Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Not the best peoples...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Peoples...Making 2D games in Darkbasic is EXTREMLY HARD! though possible... and is rather limited...especially with the lack of animation slots...which is why I recommend this:

1. For making 2D Games (NO 3D!) use Game Maker, you can download it at http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html , you don't need to know the language, but if you want to do advanced things you better learn it...you can most rely on the drag 'n drop options... this program is NOT LIMITED AT ALL! Its for 2D Games ONLY though...
2. I say we all use sprites 'n stuff for buttons and menus... interface stuff...
If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 22:37
Been there, tried it ages ago , NOT very powerfull.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 23:35
I have it since the dawn of my CG tries...never used it much but it does create 2d games without licensing fees and it's free but I never could find how to use the language...Couldn't you just load up some code and compile instead of using scripts?

and like simple said...It's not THAT powerful..DBPro is much easier/faster.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 00:46
"and like simple said...It's not THAT powerful..DBPro is much easier/faster."
That's true (although I find it very easy to use). However it's quite good for testing things out. And it has improved during the years.
The scripting language is very well written. It allows Pascal-style (yeah, I love it) or C style scripting.

But the major advantage is: The games run very well on low-end machines (requires DirectX version 6 instead of version 8). If you just want to write a simple scrolling shooter or something like that for "office computers" (don't forget to implement a Boss-Key!) Gamemaker is a nice and handy tool.

Ogres have layers.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 01:26
Yeah I know,you can get something done as fastas in Db with it....Even without using the built-in functions.

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
HAHAHA! you all make me laugh so hard! you think its weak huh? your all so funny...pathetic really... If you think its weak you've oviouly never harnessed the full power of it... Massive RPGs...Isometric Adventures (you can do this in DB 3D though...), Classics... ANYTHING! I made awsome RPG Engines and Adventure Games with it... you may not think its powerful but trust me...thats cause you never even tried! Sure...in DB the game is faster, more customizable and is obviously 10000000% better but the thing is in DB:
1. ITS HARD TO MAKE A GAME IN 2D! supposes you want to make an RPG Game such as FF3 you need to do collision events for all the tiles... and then load up the current info before going into a battle room...in Game Maker its a sinch
2. You need to total waste most of the time cataloging images and making animation systems... and cinematic systems... in Game Maker its so fast and easy!

I never said Game Maker is better... its obviously no match for DB but really folks... you gotta admit its alot better and easier to use than DB...not only that but technically they have the same power...they both can use DLLS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! meaning they are equal competitors...but the point is that for 2D Purposes I believe that Game Maker may be preferable... no 2D limitations either!

P.S. I never used the code part and still made massive RPG Engines! just use Variables! (though code is 500% better!)

If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
oh and actarus... Scripts are reusable code...much like subroutines/functions... they have nothing to do with compiling and testing...

I feel guilty using it since its drag 'n drop but technically its a language since it has the code/variable part... I recommend you use 2D only for menus and buttons... Game Maker for a Game!

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 06:07
I'm sorry I just have never seen anything impressive made in it...good thing for you if so....it seems.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 14:01
*I'm sorry I just have never seen anything impressive made in it...good thing for you if so....it seems. *

Dito !!!

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 00:34
can we see your amazing 2d RPG then since u made the claim or is this an unwarranted application rant.?

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 00:48
um... why are we advertising other apps on the DB forums now?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 01:13
Admittedly DB is more suited to 3d but I find its 2d perfectly addiquate, and the option to add 3d plains or effects is always nice. Gamemaker is fun, but doesn't have the real potential I want. However, freeware that lets you make games with no royalties is a pretty damn good idea

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 01:21
why are we advertising other apps on the DB forums now?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 02:38
-why are we advertising other apps on the DB forums now?

Personally,I don't use it anymore but why is cartography shop advertised if it's a BB product?

sometimes,some questions are just remain unanswered.

BTW:Ever just had a look at the French Official forums?OMG it's so full of that!

ironhoof
Years of Service
User Offline
Limited SLOTS? howso.. Are you all using the sprites AS IS?
Yow that is limited the RPGDTE is made in DarkBasic and I can use many many more sprites through pasting and blitting.
There is no sprite function used AT ALL in the RPGDTE.

and its nice and fast specially if you have the right vid card.

-----\
There was a man on the stairs that wasn't there.
He wasn't there agian today I think he's from the CIA.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 07:06
I don't mean to be an ass, but DBS gets upset about these things.
And CShop is being sold here because it can work in conjunction with DBP. Or so they claim, it may work fine with .x maps, but the BSP converter is a load of balony from what I've seen.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 12:00
Can we have a rule that anyone singing the praises of a development system has to proove it? - or even better, can they just not bother?

DBPro's sprites work in any resolution, are incredibly fast, and can be rotated, scaled, stretched - using extremely straightforward commands. How easy does it have to be for cryin out loud!.

Van-B
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 14:11
-, but the BSP converter is a load of balony from what I've seen

lmao

-How easy does it have to be for cryin out loud!.

I don't know....Maybe some people need to actually talk with the PC to get to their user friendly standards. lol

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 17:52
From what i can tell van people arn't gonna be happy until you just have to type "make game" and bob's ya uncle ...
ya seen the suggestions forum, alot of it is just people wanting to become ridiculously lazy.

if you don't want to put in the effort to develop something worthwhile then you really shouldn't be here. Just like everyone who seems to think they can build a team and let them do all the work, which is no doubt why everyone now is like "be in a team, erm no thanks!"
which is really sad because it helps development to have a bunch of people specilising areas.

and i'm kinda confused here, if the person who posted this is here to say its better than db std|enh|pro or if they're here to flagrantly pan a product most of us haven't even heard of

ho hum back to Rose's project

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Benny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 21:22
I don't see the point in easy-to-use software like clickteam's tgf or mmf. you still have to spend ages on them, so why bother programing with software that may be easy to use but won't teach you anything about making really good games in DB? if you ask me there's no point going to the bother of learning a programming language that's so limited.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry Ya'll... I didn't mean to "offend you pure DB lovers", personaly I haven't used the proggram for 3 months either (not once in this month), but it came to my attention that for those purposes I'll leave it to Game Maker...

The only reason I posted this post was not to offend you but to introduce a proggram to HELP YOU

HELP
ASSIST
FACILITATE

You all mock me and I wwas just hoping to show you a possible easier way!

Thanks alot jerks! >

P.S. You don't have the right to force me to show you anything, If I want to I will but you can't make that a rule... I'll show you a snapshot IF I can find it... as you all know when you install Win Xp it totaly deletes your Documents folder... I guess I'll just have to re-create it.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 22:56
actarus: Is that a LMAO your right, or LMAO your wrong?
TGWDNGHN: No, but if someone wanted to be an ass they could ban you or something. Anyway, I'm interested as a matter of fact. It be a fun and easy way to make a little or big 2D game. I've always wanted to make a 2D RPG, but KNP, CNC and such just arn't powerful enough.
Raven: If there was a Make Game command, I'm not sure I'd use it. I like MAKING the actual game more than playing it. Go figure out that one eh?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 00:03
lmao,you're right.

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow... trite dillema, people start pick'n on you till theres that one guy in the end who saves you...lol

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 05:31
? Does that make me a hypocrite?

Anyway, what is the title of this post supposed to be?
"Not the best peoples..."???

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2002 06:21
actually, Game Maker 4 is really powerful in a way, it just depends on what you use it for. I once made a AOE strategy game that was not too bad a while ago, but I lost it in a crash

''Mmmm.. Tastes like Nazca!''
r1ck14
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a Game Maker user, and I'll have to agree with TGWDNGHN.
While I'll admit that most games made with gm suck, there are quite a few that stand out from the rest. http://www.r1ck14.cjb.net is my gm games site. check out the games i've made on the games page, the lower down the game is on the page, the newer/better it is. My "chain reaction" puzzle game got a 9/10 on gamehippo.com
I think if you really wanna compare gm made games with professional games, you should check out my Metroid demo located at http://www.geocities.com/webmaster2x/metroid.html

That demo is 2 weeks in the making.

DB was designed mostly for 3d, and gm was designed for 2d, so you can't really compare them on an even playing field

Note* I'm not here to spam about my games or site, I'm just giving an example of what gm can do.

r1ck14
Years of Service
User Offline
actually, the link for the metroid game dl page is
http://geocities.com/webmaster2x/metroid.html

(why does the "www" mess up a geocities url? lol)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:27:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:27:02