Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Hyper Bunny Ball (A Take on Monkey Ball)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 20:39 Edited at: 9th Jun 2004 20:43
Hi all

Just came back from my holiday, and after thinking about it I'm gonna wait for the new versions of DBPro and Newton to come out before continuing with Deathbed full time, although I am still working on level design and models. The new Motorised joints, Vehicle physics and Terrain commands will help no end.

So, I was thinking, and to get Deathbed to be as cool as possible, I would like to fully implement physics to all objects in the game, to allow for setting traps for enemies, bouncing projectiles, vicious ragdoll killings etc Trouble is, my grasp of physics isn't too hot, so I thought I would start a small project to help me learn and practice using Physics in DBPro...

And here it is! Hyper Bunny Ball, inspired by Super Monkey Ball, but with a lot more objects to interact with (ie bounce around ) The screenshot below is the result of today working at it (about 2.5 hrs)

The graphics are symplistic but I hope to make them quite stylised, with a cell shaded, outlined, cartoony feel. The levels will consist of monkeyball-like mazes/obstacle courses, plus races, and various physics based tasks, block formations, potting balls, knocking over skittles, firing projectiles with see-saws etc. Obviously it'll also come with a level editor

Oh, and before anyone points out, yep I know its a monkey not a bunny, he's just a placeholder. I'll replace the monkey with a lil animated cutey and perhaps some sexy bunny girls for good measure

[EDIT] Should have added that this is using Newton Physics and Walabers cool wrapper

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2004 20:51
Wow, that really gives a good impression. By that I mean I love the style of coloring and I'm sure this game looks great in motion.

Would be awesome to see DeathBed with interactable objects. That's something we need to see more often in games. Although, I think I want to give this bunney a run first though.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 03:11
Thank you!

Yeah it does look pretty sweet in motion. I think I'll add basic shadows to the objects and perhaps some particle effects, but I want to keep it looking cartoony and simple.

Perhaps XIII style visual onomatopaea would work? I'll try it out.

Spent most of this evening drawing a Japanese(ish) Bunnygirl cartoon, perhaps for title screens etc. I think its pretty good but I'm sure it'd be flamed by purists, of which there appear to be many round here lol

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:54
Cool, I like the feel of the cartoony graphics.

But the green... I can't feel my eyes...

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 16:34
Yes, the green is a little too contrasty. When putting colours together, remember the colour wheel and the natural opposite colours:

Red & Green
Blue & Orange
Yelow & Purple

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 18:25
Thank you

Hmm the colours look fine to me, but then I am partially colour blind!

So what colours need to be replaced? The greens turned to a sonic style organge & Brown? Or the Purple & Blue perhaps changed?

Not that It matters too much, different levels will have different colors

Today I fiddled with more physics, experimenting to get it feeling right. Perhaps a demo soon ish to see what people think.

Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 19:48
Sounds really cool i have super monkey ball 1 on my gamecube and its lots of fun.
keep it up.

1GHZ AMD ATHLON WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 AND 512 MB SDRAM.
Cliff 3degs network
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 19:50
Bye the way how do you code your bitmap font code to display right and on screen?
i have tryed to do it for a long time in dbp.

1GHZ AMD ATHLON WITH AN GEFORCE 4 TITANIUM 4600 AND 512 MB SDRAM.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 14:36
wow cool! I get back into town, hop back on the forums, and this is waiting!! The first project on the WIP board using Newton

I hope you keep working on this, as it's looking really cool!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Physics coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 18:05
Cool, looks great! Needs bananas or carrots to collect. A cool twist from Super Monkey Ball would let the bunny be able to jump.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 14:59:59
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 14:59:59