and my Newton collision stuff (listed in order of priority... gotta finish that collision demo...). I'd be interested in seeing another one start up, though, and would offer what help I could .

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:47 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 17:50
Quote: "That is all programming is in the end. Flowcharts and Maths."

amen.

that's something that i think some of our "newbies" need to learn...

and yes i know you could point to my sign up date and call me a newbie but i've been programming longer then i've had DBPro...so at this point i'm trying to get used to DB's commands(and bugs)...(with the very pathetic help files... )

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 19:38
I don't get why you mentioned Diabetes, are you Diabetic?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 20:25
Quote: "And quite frankly, it seems like the ones that are experienced with DB, don't want to take the time to explain or even try to give out their AIM or MSN address to have weekly or even at least monthly sessions."

Who in the hell are you to expect complete strangers to take time out of their lives to help you on a weekly basis? When I bought DBP, I didn't see any clause that said I had to help whiny runts. I help people because I want to and I have the time to do so, but I'll gladly spit in the eye of a newb that demands my time or expects that the community owes them something.

I'm amazed at the inability of some people to do their own research and reading.
--
TAZ, self taught programmer

History did not begin with PONG. -- Greg Costikyan

Game Beavers
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 00:59
Untactful as the above message is , it completely sums up my feelings about that comment. Cheers Zircher.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 01:44
No zircher, it's your fault he's this way, shame shaaame.

----
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 02:09
I didn't bother posting in any of your WIP in progress posts because you'd probably just PUT THE CAPS LOCK ON AND START THROWING ABUSE AROUND. Seriously though you can apologise as much as you want but like Raven said, alot of people will use this against you in the future and to be honest I can't really say I blame them. I wouldn't say I've been a member of the community but yes, even I can see the change in attitude that's starting to creep in, although some boards i.e. 3d chat, have managed to keep a nice atmosphere. I myself find it very hard to explain why the forum has got this way, you could say too many noobs post but then people end up flaming them which just shows how un-helpful they can be, instead of offering advice and help people are all too eager to be the first person to say there bit and then appoint themselves the "head flamer" constantly posting more and more un-helpful comments. I see myself coming to these forums less and less now and the BB fourms do sound like a much more helpful environment. Maybe I'm all wrong though, maybe if we just let people flame the hell out of noobs then they would all go somewhere else and only those that actually thought something through before acting would actually make people want to help them. He he, I'm kind of liking the idea of mob rule, but maybe that's just me.

WAS DOING AN FPS BUT RAN AWAY AND STARTED ON MISSILE COMMAND INSTEAD.
Powersoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 20:30
what did he do. however i feel that it should be told from theDesktops and not from anyone else

Im not a rubbish programmer...Everyone else is just better than me....
If we were supposed to sing we would look like Kylie...
the desktops
Years of Service
User Offline
@RichS- Ok where to start. First of all I'm a 1 year experienced DarkBasic(DB) programmer and I'm a 7 month experienced Blitz BasicBB) programmer. During the last few days, I was surfing the forum to find some tutorials on how make very great collisions in BB. I was thinking about using the Nuclear Glory Collision Engine, but I changed my mind. I happened to come across this post about making a FPS in BB. I thought that maybe since they would have some collision code, I downloaded it. I read the readme code and they said that you could configure the code and have the models, pics, etc and then I found another tool to use it was a very incredible level editor called the Advanced Landscape Editor which I was looking forward to buy. The reason I posted Skitchy or Raven's picture to show it off to the devs, but the keyword I posted was My. That was the biggest mistake I made. Instead I should of said someone's elses, but it will feature the same things. I was going to use the landscape for my Soul Shooter and DarkGamePlayer 2. I know some of you will not believe my story, but I can careless. To tell you the truth I really forgot about what I have done and just try to do my own work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:54:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:54:27