Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Programming in the real world?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 20:14
I am going to college for a computer programming degree/computer science. I have to select 2 "tracks" to learn. I am looking for opinions from people who program for a living on what languages are best to know to land a job my options for study are:
C, Visual C++, Visual basic, and java.

also what is the difference between C and C++? Isn't C++, an expanded version of C or is it a completely different language?
Thanks,
Kevin
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
C++, and then I'd go with Java. Visual BASIC is easy. You can learn that yourself.

C++ is a 'next verion' of C. In C++, '++' is an operator that you use on variables to increment it by one. Hence the '++'. See, programmers do have a sense of humor

I'm surprised they aren't offering anything .NET though. If they are, go with that.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 20:59
I would start with C. Once you know C, C++ becomes easy and it's a base for lots of other languages.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 21:41
C++ is like C, but it's object oriented. It also has many other capabilities that C doesn't. Many still prefer C, however.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " would start with C. Once you know C, C++ becomes easy and it's a base for lots of other languages."

Nah, contrary to popular belief, it isn't really necessary to know C before C++. C++ is just as easy as C. If you learn C just so you can learn C++, you're really just wasting you're time. I'd just go with CPP.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 00:40 Edited at: 18th Jun 2004 00:41
Quote: "also what is the difference between C and C++?"

C is 100% backwards compatiple with C++ (you can program with C in a C++ compiler) they are so much the same.

However, C++ has added ability for Object-Oriented Programming...

Many people mistake C++ to be harder then C just because of its capablities. However, just because C++ does more advanced things doesn't make it harder to learn the basic; you can ALWAYS use C++ as a "Better C".

My advice, Aim at learning C++ first

Amist the Blue Skies...
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 00:50
Quote: "C is 100% backwards compatiple with C++"

You got that backwards.
C++ is 100% backwards compatible with C.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 00:51
oops
you know what I mean

Amist the Blue Skies...
KevinC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 01:59
Thanks for the input. I am not really worried about which is harder/easier to learn, I have programmed in C and basic already for other classes, but what background would help more in searching for a job. I have talked to support people for the company I work for and the 2 newest applications we use 1 was made in visual basic and the other was made using C++.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:11
you'll find from those languages C++ is the most prolific in the current job market with visual basic and java close behind.

Companies like to use java because it is new so they think they are more advanced and can show off by using it.

I'd recommend C++ and Java - both OO which is the way to go. VB can be picked up easily on the way if you know those 2.

Check a site like jobserve.co.uk to see where the bulk of the jobs are.

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:17 Edited at: 18th Jun 2004 17:18
Quote: "Companies like to use java because it is new"

Java isn't new, it's old. Unless you think a 9 year old programming language is new, well then, yes, it is new.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:25
Java has no pointers. Can't do somethings in it that i can do in C++. Goodbye windows blue screen code.....

Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:31
'new' is a relative term - i've worked in a hell of a lot companies that use cobol,c,natural and the like.

Java has evolved and is used often as a buzzword by management who see it as the platform to upgrade to and see it as the forefront of technology. I've not heard .net mentioned much yet lately.

no need to be picky

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:34:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:34:59