Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DarkBASIC or 3D Game Maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 21:36
I'm knew to game making. I am working on a game using a non-registered version of Game Maker 5.I'm thinking about getting DarkBASIC or 3d Game Maker.

Which is better?

Which should I get?
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
DarkBASIc, it's a script wo you have more freedom...
3D GameMaker is a drag and drop simple gamecreator that is not as advanced and is less customisable because it can own only make certain kinds of game, DarkBASIC is simply the way to go.

Got anime?
I do.
GameKit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:00
DarkBASIC... 3D GameMaker is not very powerful... The only thing 3D GameMaker is useful for is FPS(First Person Shooters)... I would definitely recommend DarkBASIC. Although it requires coding skills, the language is very easy to use and understand. Download the trial version of DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional and follow a few tutorials and you will be making high quality 3D games in no time...

well...I hope I helped...

PS: I've used GameMaker also, It's very nice for making simple 2D games

Programming isn’t an addiction, its more of a mental and social dependancy.
gamer3000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:05
thanx
Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:09
Prefably darkbasic pro. At first you may not notice a huge difference between DB and DBpro but once you gain a bit of experience DBpro shall open more options to create better games.
gamer3000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2004 22:11
Should i try regular DB first though?
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 06:01
I like DarkBasic... but mabey thats becuase its the only thing I have, and I have a grudge against Pro

But i've heard Pro has a lot of bugs to still be worked out, I havent seen any in Classic

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 06:06
Definitely go with DarkBasic. I have classic, and was kinda wishing I could have gotten pro. But then I found out that Pro has lots of bugs, so I'm happy with DBC. If you'll notice, most of the games that are in the showcase and are featured in the newsletter were written in DBC. I will be getting DBPro soon, but until they get the next updates out, I'm sticking with DBC. Just my $.02.

Dgamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Pro's bugs will eventually be fixed. Id go with Pro

Putang ina mo
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear DBPro is easier to use than DarkBASIC, so I'd say go with, that...

Got anime?
I do.
Static
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 15:27
You can just use the DBpro demo intill you decide to buy it's the same as the retail product exept when you run your program it shows a DB logo at the bottom right.
Alasdair
Years of Service
User Offline
DB classic has one bug if u try to roll the middle mouse button the screen goes all weird

Ireland!!!!!!!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 19:27
Errr... well, i rolled the middle wheel and nothing happened, no bug for me...

Guhill The friendly one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 19:35 Edited at: 20th Jun 2004 19:35
Yeah, DarkBASIC Pro is what you want because it's way faster (when you loop music it doesn't stop for as long when the music is starting all over again like in DarkBASIC classic.

Quote: "PS: I've used GameMaker also, It's very nice for making simple 2D games "

You can make 2D games in the "3D" Gamemaker?

I know now, without a doubt, that Kingdom Hearts... IS LIGHT (Sora)
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 21:30
I'm sure he was refering to just the normal GameMaker, which makes 2D games.

Rennekon
Years of Service
User Offline
As in this game maker. Its actually rather good.
http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/ If you don't like darkBASIC try that out. It's free and a good starter.

John "Dark Lord of Angel Destroying Destiny" Pringlebee, maybe?
SandraD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 23:03
Well, for not having even enhanced my DB Classic as it came in the box I'm not sure I could comment on Pro/Classic issue, but it seems to me that a programming language form like Dark Basic is more flexible than any animated process. In that way, you can't get caught trying to do something the modeller won't allow you to do, or having to break out into some other code format in order to do it. So I'd say, either Pro or Classic, but DB for sure.

S.

Any truly great code should be indisguishable from magic.
Raithe
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, I have registerd version of gamemaker 5.3, But I got bored of making 2d game's and I wanted to find something to make 3d game's with ease But not taking all the power out of it sounding like 3d game maker would sound's retrictful... I just barely found out dark basic pro,and so far it seem's reletivly easy.. Im hoping to buy it soon 80$ is alot of money for me sadly BUT IM GOING TO GET IT!!! But yeah I recommend db pro.

~Ellusion Games~
xXxLife is like a box of chocalate's there's always one's you dont likexXx
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Basic. Nothing you make in the 3D Crapmaker is original. It's all just prebuilt, which is not very good material mind you (e.g. unoriginal level layouts, dated graphics).

If you're really not all that sure, just get the Dark Basic Lite version. That's what I did.

Pentium4 3GHZ, 512MB DualChannel RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT, SoundBlaster Audigy2, 120 GB HD.
Tuntis
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't use the classic DB because it's fullscreen and my stupid graphics card makes screen blinking when I use DB Classic.
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2004 10:28
Dark Edit and DBC v1.13 enhanced can let you work and test in windowed mode.

Infra-Dark
Leon J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 01:55
Quote: "You can make 2D games in the "3d" Gamemaker"

You can't, but with Gamemaker 5, you can actually make 3d games

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2004 03:22 Edited at: 1st Jul 2004 03:24
Well if you have money to burn then I would suggest starting with DBC and moving to DBPro after more of the bugs have been worked out.

Classic has a number of advantages, including a much better system of on-the-fly program changing.

Also, WAY more people will be able to play what you make because it doesn't require the latest version of DX to run.

Classic does have glitches, especialy with certain kinds of 3d rotation, but all of the ones I've encountered are easy to work around.

<edit> I should add that I've been using DB for almost 5 years (most of its life) and I do have Pro, so I know what I am talking about when comparing the two

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 15:39:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 15:39:10