Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My Cd Key... my poor HL cdkey

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:05
Well, I installed steam today. Only to find out i can't use it because my CD key must come up in peoples key generators, because it is in use, so it won't let me online.

I tell you, this isn't even the first game this has happened with, it happened with starcraft. This is pissing me off...

Just had to get it off my mind

--Eric

"I like you... when the world is mine, you death shall be quick and painless"

Former name : Liquidz_Snake
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:20 Edited at: 19th Jun 2004 07:21
You could either contact the person you got the key from or use a key generator for your own key that you rightfully should own.

Anxiously awaiting BlueGUI v2
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:39
Well i got the CD key about 4 years ago when i bought a Half-life pack, thats the problem.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:45
contact the creators of the package. have your cdkey registered to you.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:47
Contact Valve about it. They'll sort everything out and make the bad non-paying b*tard go away

it happened to me when i went on steam too, i registered one version fine; but another version claimed someone else had it.
WON was just as bad though; you couldn't use more than one serial from a given connection though which really sucked (and partly why i have several copyies of the game)

Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 07:59
went to the steam website, they told me to goto the "troubleshooter". Quick Response, well after answering all the questions, all the could say is "mail to: poastage address"

What a F**king inconvienence this is... so of to find an envolope i am.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 11:45
The same thing happened to me. I once wrote a paper on computer piracy and the measures that ligitimate users have had to endure that was printed in a magazine, i'm thinking I might write another...

Security protection has never stopped a pirate from copying a game, but has forced tens of thousands of legitimate users to rebuy stuff they already own.

I'm sick of being encumberred by security protection methods that make it hard or impossible to use my software yet dont stop the pirates at all.

Which is the biggest tool? The computer, or the muppet who invented it?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2004 14:34
They do stop some pirates. I doubtlessly would've copied my mate plenty of games so far, but I can't be bothered to do go find the special hacking software, nor read up on the processes etc. So instead, I just don't bother. Same goes for ripping DVD movies etc. Never looked into it. The deterent that is copy protection is enough to stop someone like me (half-arsed) from doing it.

Funny thing is though, there isn't one single time when we've gone out and bought another copy of the game (normally we'd want to copy it for multiplayer LAN purposes). Thinking about it that way, the copy protection has achieved nothing, except stopped us enjoying multiplayer.

Dynamyt
Years of Service
User Offline
Eric T

Take photos of your disks, the box and the manual and send it off to valve asking for a new CD key that works. The same happened to me with AvP2.

Dynamyt

ooooo Doom II is still alive! (see my avatar)
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 03:10
Eric, I'll give you one.. or two CD keys. I've got like 20... but don't ask how I got them...

----
<Mnemonix> im seroulsiy frunk to doaty
http://www.dbspot.com/ - Free website hosting. Fast and reliable... probably.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 03:05:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 03:05:21