Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone here know much about excel speadsheets?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just doing a spreadsheet to store pages of data so I can flick through them by clicking on an appropriate button or something. I know very little about excel and could do with a few pointers.

Say I wanted to display the first few pages of a specific book. I want to be able to click on a name or button with the name on or next to it and have the data displayed to the right of it. Which I can scroll down the worksheet to read.

So say I wanted the first 10 pages of Stephen Kings Salem's Lot. I would have the words Salems Lot on the left hand side. When you click on it the first 10 pages appear in a long text file I can scroll down. I would put other book names down along the lefthand side and when any are clicked on they replace the text with the relevant books text.

Is this possible? With just MS excel? i can't seem to find any options to do this from looking at the help files. I can hide the text altogether but have no idea how I can show it when something is clicked.

If anyone here knows a way please let me know!!

Thanks in advance
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:06
I'm a self declared excel guru. I can make it dance.

Really though, I think your missing the point of what a spreadsheet is for. They aren't really meant for that kind of thing. If you REALLY want to use excel for that, why don't you just put each book on a seperate worksheet and use the sheet tabs at the bottom to select which one that you want?

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:25
you're probably better off with Acrobat documents

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 21:38
you can download some very good freeware for reading books that has indexs etc, I used "toms e-text reader" for a long time, then I wrote a db script to convert to Palm format (remove the double line spaces basicaly and adjust the text width nicely for the Palm screen), but you can find software to organise almost anything, try searching the web, or maybe code your own in VB or DB.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I'm not using it for books, that was just an example to show you what I sort of thing I want. I actually want to display data for different companies. I know I could use lot's of worksheets but that is a messy way of doing it if you ask me. I want a nice list of companies on the left and the data displays on the right when you click on them. I am using other worksheets for other stuff as well, but this is the one I am stumped with.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2004 22:40
The data is going to have to exist somewhere. You'll probably want a sheet of nothing but raw data. There is even ways to "hide" that so the end user won't see it.

Here is an example spreadsheet of what you are looking for:
http://www.ericksonline.com/upload/example.xls

Good luck!

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks that is the sort of thing. Although I need a few pages of data for each company. That should help me I think. I need VB to change those buttons I assume. I have it somewhere, not got round to installing it after my last system format.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 15:42
What you are doing is Database oriented, not spreadsheet oriented. You could, in Access for example, use subforms to click th erecord first and display the detail in the subform.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 15:52
You need to look at VBA forms, and using a sheet as a lookup table.

I'd make a spreadsheet for the data, like a standard table of data with the title, author, etc etc, and the text descriptor you want in a cell too. Then you use lookup functions to find the location of your specified data and set the cell values to those inside the VBA form. VBA comes with Excel, and you should try and learn some of that - you can even record your code like a macro then play around with it.

But, as Wolf says, Access is far better for this sort of thing - you could even have your book excerpts as an any length memo string which could hold the entire book if you wanted.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:43:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:43:11