Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / internet PS2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 14:13
Hi everyone!
i was just wondering if their is anyone here who plays playstation 2 over the internet?
I do. It is really really good, and i suggest you ALL get into it (if you have a PS2). firstly you need broadband, and then you can by a ethernet pack for the ps2 for about 60 bucks (australian(you get a free Game!!!)).

You can also play xbox over the net, but xbox is CRAP!!!

anyways, i play Hardware: online arena (a tank game) and SOCOM: US navy SEALs (terrorists v SEALs).
if u see me say g'day, i play under the name:

FlatLine

anyways, cya later

nothing right in my left brain:nothing left in my right brain
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 14:19
Nope, not found a single game for the PS2 I want to play online;
There is Final Fantasy XI due out; but still not hit british shores, and honestly even the wait for the PC version to be able to be logged in from a European location is starting to wear my patience thin.

Don't play the X-Box online because again, with the exception of Halo, no other game really are decent... and i'm totally bored of Halo now.

For saying Online Multiplayer isn't one of the GameCube's strongest areas (with the least number of titles capable of it) ... it is the only one to will have my interest in that area.
Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2 are cool and 3 was just released; I also have the Mario Kart hack which allows me to play it online (it should've been a built-in feature imo) which make it quite entertaining.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 14:33
Xbox is the online console.
PS2 has separate networks for each game so they're unreliable. Not like Xbox-live which is one huge malorky.

The best games for Xbox-live are Halo (a bit boring, I agree), Unreal Championship, Counter-strike and Project Gotham 2.

There are loads of games on Xbox-live though.

Oh and Rainbow 6 3 - that's way better than SOCOM because they actually have AI
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 14:35
ps2 online is a little weak at the moment although socom/socom 2 is fairly good.

xbox has rainbow six 3, unreal, project gotham 2 which play pretty well online plus EA has now agreed to go online with xbox so overall is looking good.

gran turismo 4 for the ps2 is going to have online play so definitely worthwhile then.

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 16:03
Quote: "Xbox is the online console.
PS2 has separate networks for each game so they're unreliable. Not like Xbox-live which is one huge malorky.

The best games for Xbox-live are Halo (a bit boring, I agree), Unreal Championship, Counter-strike and Project Gotham 2."

i wouldn't call X-Box the online console. i think the reason i prefer the GC is because like my PC i don't get laggy gameplay.
you need atleast a 256K line to play X-Box and PS2 games with a decent ping... 512K really is what i'd say is minimum unless your actually pretty good at the games.

what also turns me off the X-Box online (and alot of FPS on the PC too actually) is the fact that people are getting just ridiculously hard to play against.
i mean i remember a time playing online games where you'd log on, you'd have some fun - you'd die cause of lag, your mates would too, no one was obviously better because you were chillin' having fun.

now it's all about the winning and being better, which takes the fun out of playing online. though i can run rings around alot of these people if i play seriously as i used to when i did tournaments, to me that defeats the entire point in playing. I play online to chill and have fun, not be fragged repeatidly without taking 3 steps into a level because of some camper who wants to take the game deadly serious.

that's why i mostly again stick to MMORPGs now, because alot of them don't have player kill and you go around with mates killing other things... if you die you go down a level big whoop, but it's not like a 1-shot kills from a camping bot

definately why the bottom is falling out the online market and why mmorpgs are getting more popular. too many gamers are taking online gameing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to seriously now; it's like when you used to play C&C online. Was never good at that, but when your 1minute in and the other guy comes at you with like an entire army of vehicles and destroys you. It's like WTF!?! where's the fun in that?

On the point about the PS2 though; the different network types are
good in a way, but bad in another.

Square have PlayOnline which is like X-Box Live... this makes sure all the servers are working correctly and keeps players on lower ping servers. Problem with it though is when the network gets clogged, like the internet at peak times, all servers suffer. (hense the need for faster modems)

there really isn't a way to win if you ask me with online networking, but mircosoft's does make it alot neater and easier to browse games.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 16:18
Quote: "people are getting just ridiculously hard to play against"

Why thank you, i do try

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 16:33
hahaa

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 16:37
behind you.... *BLAM*

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 17:49
Yeah.

I remember playing Facing Worlds (on original UT) and the second you stepped out of your temple you got your head blasted off by snipers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 21:09
in games like America's Army Snipers give a good role and feel to the game; only by using teamwork can you defeat enemies like that or use them as cover fire.

but in UT/Quake it's just sad and annoying.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2004 21:30 Edited at: 13th Jun 2004 21:32
Quote: " play C&C online. Was never good at that, but when your 1minute in and the other guy comes at you with like an entire army of vehicles and destroys you. It's like WTF!?! where's the fun in that?"

yep. I think there has yet to be a mainstream RTS game that doesn't involve mindless army building- instead of actuall war stratgey and tactics.

Infact, I think the best strategy game I have ever played would be Advanced Wars. Its not who builds the most units faster(although it helps sometimes), in most cases, its how effectivily you use the units you build.

Quote: "America's Army Snipers give a good role and feel to the game"

America's Army is a great (free ) game. I love the team play approach, as well as the honor system.

In fact, I like FPS that have a "slow paced" approach

Amist the Blue Skies...
Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 06:44
What's America's Army? there was a guy on SOCOM the other night who was talking about it and saying it was free, i thought he was talking about a free PS2 game so i just ignored him.

Xbox may have better servers but my opinion is that the games on xbox are absolutely craptastic and boring. the Halos are probably the only good games on xbox, most of the other games are crap.

@ mr flibble their is a guy who is named mr flibble on ps2 hardware but it's probably a coinkidink.

FPS's are cool! (my fav genre). can't wait til timesplitters 3 comes out

Anyways
cya later
Axelman

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 09:57 Edited at: 14th Jun 2004 09:58
http://www.americasarmy.com

free...?

Free is good!

Amist the Blue Skies...
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 12:10
I like the voice links - was playing socom a couple of months back genuine - conversation heard:

voice 1: what does a grendae launcher do?

big pause

voice 2: errr, it launches grenades

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2004 15:49
lol@Karlos

America's Army although it was obviously suppose to be a propoganda game has turned out to be one of the best Team Class Based games out there, and yeah it's free.
It uses the Unreal2X engine and is designed with the help of the US Army to be as close to acurate military training/missions as possible.

It's a hefty 780MB download for the full thing (when i started using it was only 310MB which for a 56k was large)... but if your into Counter-Strike and such then it is really a must get game.
Now that most of the newbies have got bored of it, the community is mostly made up of teams that face each other online; no more commando run in and get killed, people work as teams to get objectives done.
Slow and Atmospheric

Like Unreal2X you can also use voice in it like SoCom. Alot of PC Games like Counter-Strike use it and have done well before it was a feature in console games.

Axelman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 11:00
That AA game sounds pretty gooid...
... except for the bit where raven said it's 780 mb's!

2 REASONS.
my parents don't let me download crap like that.
my video card is absolute crap so my computer is only used for work.

anyways, as i first said in my first at the start of this thread, i recommend internet gaming to everyone, PS2, Xbox, GC or PC

Cya later
Axelman

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:55:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:55:36