Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Web question - best single file text/image format?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 13:58
Hi,

When I get a sec I hope to do some tutorials, and I'm just thinking - I don't want to have to upload a stack of html/jpgs each time I change something or update them, so I was planning to use html/jpgs locally while I author the tuturials, then save them as .mht (web archive, single file) and upload that single file per tutorial, to make it easier for me. So, I wondered, do .mht's display on non-IE browsers? Or is there a better format/way I should do it that anyone can recommend? .zip would be ok for download-able only, but I want the content viewed online, .zip would only be for media if its needed.

Cheers.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 14:19
PDF could be your answer, which is nice because printing HTML pages sucks (I always prefer to print tutorials), if you write it in Word or something, get it laid out nice - then print to a .PDF file (there are free .PDF printer drivers), folks will be able to read your tutorial online, and also print it out exactly like you intended.

It does'nt really afford itself to slight modifications, but .PDF's are reasonably compacted so uploading a fresh .PDF won't be too troublesome.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:17
Thanks Van, I didn't know you could create .pdf's for free. Do you have any links to a recommeded .pdf printer drivers? I have MS-Word...

Something like this maybe, http://www.pdf995.com/download.html

Cheers,
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:34 Edited at: 18th Jun 2004 16:35
Yeah that should be fine, there are a few variations, but all you need is a free version of Acrobat Distiller, that's the name of the PDF printer system that comes with Acrobat - but really the commercial value of Acrobat is in the security benefits of protecting sensitive documents yet sharing them at the same time - simply creating PDF files is something that Adobe has kindly let us do for free, you'd need the full version of Acrobat if you wanted to change the PDF file, or add more features (other than just the 'printed' pages).

If you can't get your tut's into PDF format for whatever reason, I'd be happy to convert them for you.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:22
Thanks Van, thats very kind of you Mind you, I need to start writing something first...hee hee. Time is not on my side, but my intentions are good.

See ya.
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 15:02
Hi,

Quick update...I've tried this one out - http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp, and it works ok, the only things that didn't appear to work were the hyperlinks, they work in the word doc, but not in Acrobat Reader (do any links work in a PDF?), and also when I click the thumnails in Reader, they are all blank. The rest of the doc looks spot on though.

But not too bad considering I didn't know you could do this stuff!

Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:42:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:42:18