Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Where's the DBPro Shader demo?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't find it anywhere. I want to test it on my FX 5200 like Van-B said a few days ago.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 19:33
Help - Examples - Basic 3D - Showcase

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Is that in DBPro? I thought it was a download. I don't have DBPro.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 21:44
Okay....

You want to know where the DBPro shader demo is -it's in DBPro. It really does make alot of sense!

If you're after something to benchmark your card, maybe there's a compiled version around. Our you could try 3DMark, probably give you some nicer effects.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 21:46 Edited at: 15th Jun 2004 21:47
I wanted to see what my card could do with DBPro. So that I can decide what to do with it when I buy it. I don't want the dBPro Demo because it might do something that the full version doesn't, and I don't like demo versions of full programs.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 22:41 Edited at: 15th Jun 2004 22:42
If you want the compiled version, let me know and I'll compile and send it to you. Dont see any problems there...

The place for great plug-ins and things.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the TCA way...
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to try the compiled version. I'll Email you.

teh game wiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 23:05
btw, i got the same card and it works fine:
geforce fx 5200
amd xp barton 2500 +
512mb ram.... and lot of other good specs

http://www.elliot-dickerson.co.uk W0000000000000000000T
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2004 23:28
I think I've found the one you want - its on the way.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Got it Thanks!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 12:35
The shader demo I was talking about does'nt come with source, but really shaders are about 50 times easier to apply than I thought - Get DBPro this instant Mr.Paxton!. There is one for the built in effects, and one for the new update 5 effects, this demo is not supplied with DBPro and is purely .fx files, probably the most notable being the water shader (it may have come from DBDN, but I suppose that's not a big issue now).

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 12:48
Are you thinking of the nVidia's shader editor thing ?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 12:53
Nah, there's a standalone demo that TGC released a while back - it's got bubble.fx, metal.fx, cartoon.fx etc etc - It uses that rock model, a sphere, and a high poly plain and applies the different shaders to them in sequence.

You see the row of renders on the main page here with the purple blob and the brown blob and the water? - they were all done with the shader demo. It is a big download though - I mean there's a 10mb cubemap in there!.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
And nobody knows where the demo is?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 12:58
Thought they were taken from the Shader demo program in DBPro... If not, it might be an idea to e-mail Rich and see if he's got it...

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 15:56
Quote: "You see the row of renders on the main page here with the purple blob and the brown blob and the water?"

Do you mean these ones?

If so then I'd like to see the demo too!

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 16:01
Thems the ones! - Maybe someone should do a search, I'm pretty sure I got them from a link here, then again (by accident, thought they were something else) from DBDN. IIRC one of the demos was called FPS EFFECTS or something like that.

Maybe Rich will drop by later and post the link for us - he's probably still in bed the lazy monkey .

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 16:36
Hehe, monkey.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 17:10
Nah they're not on the site Van.
The 6 Shaders you see above were released within DBDN, there are only 3 Shaders actually released to the community:

Rainbow, Metal & Cartoon. The Cartoon one is jittery as hell and quite frankly not the easiest to get working, so most people haven't been able to, the Metal one is hidden away in the Compiler/Effects directory ... which really leaves only the Rainbow one.

The DBDN community have alot more shaders that TGC created floating about, perhaps when they finally merge the two communtities we'll have them all. As Bubble is 'suppose' to be quite good (and was the ony promised to be in 1.05.0)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2004 17:35
Reckon if I upload it to DBSpot I'll get in trouble?

I've done a sweep of all the shaders on my PC, and I have...
Simple.fx - A sorta shiny look, a lot of shaders look like this when things go wrong (no textures for example).
Aniso.fx - Similar to above - probably just the same but textured.
Cartoon.fx - Not great cartoon shading, but I reckon it might look cool in a colourful arcadey game.
Bubble.fx - Makes a purple blob from your mesh, wobbles and looks shiny,pretty decent all-in-all.
Metal.fx - The daddy, metal looks damn cool on my FX5200.
Water.fx - A pretty good water shader.
Bump.fx - Guess, uses normalised bump maps, which look a bit like stereo microscope images, or a colourful emboss.
Rainbow.fx - Not entirely sure how usefull this is, a bit like sphere mapping a vomit texture.

There is a little proggy with DBPro (hidden away) that is like a little browser for fx file, load them in, mess with the settings and watch the results - if someone added a little IDE, then we could have our own WYSIWYG shader development system. Besides the point I know, but I'll see if I can get something together for Pinch tonight - probably not come with that nVIDIA lobby cubemap though!.

Van-B

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! It should be good for DBPro sales anyway. Should be easily available to everyone.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 13:08
Quote: "The 6 Shaders you see above were released within DBDN, there are only 3 Shaders actually released to the community:

Rainbow, Metal & Cartoon. The Cartoon one is jittery as hell and quite frankly not the easiest to get working, so most people haven't been able to, the Metal one is hidden away in the Compiler/Effects directory ... which really leaves only the Rainbow one."

Sorry, you're wrong there. I'm not on DBDN and I have the following shaders:

Simple.fx
Aniso.fx
Bubble.fx
Bump.fx
Cartoon.fx
Rainbow.fx

The only ones I do not have are Water.fx and Metal.fx but I hear you can obtain them by emailing Lee and simply asking for them anyway. I have no idea where you got your figures from but they're most definately not right.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 13:17
Did you find the shader browser thing too? - I'm sure that's where I got Simple.fx and Aniso.fx.

Ohh, and any idea what Aniso and Simple does?

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 13:52
Yeah, the Shader MiniBrowser is just one of the sample projects that are included with DBP's Help Documentation. When I was testing it several months ago it wasn't working for me so Lee had to send me a new version compiled with the latest upgrade (which was going to be U6 at the time) which worked fine. Just one example of how shader support has improved already.

Aniso.fx is just applies an Anisotropic filter to the object which makes it look like it does when viewed in the browser, anisotropic literally means 'not normal' so there isn't a simple explanation of what it's supposed to look like, it just looks like what it does lol.

No idea what Simple.fx does though.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:50
Did anyone try those composer FX shaders with dbpro yet? I was planning to this weekend.

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 20:38
I can't seem to find them... i know i had an FX broswer at one point (still didn't have all the shaders the dbdn had and were planned for release).

What's annoying from a developers point of view is the documentation on how DBP handles Shaders is just crap.
Without cracking open some DLLs there are alot of problems i'd of faced which the help just doesn't cover.

And still the best way to get Shaders working is to use the ASM Shaders now that it works properly as they're fully featured; the FX aren't yet.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 01:16
@Raven

"I can't seem to find them... i know i had an FX broswer at one point"

Mine is located under Dark Basic Professional->Help->examples->basic3D titled "basic3d7-example".

@megaton

"Did anyone try those composer FX shaders with dbpro yet? I was planning to this weekend."

I assume you mean FX composer? The answer is yes. We've managed to get several up and running though there are a few shaders that can't be run in DBPro at this time do to the lack of procedural texture generation support among other things.

You can find the thread dealing with them here:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=28992&b=1

Tucked away in their is my modification to the cartoon shader that came with DBPro. I modified it to allow for a texture as well as a shader image. It should be much more usefull now.

@Everyone

In case anyone needs to know where these shaders are hidden, you can find the following shaders in the full version of DBPro:

Under Dark Basic Professional->Help->examples->basic3d->fx you'll find three folders. Aniso, Bubble, and Simple each of which contain a shader named after the folder.

You can also find bump, cartoon, and rainbow under Dark Basic Professional->Compiler->effects.

Also, if anyone is interested, here is TGC's water.fx shader:

You will have to have the WaterBump, WaterEnvMap, and WaterGradient tga files in the same directory as the shader in order for the shader to work.

WaterBump is a regular normal map. WaterEnvMap...well...I assume it is an environment map but looking at it in the gimp it looks like just some green procedural texture someone created with a noise shader.

WaterGradient is 258 pixels in width, 1 pixel in height. It is basically filled with near black pixels(by that I mean they look black to the human eye but they are just above an rbg value of 0, 0, 0).

Their is also a WaterSurface Xfile in their that is basically just a highly tesselated plane. I'd host all this stuff if I could but I don't have the webspace.

The thread I got this from is here:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=24922&b=2

Scroll down to where Xantus posts. I don't know if the dl link still works or not though.

As for the Metal.fx, I don't have that so I can't really comment. I'm sure if anyone emailed Lee and asked nice he'd give it too them.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 03:08:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 03:08:35