Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find good RPG tuts for DBC. Yeah I'm stuck in the past, I know.
But does anyone know of anything?

Got anime?
I do.
Mizipzor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 02:09
I think there isnt any specific RPG tutorials. Mainly because thats an HUGE topic. If you want to program your own rpg you need to be pretty good at darkbasic.

My advice isnt to set that kind of goal. Break it down, learn everything in steps. First, do you want it in 2d or 3d? If you choose 3d then you need to learn about 3d objects, loading .x models, collision and stuff. Then you probarly want file handling for saving and keeping the characters attributes.

I think you get the point.
Good Luck.
Mizipzor

Dreaming of creating a highly advanced AI mind
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I want it 3D, but I learn quickly, so that sure as hell ain't a problem. Just I need some clear Dark Basic Classic tuts, the binary moon and monster hunt suck. Know of any?

Got anime?
I do.
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 03:34
Search the WIP board for the rpg tutorial. It's a work in progress, yet some of the files may be availiable.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
No budget games
Years of Service
User Offline
im doing the oposite of what pepole in these forums say when creating a rpg instead of of having a complex system i use loads of variables to handle the functions 1,286 with out items i think
heres a bit it is turning out to be eaiser then everyone makes it out to be so go for it.

sj
No budget games
Years of Service
User Offline
oh witattacknrestype:
rem set attack and resistance types
Pierceatc =0
Bluntatc =1
Slashatc =0
Piercedft =0
Bluntdft =1
Slashdft =0
rem set magic defence and attack
Fireatc =0
Acidatc =0
Coldatc =0
Electricatc =0
Poisonatc =0
darkatc =1
lightatc =1
Firedft =0
Aciddft =0
Colddft =0
Electricdft =0
Poisondft =0
darkdft =1
lightdft =1

sj
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Basic, could you put that in to source or code snippet form please?

Got anime?
I do.
No budget games
Years of Service
User Offline
it just shows some damage types but u cn use the principle for everything else im not puting anymore of my game up cos pepole will steal it

sj
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 20:30
Okay,

When it comes to RPG tutorials there isn't that much information, over say the MUDs and the old EAGames models. The problem isn't really the RPG itself so much as it is the software that supports it, as in say the Adventure Series by Scott Addams. These were very much first-person games though using a text interface, as was most of the MUD services. Many other examples can be cited of course, from your basic TSR Adventurer Builder to NETHACK v3 by Mike Marcelles.

So I suppose the question really is; what do you mean by a Role Playing Game Tutorial? If you can dream about being a Wizard in a 12th century game land and having great adventures, you already know the RPG part of the process. When it comes to the programming side of the equation however you may be a complete newbie, which I assume is the reason you are asking the question.

For your basic RPG, you need; a map of the game land, a number of characters, a number of locations and artifacts that interact with the player and the game world. These come from your basic idea of the nature of the game, then you face programming it.

In the original Adventure game, everything was done by brute force. All levels had variables that changed depending on what you did, and the you either "escaped" or didn't at the end according to the variables. Then someone thought of multi-player options, and put it all into a form that allowed each character, indeed many players, each place and each thing to have variables of its own, like say -- this spell can only be cast 5 times before it becomes useless.

The is the general view of RPGs today, in that you create a "database" of options that moves with the player, interacting with other databases of each location. How they interact defines if a player succeeds or fails, following the basics of the MUD concept.

For someone wanting to learn how to build such a critter, I suggest first studying the 3D (or 2D, whatever is your flavor) tuts of Dark Basic, then apply what you learn to your game. You already know you want to create "a world" with nice graphics and such, so start with the beginning and read on McDuff! (Heh-heh, I'm still learning too, so we can learn together... ) But Dark Basic is a very cool way of managing the graphics side of the process, once you can grasp the whole world mapping thing and such like that.

Good Luck!
S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2004 07:17
Here is a completely unexplained, unoptomized, 100% hardcoded RPG Battle Engine (the camera swing gosub still doesnt work right...) I think I have a few things remmed out because of testing the camera, but you should be able to learn a little bit from the source. Oh well here goes (Im working a full blown RPG Tutorial. This code will be explained and optomized + 100% working )

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using DBCenhanced, but this will help when I upgrade to DBPro..

Got anime?
I do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 12:23:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 12:23:55