Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DBP in OSX is a while off yet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 06:27
I just got darwine to work and all i can run so far is mine sweeper
they need to ramp up the development before a direct x exe would even run.

fall down seven times, stand up eight
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:52
Darwine is still in heavy development to be fair.
also it isn't what Apple & Microsoft have planned for the next MacOS... DirectX10 is going to be Multi-Platform (well as in works on MacOS and Windows) as Apple have been working on .NET support.
Just think, a Unix based .Net System ^_____________^ running on a PowerPC's ^____________^

definately gonna have to get myself one of the new G5's for christmas ^_^

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:13
Quote: "Just think, a Unix based .Net System running on a PowerPC's"

*drool*

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:14
Quote: "DirectX10 is going to be Multi-Platform (well as in works on MacOS and Windows)"

I dont see that happening...

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 16:31
I also don't see that happening. Why the hell would Microsoft throw away market share? It's never been their tactic and never will be their tactic simply because it's a stupid idea. If most games run on DirectX and DirectX only runs on Windows then people are going to buy Windows, if people buy Windows then developers are going to create for Windows and DirectX, hence the endless cycle that Microsoft have deliberately put themself in for their own gain. If MacOS supports DirectX then that cycle is broken and Microsoft lose, which is why it won't happen.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 18:23 Edited at: 10th Jun 2004 18:26
Well if MS wanted to hold onto the present status quo, there's no need for the .Net platform. Ultimately NET is their way of removing dependency of Windows upon x86. A by product of this, will be cross platform compatibility. Since .NET is JIT based. For example, TOAS already does this.

Anyway, If the future DX's are developed purely for the Net framework, and this framework appears on other platforms, then they will be cross platform.

Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Play Nice! Play Basic
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:24
.Net certainly adds alot to Microsoft's armada of software; but your right .Net is to allow Microsoft so they don't have to recompile thier libraries for each Platform.

It's not really an 'optional' move either, because Intel's IA-64 and AMD's x86-64 are very very different beasts; plus Intel have a response 64bit processor to the x86-64 which again is a new design.

So Microsoft are moving once again to those fabulous words
'IBM-Compatible'

x86, PPC to be more precise
Microsoft aren't allowing Apple to have .Net out of the goodness of thier hearts either; Apple want it so they can be 100% Windows Compatible, and Microsoft are getting a larger market.

Remember alot of the graphics industry uses Macintosh as they're more stable, reliable but most importantly the PPC is more powerful.
(not to mention Software developers find it easier to program for at the low level)

You might say here... Microsoft would be loosing thier market to Macintosh; but the old alliances of Microsoft and Intel are now dead. Microsoft have a multi-billion dollar deal; Royalties from every copy of MacOS sold. (MacOSX is around 1.5x the price of Windows XP Pro)
Also other Mac software which relies on .Net ... like Shake is planned to be (used industry-wide and extremely expensive).

Microsoft would also end up opening up thier Office to the Macintosh market, as well as a new games market.

And this isn't like it would be a great surprise to know that Windows 'Longhorn' will be PPC compatible as we already know that Microsoft had a prototype X-Box2 working with a PPC 605e Processor at one point. (Microsoft are not ones to use other people Operating Systems)

But don't expect this to mean DirectX games for Linux because of a Unix port. As i've said Apple will be paying quite alot for the use of this, Linux distro's can't afford that.
Apple will gain basically the entire Windows library of software and games to be able to use; meaning finally the computer industry will have made a 14year U-Turn and finally be back to where we were with Amiga, Mac and IBM-Compatible in the late 80s

Be bloody brilliant if Amiga finally release this damn Alpha machine!

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 00:09
Agreed, that would be quality!

Actually you read my mind, I was just going to point out about the XBox2 using a PPC processor, essentially meaning Microsoft must have written an operating system that can be handled by PPC anyways

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:58:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:58:48