Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newb with questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2004 07:08 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2004 07:09
Ok. I just purchased Dark Basic Lite recently and I was running through the fast track lessons and I was studying the source code for Cave Runner and I have a couple of questions about some snippets.

Ok, I have gathered that this is where they are loading the purple rocks and green grass you see when navigating the cave. However I am confused at the line "delete bitmap 1."

If they are loading these and want to display them, why are we deleting them? (I apologize in advance if these are overly n00b questions)

Once again, thanks to the REMARK feature, I have gathered that we are loading the sound you hear when you crash, and the pretty much inaudible hum that is buried by the music loop. My question is, how does that "set sound speed" thing work?

No damn clue whatsoever, can anyone elaborate on what that's doing?

The rest of it, I am going to try and look up in the help files, but I've got one more snippet I am confused by.

I'm guessing the commands are the way we are forming the way the rock and grass is in-game. But, what do all of the numbers mean and where did this t variable come from and what purpose is it serving?

Once again, I'm sorry if my questions are very n00bish. I'm a recovering T3DGMaholic, entering the DB world.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Pentium4 3GHZ, 512MB DualChannel RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT, SoundBlaster Audigy2, 120 GB HD.
Thoth Onegan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2004 07:12 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2004 07:15
For the loading the bitmap, they grabed the bitmap using get image.
This puts it in memory, so they deleted the bitmap since it wasnt going to be used again.

Sync On sets manual syncing. If you have Sync Off (which is the default) it will automatically update the screen whenever you change something. The problem with this is speed, with Sync On you can say when you want to update the screen, usually at the end of a loop. Then it only updates once per loop instead of every time you change something.
Filmmaker Screenwriter
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. Now I get it...

Pentium4 3GHZ, 512MB DualChannel RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT, SoundBlaster Audigy2, 120 GB HD.
Thoth Onegan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2004 07:26
Set Sound Speed sets the frequency of the sound. Its from 100 to 100,000 and determines how high or low the sound is.

The t is for the for loop
It will set t to 0 the first time, and at next t will increase t by 1
Once t passes 25, its out of the for loop.

The 2 matrixs are the ground and ceiling, the prepare textures are for the graphics on the ground/ceiling. The fill matrix then uses the prepared textures on the matrix.

No problem, have nothing else to do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 14:17:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 14:17:33