Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Recently got back from Boy Scout camp, met an interesting person.........

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 01:54
For the past week I've been in Camp Geronimo in Arizona. Every year they have one international Boy Scout come across the border to spend several weeks at camp. The guy this year came from Basingstoke, Hampshire, England. I know a lot of you guys here are from the UK, so do any of you know Tom Peachey?

He mentined his rank was one below the highest one, I can't remember the exact rank since the system's a little different than the U.S. He was around 19-20 years old, can't be certain though.

Crazy Donut Productions, Current Project: KillZone
Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 01:59
No, I don't know him...
But isn't the max age you can be to get Eagle rank 18? I'm pretty sure it is... Mabey thats just a rule around where I am, U.S.
But you did say "can't be certain though." .....

Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 02:01
Quote: "you guys here are from the UK, so do any of you know Tom Peachey?"
That's like saying:"do you know bob, from Canada?"

Quote: "19-20 years old"
And STILL in boy scouts, what a loser.(No offence)

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 02:14
I'd watch out for "Tom Peachy" and his frolicing near the boys - if ya get me

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 02:35 Edited at: 13th Jun 2004 02:37
Brogo-I know 18's the limit for BSA, but in the UK the age goes up to 25. They don't even have the Eagle rank there, it's called something else and the ranking system has a different structure.

Manticore Night-I know it's a little random, but my reasoning was that many online communities attract people from all over the place who know all kinds of people and often you will meet somebody in real life and some person you've met online will say "Yeah, I know that guy!". Also, being a Boy Scout and having gone through a long application process and been accepted to be flown to Arizona, USA to take part in an international exchange program at Camp Geronimo probably means he's a prominent figure in the local community.

And, as I mentioned to Brogo, age limit for Boy Scouts in the UK is 25. If is takes until you are almost 25 years old to get the highest rank I would consider it well worth the wait. In the Marine Corps in the U.S. if you are an Eagle Scout you get an automatic promotion-needless to say you will also do well in other career paths.

CattleRustler- I get ya, lol.

Web Site Button Does Not Work, Visit Here: http://www.geocities.com/crazydonutproductions/index.html
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 02:54
Quote: "That's like saying:"do you know bob, from Canada?""
Ah, c'mon, most of us know/ are related to the queen. After all there is only about 60 million of us...

Across the border BTW? Big bloody border...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Manticore Night
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 04:07
Quote: "Ah, c'mon, most of us know/ are related to the queen. After all there is only about 60 million of us... "
What are you talking about?

It's amazing how much TV has raised us. (Bart Simpson)
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 05:30
Lol, I know...border. Mostly they just send us guys from Mexico, Japan, and Canda(no offense to ya Manticore Night). So it was really different to get a guy all the way from the UK.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 07:25

* DBP_NETLIB_v1.2 - NOW WITH VARIABLE WATCHER! * Click Logo
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 11:10
I know Tom Peachey!!!

Oh no, I don't hang around with 25 year old boy scouts.
Hey guys, don't forget Friday evening is the country meeting. The Queen was preeetty annoyed you weren't there last time. They take a register you know.
MikeyP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 11:52
Lol, That topic could sound slighty dirty

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 03:07:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 03:07:33