Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Win XP Problems... Surprised?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 12:40
Hey all.

I have just finished setting up my new PC.
I had a whole load of trouble with the hardware before I could even get to the stage where it was possible to install XP, but I have installed now, and the hardware is ( mostly ) ok.
Now, I have an issue with exe files.

The problem:
I have WinXP installed.

More detail:
When I try to run compressed exe files ( such as self-extracting files, or XP SP1 ), the file will fully extract, but just before it finishes, it will give me the following error:

I have searched MS Knowledge Base, and googled till my eye's hurt, and could not find any mention of anything like this at all except in the case of those infected with SasserD ( but all the other symptoms of the virus are non existant on my PC ( for example, the com.dll file issue ), and I don't have it connected to the net, so I couldn't have gotten it ).

So, you can see my dilema.
The main files I wish to get working are SP1, and the Flash MX 2004 install ( the trial version, as that has the compressed exe ), but I cannot get past this issue.

Any and all help/suggestions/tips/links/random slaps are apreciated.

Thanks.
Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 12:42
Are you sure it simply isn't corrupt? Ie, the actual file is genuinely broken?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 12:51
No, the files are fine, cos I used the exact same files ( off the same CD ) to patch up THIS PC after I formatted it last Friday, along with reinstalling Flash MX 2004.

But, thanks for trying.

Jess.

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 12:59
I would run sfc first off to see if there's any system file corruptions. Then try a recovery install of xp.

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 13:03
Jess i've had this before, it was a bug in Winzip; found if i used 7zip the problem went away.
The error occurs in Winzip <8.0 Self-Extracting and WinCAB Self-Extracting; there is another bug which sometimes creeps in to do with MSI (Microsoft Installer) which i have on my home system right now, which is preventing me from installing .Net framework.

reinstall Service Pack 1, that should fixx it. (if you have SP1a then the better)

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 13:25
Karlos,
Good suggestion, but I resorted to a full format/reinstall of XP the other day, and I still have the same issue.

Raven,
Are you saying that I should install the latest WinZip?
I am unsure as to what you mean.
Also, Yes, I have SP1a, but I cannot intsall it, as this file has the "File Is Corrupt" issue too.

Thanks for the help.
Jess.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 13:32
manually extract the service pack 1a file to your temp directory and run it; afterwards the problems should subside, but yeah you should also try the new Winzip as this could also be a factor.

Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 13:34
Alrighty, I'll give that a whirl now...

Oh, and I've already tried manually extracting the file with WinRAR ( 3.1b ) but it also gave me the file is corrupt error on that PC, whereas on this one it didn't ( I did this for Flash isntall, but it still failed on my PC ).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jess.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 13:58
Yes, the included ZIP routines are rather bugged - you need to use either WinZip or even better WinRar. I dont know whether its fixed in SP2, as I only use WinRar.

The place for wonderful plug-ins and things.
Keep your friends close, and your cats even closer.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 14:41 Edited at: 11th Jun 2004 14:43
Damn it!

I extracted the files into a folder, then tested it on this PC, and it worked ok ( well, at least it actually got to loading the installer ).

Then, I took it to the other PC, ran the same install.msi file, and it went fine for a little bit, then it started to encounter files that were "missing" which I could quite plainly see in the folder.

Then, once I had hit retry about a million times, I hit cancel and it started to restore the old files, but when it was doing that, it had a whole lot of missing files that Windows should have put there itself... And now I can't boot Windows at all!!

I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow now, otherwise I think I might just end up taking out all my frustration on my new Keyboard or monitor

Any help is still apreciated.

Jess.

1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 17:59
If you can't even boot into safe mode by pressing F8 at startup, than I would suggest you have it professionaly installed. And were their any problems with installing WindXP.

And the forum name "Win XP problems...suprised?"
I am actually surprised because WinXP is the most stable operating system so far as I know. But WinME is said to be the worst operating system for bugs. We had it once and we had bugs up the waazoo. Have you looked at microsoft.com lately for problems like this. And if problems persist with your computer the CD might be corrupt (just a little, or else it wouldn't've installed with no errors).

Anxiously awaiting BlueGUI v2
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 18:21
Quote: "I am actually surprised because WinXP is the most stable operating system so far as I know"

sorry, but...

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 18:44
lol @ CattleRustler.

1tg46,
I haven't tried booting into Safe Mode, but, I don't see how doing that will help me, I'll just do a repair via the CD.

And I am quite capable of installing the OS myself. It's not a difficult task, and I'm pretty darn sure that any "Pro" around here would come up against the same problem of not knowing what to do about the File Is Corrupt error.

You're right though, ME's horrid. We have that on our family LapTop, and... Wow, it sucks bad. lol.

Quote: "Have you looked at microsoft.com lately for problems like this."

Quote: "I have searched MS Knowledge Base, and googled till my eye's hurt, and could not find any mention of anything like this at all"

When you say the CD may be corrupt, are you refering to my XP CD, or the CD I am using to transfer the files?

I have used multiple CD's to transfer the files, and the XP CD I have used to install on this PC too, without any problem at all, so the OS's CD is fine.

Thanks for trying to help anyway...
Jess.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 19:05
Perhaps it's a hardware problem, dodgy hard disk or ram etc.

can i scream
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 19:12 Edited at: 11th Jun 2004 19:13
Quote: "Then, once I had hit retry about a million times, I hit cancel and it started to restore the old files, but when it was doing that, it had a whole lot of missing files that Windows should have put there itself... And now I can't boot Windows at all!!"

I was under the impression that the files that were missing were files of the operating system and not the program you were trying to install. And if it was for the program files and not operating system files than disregard my last post.

Quote: "And now I can't boot Windows at all!!"

If this is a problem than safe mode will only load the nesecary files for windows start and then you can debug what your problems have been and fix them.

Anxiously awaiting BlueGUI v2
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2004 21:24 Edited at: 11th Jun 2004 21:26
check your bios and change the ram speed and refresh, make sure the mobo supports your cpu speed fully, some mobos will make the pc behave erraticaly if you have even a slightly overspeed cpu, some memory is not as fast as it claims on the label either, my other machine has a 256mb stick of (supposed) 133mhz mem that causes random crashes and corrupted files if you set the ram speed to 133, at 100 the machine is perfectly stable, also the XP winzip system is pants, put the latest winzip on instead, the default XP zip extractor can crash with large files as well.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2004 06:41
1tg46,
Alrighty, I'll try to boot into Safe Mode and see if I can get it all fixed up.

Mentor,
Yes, that is an issue with my motherboard ( GA-7N400 Pro2 Rev2.0 ), but it's the reverse. If I set the RAM speed to lower than it should be, the Motherboard has problems, and also the same goes for the CPU speed.
I have an AMD Athlon 2600+ in there, and before I set the speed, booting was a nightmare, and once I changed it from the default to what it should be, it was all better - These were some of the hardware issues I was talking about.

I'll go over my BIOS setting again though, just to make sure everything is alright.

Thanks for the help guys, nice to see the community looking out for eachother as always

Jess.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:40:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:40:45