Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum Compatibility For Opera (7.51)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 01:11
Currently, the reply functionality in the forums (possibly the create topic functionality as well, haven't tested that) does not work in Opera and I would highly appreciate it if this problem could be fixed. It's a pain having to switch browsers constantly just to post something.

On a side note, I think that this website would benefit from leveraging CSS more for design/layout purposes because it will make the pages load a LOT faster. I can help rewrite the code (no website access needed, I'll just put my code somewhere for the webmasters to look at) to make it faster. Please feel free to email me (megamanxplosion@hotmail.com) if you want my opinions/advice on the subject. I have 9 years of HTML/XHTML and CSS experience.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 01:17
There will be a new site shortly-ish, so you shouldn't have to wait long to see if there is still a problem.

The place for great plug-ins and things.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the TCA way...
megamanx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 01:53
That's good to know, thanks for your reply TCA
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 02:08
I'm using opera 7.23, and I don't have any problems.

megamanx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 03:03
I think I have found the problem in the source code. I'm currently rewriting it a little bit to make it cleaner and fix some of the validation issues with the reply-code. The submit button isn't actually a submit button, it's just a normal button which validates the fields upon being clicked and then the JavaScript submits the form, which is causing the problem. A better way to write this sectin of code would be like...

The above HTML code has been cleaned up in several ways and *might* require a few tweaks to the CSS file, nothing major though. One of the hidden input fields has been taken out of the table because it doesn't belong there (it wasn't even in a cell), all of the attributes have been quoted properly (cellpadding=0 became cellpadding='0'), plus a few other changes.

Then you'd just need to alter the javascript for form validation so that it returns true or false (I've never had the need to stop form submission so I cannot verify that the true/false thing would work) and remove the code to submit the form, which should hopefully stop or allow the form submission by using true/false. This would be a more suitable approach since it no longer requires javascript to submit the form and will allow non-JS browsers to post messages also.

I hope this helps the webmaster fix this annoying problem

If you would like some more of my ideas on what could be done to the site to improve it, feel free to ask me. I know for a fact that the website could be written a little better for search engines. For some examples: the JS-menus on the top and side cannot be crawled by search engines, which hurts DB's listing in the search results pages which means less exposure of DB and less people to test the product on lower-end machines which means that improvements to DB's speed could be slowed down, and the developers could be losing money to products like BlitzBasic or other 3D engines out there, etc. etc. It's a big domino effect. The titles of the webpages are not descriptive and do not help search engines or regular users, plus a few other things which could be done to improve the user experience and increase the exposure of DB.

Like I said, I'm more than willing to contribute
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 06:54
Like we said, a new forum should be up shortly

"Could you do something where you don't need a video card cause i don't have one" - Program Expert
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 11:58
I know Rich (who built these forums) is also a web designer - I think he may want to do the job himself

However I was surprised that tables were used so much in these forums - I expected it be a whole load of CSS

One problem I have, well its not really a problem, is that on my Win Xp IE 6 setup I can't view -> source; the menu item does nothing. I can view source on other sites though.

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 12:01
I always took that to mean the source is protected.

megamanx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 13:05
Mattman: Yes, I'm aware of that. I was hoping that maybe it could be fixed here until the new forum is up, or to make sure the new forum will avoid this problem. It doesn't hurt to try helping

David T: I'm not trying to take over anyone's job, I'm just simply giving my input on ways to improve the site.

TCA: Protecting the source code is a silly idea. I've seen every trick imaginable, it's simply not possible and protecting HTML code is a big waste of time, for several reasons. For one, I can just open up ANY non-IE browser and view the source code. Two, I could just look in my cache folder. Three, protecting source code is no different than the "Don't Click!" links, everyone clicks them, which means that you are actually giving the users a challenge to crack the code, you're tempting them to do it. I think that the site would be better off if this issue was corrected. Just my opinion...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 13:50
I sure Rich has a good reason for disabling it

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 22:41
Nah, it's impossible to hide page source - as much as some people would like to do so It's probably just IE being crap - Firebird will view the source perfectly.

The forum was built to work with Opera 7.0 (which it does), I have not tested it with 7.5, although obviously they've changed something in how it handles JS.

The new build is fully standards compliant (XHTML 1.0 Transitional).

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 22:47
Quote: "Nah, it's impossible to hide page source - as much as some people would like to do so It's probably just IE being crap - Firebird will view the source perfectly"

Yeah, when I used Mozilla it worked fine. I'm interested into what is making to glitch though

Two strings walk into a bar. I'll have a pint says the first$%ASLDJ09920D"$"$D. Excuse my friend says the second, he isn't null terminated.
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 06:22
I have 7.51 and it works.

megamanx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 17:23
Strange. Today Opera is working and I haven't changed my configuration... Oh well, it's working now

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:45:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:45:37