Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Big Brother - is it worthy of our attention?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 15:36
Big Brother this year sucks, the producers have killed it with their irritating attempts to be controversial.

I usually watch it quite a lot - this year I've seen 2 minutes of it, and I can't really be bothered watching any more.

Is anyone actually enjoying this years debacle?

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 15:58
I never watched big brother. and i don't have the feeling, that I missed something

... they call it a royale with cheese ...
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 15:59
if you saw it last night - you'd be shocked - right proper fisticuffs - they've even cancelled tonights eviction so they can sort things out.

The producers have gone way ott this time. I liked it when i got to know the people and even liked some of them.

Don't care who wins this year - they're all numpties

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Football management - Football Manager
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I've watched nearly all of it, and it's been entertaining, but only because it is so bad. To deliberately create arguments on TV, and ruin someones reputation is unacceptable. I have already complained to Ofcom about it, and about Distraction. I'm fed up of Channel 4's bad TV.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:06
Haven't watched it at all - and haven't watched previous versions either.

The place for great plug-ins and things.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the TCA way...
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:08
Big Brother is a perfect example of how much TV has gone down the toilet. I mean, we pay for this rubbish, who wants to watch a bunch of boring people do next to nothing in a boring house? Nothing interesting happens, and I dont really call fighting entertainment. Its sick if you ask me, the producers are turning the nation into a load of sick, spying perverts (because thats what all the controversy boils down to) and they should be whipped in public for this disgrace to our screens.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 16:42
Good good, glad I'm not alone in my tireless resentment of pop-tv. I can't stand another reality TV show, they're full of complete twats now. Anyone remember Real World London? - really the first show of it's type, a dozen or so studenty types living in a huge house in London, there was a great variety of people, everything from toff-nosed bitches to grungey metal guitarists - that was an awesome series, very interesting.

Now we get crud like Big Brother, even celebrities are having to go on reality TV to get any sort of work - it's a disgrace and I would'nt be surprised if there was some major changes round the corner - TV stars bound to be majorly pissed at the situation. Home makeover reality shows are the worst - yet we have about 10 different incarnations over 5 bloomin channels!.

The exception would be Hells Kitchen, simply because the sexiest English woman on the planet was in it. Edwin... I mean Jennifer Ellison cor.

Rant over... for now

Van-B

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:13
Quote: "I mean, we pay for this rubbish"

Well not really, you pay the electicity bill and that's it. Unless you mean Pay TV, but then there's probably more Reality shows on free to air anyway.

In any case, I don't watch any of it, I saw the first episode of the first Big Brother (Australian one of course) and never watched it again.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:29
I meant TV lisences.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Tv Licences are only for BBC.

flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:40
have you guys seen the aussie Big Brother. They ran out of ideas to the point of putting Miriam in it. Now thats sad.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:51
Actually I believe the money received from the TV license is spread across all TV companies (BBC, ITV, C4 and C5), plus Sky.
I dont think its all exclusively for the BBC.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 17:56
I've never heard of the damn show...

Trying to get my sig up!
Damn you Angelfire!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 18:03 Edited at: 18th Jun 2004 18:05
I believe the reason why BBC does not have adverts and the other channels do is because the BBC is funded by the TV license. If everyone got a chunk, the BBC would play adds too, which is why BBC radio play ads (because you dont pay for a license for that). Also, the license fee would have gone up by about 1/5th when Ch5 came into operation, but it didn't.

But on the subject of big brother, I personally havent ever watched any of them closely, but I'm loving this years big brother. I actually stop what I'm doing to watch it. I think if people are stupid enough to go onto a game show and forget the fact they are on live TV 24/7 then they deserve everything they get. Violence and mass arguments are about the only thing entertaining about it!

I look at the calibre of people who go on big brother and I sometimes have to remind myself they come from the same country as me. It's almost like the requirement to get on there is to have the IQ of a lettuce. An example of how odd it is, is that the most rational, sensible and mature person on there is a bald headed homosexual psychology hobbiest called Dan.

Don't forget either that half of them will make a good buck or two from humiliating themselves. Look at that Jade bird from which ever BB it was. At the time, widely regarded as the most stupid and unattractive blonde in the universe, now gets on TV, in magazines, and people have forgotten how much of retard she was.

There's no long term damage, except to quality of television.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 18:06
Licensing fees pay for BBC channels, ITV, Channel5, and Channel4 all make their revenue through advertising - The BBC and ITV both have extra free-view channels, but you need a dish or a cable connection.

I reckon the BBC Licence is about £100 a year, but the BBC is heads and tails above ITV right now, simply because of 'Still Game' - the funniest show ever.

Van-B

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 18:11
What's this Still Game? Don't think I've seen it. Who's in it?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 18:12
... and surely it can't be as good as Black Adder.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I've never heard of Still Game either. I like 'Just For Laughs!' That's great!!!!!!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 19:14
Wot!

It's a Scottish comedy show about 2 old men and their pals, but it's sheer genius and not at all cheesy. Watch it tonight at 9:30 on BBC1, after that gimp Lenny Henry. It's repeated late on Sunday too.

Van-B

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 19:16
Ohh, it's Greg Hemphil and Ford Kiernan - they are responsible for 'Chewin The Fat' too.

Van-B

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 19:28
Quote: "It's a Scottish comedy"

Bwahah. Must have profuse swearing then!

But seriously, I'll check it out and give feedback later on tonight. ... but you just know it's gonna be one of those "bad episodes" that always seem to crop up when you introduce someone to a comedy you like.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 21:06
Yes, apparently the commerical companies get none of the license fee.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 21:20
Quote: " which is why BBC radio play ads"

Really?

I have never heard an advert on BBC radio.
Which station are you listening to?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 22:43
.... ... not a BBC one .. ?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 23:28
Quote: "Tv Licences are only for BBC."

If you have any equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you must pay the license, irrespective of whether you watch BBC, can receive BBC, or in fact use the receiver at all.

If you have a video player and only ever watch videos, you still have to pay the license 'cos it has a receiver in it.

But yes...the money does go to the BBC. How else would government ensure they had control over broadcasting?

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2004 23:55
Ever watched The Prisoner ?

Richard the_young
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 00:24
markos a wierdo sos daniel he boring
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
They tried big brother in the states for a bit, but it failed miserably. Frankly I didn't like the show, thought it was rather dull and the concept was hackneyed. We got survivor here as our first 'big' reality TV show. By then, Big Brother didn't feel like anything new.

Though to be quite honest I didn't watch survivor either. Heh.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 02:50
I've never liked big brother. I do watch some reality TV shows sometimes like survivor and Im a celebrity get me out of here, but only cos they do interesting things. From what I've seen of Big Brother, there are a bunch of boring people who walk around, make breakfast, talk about various monotonous things, have a wash, sleep and basically do everything I could watch in my own house without turning on the TV. Oh yeah, and they get stressy and upset when they have been away from their families for a day, and when someone doesn't put the toilet lid down. I mean, I turned the TV on once and they were showing a video of the sleeping... WTF!?! Who in their right mind wants to watch people sleeping? A load of bo**ocks if you ask me.

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 02:53
Just watched epidose 3 of the Prisoner. Classic stuff! Episode 4 just started. BBC4 is where it's at.

Have to also mention that Bo' Selecta started a new series tonight. How they get away with that show is beyond me but it is the funniest show on TV at the minute.

Boo!
Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 03:03
Not all the people in the Big Brother house are Numpties, Shell for example is lovely. Trouble is shes quiet, reserved and well mannered, so no-one notices her over all the loud shouty abusive ones I watch Big Brother kind of, as the misses has it on all the time, I think Shell is the only person in the house I would actually choose as a friend in real life, the others are backstabbing violent and quite offensive really.

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 12:59
Has anyone here ever read Ben Elton's Dead Famous? Its basically about a Big-Brother type show called House Arrest, except half-way through the third series a housemate is murdered and the programme turns into televised Cluedo.

The characters in there are supposed to be extreme spoofs however Channel 4's decision to feature Kitten, a "lesbian female anarchist", sounds awfully like a female version of Woggle to me.

Its ridiculous!

Anyhow, I haven't watched anything other than part of the launch night, which put me off.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 15:57
I watched big brother when it first started, with Nasty Nick and all that. One day, during a weeks holiday, I happened to be watching the full time interactive stuff on Sky, and realised that I had been watching some t**t reading a book for the last half hour outside in the lovely sun. I, of course, was inside watching the bloody TV. Needless to say I turned off, and went outside with a nice cold one. Haven't watched it since. Mindless drivel basically.

Oh, and it puts decent shows off the air, especially now that the US seems to be going the same way (Angel cancelled for a new dating show for example).

Give it 5 years and people won't care anymore... a long 5 years....

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:32:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:32:11