Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone voting today?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 12:47
Anybody gonna vote today. Personally I can't be bothered. Being in London I am entitled to 5 votes!

1 vote for European Parliament
2 votes for Mayor of London - 1st and 2nd choice
1 vote for London Assembly Constituency member
1 vote for London-wide Assembly Member

What a load of tosh. I don't even know what these people do and have no interest in politics. The only one of interest to me is Mayor of London but I have no idea if Ken Livingstone has done a good job or not as he hasn't really had the chance.

Boo!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 12:51
Well the way I see it, votes really make no difference - the government is what it is regardless of what they promise at election time. 10 years ago we desperately wanted the Conservatives out and Labour in, now Labour have proven incapable of improving matters we're looking at nationalist parties, which strangely enough were practically shunned upon 10 years ago.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 13:07
People should vote.

Extreme right/left parties thrive on low turnout at the polls. Their members will all vote so they may gain a foothold particularly in the locals. And non-voters can only blame themselves.

Look at what happened in France recently:

Low turnout
Far-right candidate gets through to the final
People protest against him standing when they let him in by not voting.

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 13:09
I live in Australia
I'm 17

Thus, I cannot vote

Can't drink either. Thats a pity.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 13:59
Nobody has actually told me what to do with the wad of paperwork that came through my door. I expected local representatives to come knocking and offering to explain it, bearing in mind the point above re: Nationalist parties and low turnout.

I do care, but the people who want my vote don't seem to.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:33
Well until i reregister as i'm officially back in the country i don't have a vote; but that said i also don't have to pay my local £800ish Council Tax... which i'm waiting for to pass before i register so i can have 2years of not paying (honestly who's more likely to spend my tax money better; me or the council?)

i think this postal system is a stupid idea though; especially as i've been hearing from the news and stuff minority families are being 'swaded' to hand over votes. Which pisses me off cause that just means that a) the votes are invalid, b) it wastes valuable police time which could be used to catch REAL criminals, c) you know if Labour or Conservative don't benifit from it they'll both cry foul.

the only 2 votes i care about is my local constituency and the general election; my local tends to always side with Lib Dem which in my area since changing from Labour have seemingly improved some things ... but then i've not been around much.
general i tend to side with them again, but i think it's more a case of lesser of 3 main evils;

i am starting to see no point in it, and i would wish that british national parties would actually get voted in more places; perhaps if there are more of them on the benches, it might shock those in charge into actually doing thier jobs ... but more over if they were voted in you know, they'd ACTUALLY do something which the members of the country care about.

look at what Labour has done over the past 4years; Sided with America on a campaign no-one cept the government wanted, and given away valuable work contracts for the military to foreign countries whilst raising tax very steply on everything which doesn't seem to have helped bring spending into something more manageable, perhaps because people are paying out ALOT more on things and so having to borrow even more to afford to; what they're doing is causeing the problem with the Bank of England is trying desperately to fixx but can't ... guess we'll find out later today if they'll try to solve this by setting interest rates up by that .5% that alot of people reckon they will.

We really need a government in which will sort this country out rather than trying to play the system so they get rich.

Anyone ever watch the parliment channel? watch the debates that go one. if you ask me that is what is wrong with this country, they all sit down talk about everything but really it's not a discussion on the topics at hand ... it's nothing more than a pure Flamewar.
Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative just quite frankly don't know how to lead the country; just like the London Underground don't know how to run a train system.

All these people know how to do is spin facts, make excuses and apologise. We dont' need bloody high-schoolers running the country, we need people who will take responsibility for action and actually put into practise what they set out to do.

i mean i wanna know how unemployment is the 'lowest for 20 years', but i keep hearing that since the euro was introduced the pound strength on the market has been taking it's toll on business meaning record numbers of layoffs and companies going under...

Both CANNOT be right... the only way i can figure that the unemployment figures have dropped so much that they look better than 20years ago is because one thing has changed in the last 12months, we have only 10% of the immigrants comming in.

oki well that's my rant over with hehee
honestly don't see a single group worth voting for right now
but gonna vote cause else i won't have an excuse to bitch

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:47
er how can you vote if you haven't registered then?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:53 Edited at: 10th Jun 2004 14:54
I believe he said he wont be...

I will be though...

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:54
his last sentence says he will be

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:55
In which case its a direct contradiction to his first sentance...

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:56
indeed

Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 14:58
In Belgium there is an obligation to vote ... so everybody will (except with good excuses, which you can proove)

- Mind the gap -
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:05
i ment i'm gonna vote when i next can... just not now; sides it isn't exactly the important elections right now.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:20
Quote: "In Belgium there is an obligation to vote ... so everybody will (except with good excuses, which you can proove)"

Yeah, that's the same down here, everyone HAS to vote. I'll be voting when our next election occurs later this year.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 15:45
Quote: "sides it isn't exactly the important elections right now"

Some may disagree with you there...

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 16:49
Quote: "In Belgium there is an obligation to vote ... so everybody will (except with good excuses, which you can proove)"

oh really ? interesting, but do you think it works better this way, or do people view is as a chore?

Team EOD : Programmer :: 3D artist
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 17:42 Edited at: 10th Jun 2004 17:43
I think it's a good way to try to have the meaning of the whole population. But I also know that some don't really know what they are voting :S
Some people take it as a chore, but they rarely regret to vote. And while waiting to vote, there are allways people you know, and you can talk to.
Maybe that keeps some extremist groups from gaining more power.

- Mind the gap -
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 19:05
"10 years ago we desperately wanted the Conservatives out and Labour in, now Labour have proven incapable of improving matters"
Lol yup my sentiments exactly.

Unfortunately I'm so dissillusioned with all the major parties that I'm simply not voting. In fact, since moving a couple of months ago I haven't even registered to vote, and until someone sparks my interest and trust I doubt I will. At least that way I don't have to do jury duty

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 19:14
I think a lot of people don't vote because they don't like anyone who's running. And if you don't vote for a major party, you are pretty much throwing your vote away, at least that's how it is in the US.

I'm not going to vote in the next election for president here because I don't want anyone to win. I like Bush in general, on domestic things, but his foreign policy is total crap. And the other major candidate, Kerry, is supposed to be a total jerk+I don't like his domestic policies.

So why vote if you don't like anyone running? Its kind of like lying I think to cast your vote for the lesser of two evils when you don't want either.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 19:42
Lets all vote RESPECT.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 20:54
Also an interesting fact, the most votes total received by any one candidate over history is actually a write-in: Micky Mouse. I kid you not

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 20:57
well if you don't vote

a) you can't bitch about what the current people are doing without being hypocritical
b) you can't keep those who perform well with low turn outs (ie BMP... no not bitmap format )
c) you can't change what happens

if you think about it, if 1,000 people are given a vote; but 900 of them don't like any of the candidates, your future is left in the hands of those 100 who DO want to make sure their party gets into power.

lets say you have 3 parties:
TGC, RGT, & C.M.C

everyone expects TGC to win, because they're the favourites; but as i said 900 people don't vote cause they don't like any of the parties or they feel there is no need even though they want RGT in.

£50 says the majority of those 100 who are left are people who are dedicated to C.M.C ... then everyone starts bitching about how C.M.C is now in control of DBPs future!
You don't vote then quite frankly how did you expect to stop that?

i know it's a bad analogy but still you get the idea;
but as i said i'm not registered right now, so nowt i can do.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:35
Surely its BNP? British National Party? I can't vote for a while yet, can't say i'm that bothered about it though...

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 22:39 Edited at: 10th Jun 2004 22:42
Quote: "Surely its BNP? British National Party?"

Or British Nazi Party

I might vote but I don't like any of the candiates and the euopean bit is just a case of picking the people with the funniest name. I have never heard of any of them let alone know what they stand for or even what they do.

can i scream
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 22:59
the whole political party thing is stupid... (Over here we have Democrats Vs Republicans). It doesn't matter which side you are on, I can guarentee all polititians are full of sh!t.

So I guess our only choice is to vote for the lesser of two evils...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Kain
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 23:37
Its kind of funny that during the founding of our country the "career polititian" was not even conceived of. It was intended that people have normal careers, serve in the government for a while, and then go back to their old lives. Maybe not very workable in this day and age, but it would keep people from being currupted as they go along.

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 00:16
I aw a BNP broadcast the other day. It was both hillarious and scary at the same time

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 15:28
BNP and Labour both lost support.

Conservative and Lib Dems gained.

It is now proven that voting for Lib Dem can actually get them seats, and is no longer considered a wasted vote. These elections may turn out to be more important than anyone first realised.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:53:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:53:59