Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Crashed my computer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 12:10
Hi everyone!
This is my first post in a very long time so just saying hi
Anyways, the other day i crashed my mum's laptop (windows 2000 professional) and it sucks because it had a darkbasic program whitch i had been working on for a very long time on it (enemy at the gates remake)so i want to try and get it up and running again so i can get back to scratch.

the problemo is that i broke it worse than just crashing it (i think) and it's the first time i've crashed a computer. i just need someone to identify how bad it is and then help me fix it.

Here goes:
Firstly, i was done computing for the day so i decided to shut down, but i accidently restarted. then, just as it was about to go into the desktop it froze on the loading screen. it was making a sort of kkk....kkk....kkk....kkk sound. then the screen turned blue and said "fatal error: dumping physical memory. when this happened i quickly pressed the power button (not a good idea) to try and not give it a chance to do what it intende to do, but it was to late. I was really scared by this point, so i turned it back on to see if it still worked. it is a black screen, with "press Esc for diagnostic screen or F1 for help", just like most computers start off like. if i just leave it and let it load up, the screen goes completly blank, and then when a minute or two has passed it says "operating system not found". if i enter the diagnostic menu then it gives me the option of which kind of boot up i want, a floppy disk, hard disk or CD ROM.

It would really help if someone could help me with this because it didn't only hold my DB files but also a lot of my mum's work files, so she was really pissed off when i told her.

if you can't help then i hope you were entertained by my life story, maybe i should write a book, "How i crashed my mum's laptop and then seeked help on thegamecreators.com"

Anyways
cya later,
Axelman

nothing right in my left brain:nothing left in my right brain
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 12:24
Sounds like the hard drives gone...

The only way of getting anything off then is to pay £900 for data recovery service...

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 15:54
Maybe just the MBR was erased? You could try connecting the hard disk to another computer, finding some data recovery tools on the net and see if you can salvage anything from it. After that, you'll have to format and reinstall everything.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 16:10
Boot up the Windows 2000 CD, and allow it to try to recover the system - It may fail.

At this point, you can try re-installing windows 2000 over the top of the existing installation, but don't delete the existing partition. If this works, you can make a backup of your code and then re-update to the latest patches.

If it doesn't work, then you can wave bye-bye to your code.

This happened to me recently, but I keep full backups so was able to recover everything

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:00 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 17:00
You can easily tell if its the hard drive : Get a Linux on CD system (like Knoppix). Hopefully it will boot correctly off the CD.
Once your in, click on the Hard Drive partion and try and copy a few files somewhere. If the copying system crashes then you know the hard drive is well and truely knackered. If not, you may be able to retrieve some or all of your stuff. Getting it off the Linux is then the next challenge.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:01
Can knoppix deal with NTFS? That's the default file-system type for Win2K

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 17:16 Edited at: 8th Jun 2004 17:46
Yes, it can... Probably the only good thing about Linux... Its what I tried when one of my hard drives failed. Crashed Linux quite wonderfully too

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 19:56
Ouch . Good luck.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 20:01
if you run FDISK /MBR you may be able to recover bootability from the disk but I would go down some of the other routes mentioned beforehand. Your best bet is to see if you can recover data from the disk by hooking into a pc via a drive kit, as a second disk.

good luck

didn't like the "crunch klick crunch klick" sound you described

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 23:01
Quote: "didn't like the "crunch klick crunch klick" sound you described"

Thats why I think the drive head has gone.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2004 23:27
Quote: "Crashed my computer"

Into what?
tee hee

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 05:13
Thanx everyone! i'll try everything everyone suggested except for buying a new hard drive (900 pounds? might aswell by new computer) and taking out the hard drive and putting it in a new computer.
2 reasons for this
1. i don't know how to rip things out of computers and then stick them into dif ones
2. my parents wouldn't let me if i did.

Anyways,
cya later

nothing right in my left brain:nothing left in my right brain

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:48:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:48:24