Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / No physics/bscs for me.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 13:28
I was filling up my college application form, then I got to the point where I have to list down 2 courses I want to take. Of course, I asked my mom to help me out there, because I wasn't too sure of which ones to choose. Of course, I wanted to sneak in BS compsci (hehe), but I thought I should go smooth and pick another more "decent" course so she doesn't disagree on the spot. So I said, "How about physics?" then mom was like o_O and said, "Physics... You're interested in that? You won't become anything other than a teacher!"

After she said that, I was the one who went o_O simply because that's physics d00d. How could someone turn down physics? If she can say wtf to physics, I can't imagine how freaked out she'd be had I mentioned compsci first. Yeah. I'm one of those kids whose parents want us to grow up to become doctors and lawyers.

But somewhere inside, that really hurt. Makes me want to burn the 20 lbs. of programming books I wasted all my time on.

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 15:26
I'd turn those emotions into motivation so you can hopefully prove your mom wrong one day.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 16:56 Edited at: 20th Jun 2004 16:59
wtf is wrong with Comp Sci???? It's a pretty much sure fire way to a good job. The entire world is based on computers now. Do the maths! With a computer science qualification, you open a hell of a lot more doors than almost any other qualification. IT maybe unstable, but true professionals can always find work.

If your mum complains at that, bitch slap her for me (only if you want to, obviously. )

EDIT: Physics is good too. Doesn't just mean you can teach. There is no such thing as a physics job, but as a physicist, you are needed everywhere - especially in engineering, and things to do with mechanics. Basically, any job that requires research and will use mechanics will need a physics expert.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2004 18:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2004 18:32
considering the 21st century is built around computers and technology, that has to be one of the most inane comments I ever heard, sure! be a lawyer and make a living out of other peoples misery (and create some more if it`s profitable), or be a doctor and suck the fat out of fat idle slobs 24/7 for a few years while waiting for someone who doesn`t like the result or had their aunty Madge die from complications to sue the arse of you and see you wind up struck off with 10 years training and all the misery interns suffer down the pan, tell your mother computing is a career YOU want, you are not adopting a users/posers lifestyle so that she can boast about it down the hairdressers....er! then again, you might like to rephrase it a bit .

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, Nvidia FX5900 gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 03:01:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 03:01:54